Experience Rolls and INT

Cowboy Duck

The Optional Rule box on page 51 seems to imply that Magic World uses an INT-based experience bonus like the BGB but I can find no other reference to it in the book. Am I just missing it somewhere or am I misreading the box?

The box also should direct readers to page 15 for skill category modifiers instead of page 51.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm not sure where it's written in Magic World but Elric! did indeed base all of its experience rolls on INT. Of course you could mix it up and base experience rolls on skill category modifiers. Just remember to double the modifiers as they are found by halving the appropriate stat.

70/420

The Optional Rule box on page 51 seems to imply that Magic World uses an INT-based experience bonus like the BGB but I can find no other reference to it in the book. Am I just missing it somewhere or am I misreading the box?

But INT DOES play a role in Magic World experience rolls - for high skills... So the optional rule makes sense : a characters chance to improve a skill once it reaches exceptional levels is never worse than the skill category modifier, rather than never worse than their INT. Not sure it's worth it, but it makes sense.

The box also should direct readers to page 15 for skill category modifiers instead of page 51.
yep! looks like a transposition typo.

Cheers,

Nick

Ha! After reading Nick's post I realized I hadn't actually answered the question. When you get to the high skills it no longer becomes possible to roll over them to gain your experience check. Therefore, in order to figure out if you increase your skill you roll against 100 minus your INT score. For a character with an INT of 15 and an Art [Tea Party] 112% they would need to roll an 85 or above to increase their skill in an experience check.

70/420

Sorry, I thought that was clear enough. It simply means that instead of INT, use DEX for Manipulation skills, STR for Physical skills, APP for Communication, etc.

And yes, the 15/51 typo has been caught, and is in the list of errors I sent off to Chaosium a while ago. Eventually they'll update the PDF with the corrected information.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.