Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Selling White Dwarfs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OT: Selling White Dwarfs

Hiya All

I am thinking of clearing some space on my bookshelves and selling my ancient collection of White Dwarf magazines. I never read them and the RQ content is low enough for them not to be very interesting to me.

What I have is WD#20, WD#23-27, WD#29-102 with around 10 duplicates. They are mostly in good condition, hardly ever read and stored in folders. I also have 5 White Dwarf magazine holders (hardback, in red with the White Dwarf logo on the spine and strings in the inside spine for holding magazines).

At the moment, I am leaning towards putting them on e-Bay as single magazines. I don't think people would be interested in buying the whole lot at once and I know that some people would be more interested in the binders than the magazines.

What do you think? Should I:
    • Sell them one at a time?
    • Sell them in batches of 4 or 5?
    • Sell them all at once?
    • Sell the binders separately?
    I've never bought or sold anything on e-Bay before, so I would be interested in people's opinions on how easy it is to sell things there.
    I've also got RuneRiter #1-4 that I found in an old envelope, although I'm not sure what the demand would be for those.
    Last edited by soltakss; September 27th, 2008 at 19:34.
    Simon Phipp - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982.
    Many Systems, One Family

RQ Merrie England (Medieval RPG): http://www.alephtargames.com/index.p...land&Itemid=57 and http://merrieengland.soltakss.com/

RQ/BRP: www.soltakss.com/index.html
    RQ Alternate Earth: Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/alternateearthrq/ Website: http://alternateearthrq.soltakss.com/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I re-bought all my old WDs on eBay, from about #100 back as far as I could afford. As a buyer, I always liked to buy the individual issues, of course - that way I could pick and choose which I wanted. I did end up buying a few duplicates because sellers put them up in batches of 2 to 5.

So, it depends on you. It's more work selling them one-by-one, but you might get rid of them faster. On the other hand, the pre #100 issues sell pretty well, anyway, so you might be able to sell them in batches, too. But I'd definitely sell the pre #40 individually, you should get a good price.

Downloads
    Uploads

I sold a load of gaming mags last year including over 50 White Dwarf's. If I were you I would sell the pre issue 100 seperately and any issues after that in bundles of 3. The binders should definately be sold seperately and should sell easily. You may not make a lot of money for your effort but it's better than nothing and it does free up space for more books The mags will go but you may have to relist some a couple of times to get rid of them all. If you have a scanner I would recomend scanning in any articles you like before you say goodbye to them forever!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Root View Post
    If you have a scanner I would recomend scanning in any articles you like before you say goodbye to them forever!
    Except of course that you wouldn't coz that would be illegal and the Jokeshop do like their litigation. Regardless of the fact that its not possible to but the articles or magazines in a way which provides any money to the authors or IP holders scanning in is illegal in its own right ('No part of this publication may be copied or reporduced........ without the prior permission of the publisher') and owning digital copies of something to which you do not own the original DTF more so (since if you own the DTF you might get away with the defence that you bought and own it anyway and the electronic version is not commercially available)

You might of course think that thought very hard but I'm sure that you would not post the advice in a public forum and put yourself at risk.

Of course selling said magazines on eBay is technically illegal anyway ('shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out ...etc etc')

Al

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a very good point. You should never, ever, scan anything before selling it on eBay or anywhere else, no matter how useful or nostalgically entertaining you might find said scans in the future, not to mention their potential historical value to future generations. And you certainly shouldn't sell them on eBay, either, or anywhere else, although hypothetically the best way to get rid of them would be by putting up the pre #100 issues one-by-one.
    Last edited by Vile; October 11th, 2008 at 14:46.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al. View Post
    Except of course that you wouldn't coz that would be illegal and the Jokeshop do like their litigation. Regardless of the fact that its not possible to but the articles or magazines in a way which provides any money to the authors or IP holders scanning in is illegal in its own right ('No part of this publication may be copied or reporduced........ without the prior permission of the publisher') and owning digital copies of something to which you do not own the original DTF more so (since if you own the DTF you might get away with the defence that you bought and own it anyway and the electronic version is not commercially available)

You might of course think that thought very hard but I'm sure that you would not post the advice in a public forum and put yourself at risk.

Of course selling said magazines on eBay is technically illegal anyway ('shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out ...etc etc')

Al
    Oooooh I'm so scared!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RuneRiter

Quote Originally Posted by soltakss View Post
    I've also got RuneRiter #1-4 that I found in an old envelope, although I'm not sure what the demand would be for those.
    Are these any good? I've heard about them but never seen one.
    「天朝大國」, 很有意思: http://celestialempire.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by soltakss View Post
    Hiya All
    At the moment, I am leaning towards putting them on e-Bay as single magazines. I don't think people would be interested in buying the whole lot at once and I know that some people would be more interested in the binders than the magazines.

What do you think? Should I:
    • Sell them one at a time?
    • Sell them in batches of 4 or 5?
    • Sell them all at once?
    • Sell the binders separately?
    I've never bought or sold anything on e-Bay before, so I would be interested in people's opinions on how easy it is to sell things there.
    One thing you can do when you go to list on ebay is see how similar items have sold recently( relying on my memory). That should help with your decision. Probably the less the stuff is worth, the more you should bundle it up.

I have found that although you can sell the stuff on ebay, it will probably be more work than you think. Replying to buyers questions, figuring out shipping costs to various places in the world, corresponding once the auction is over, packaging up the stuff, getting it to the post, etc. Don't forget to add in all the extra costs into your shipping and handling

If you have a FLGS that will sell used stuff or even just take it off your hands, you might want to consider that for the less valuable stuff.

One of the problems is that the cost of shipping is getting so high that even if someone wants to buy the mag, they probably don't want to pay the real cost of shipping.
    Last edited by wbcreighton; December 2nd, 2013 at 21:55.
    FG Con 4 Virtual RPG Convention
    Thursday May 8 - Sunday May 11 2014
    More info here: http://www.fg-con.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Why are people replying to a five year old thread?

I know that Gianni was asking about the Runerites that Simon had, but surely Simon has sold his White Dwarfs in five years and needs no further advice.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, but are those RuneRites any good?

5 years? Can't be. I'm not that old.