Thread: DragonQuest

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DragonQuest

A friend of mine is a DragonQuest player, and I'm interested in inviting him to my BRP games. Therefore, I'm wondering how similar DragonQuest is to other D100 games? Is it a derivation of BRP? I know it is based on D100 rolls.
    You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a while, but IIRC DragonQuest has very little similarity to BRP (at least in the 1st edition). It's a hybrid of class and skill systems, more like Star Frontiers. On the plus side, BRP is a lot easier to understand.
    Frank
    "A hidden corridor! Fortunately it was labeled!" -- Sadie Doyle, "Beyond Belief: Sarcophagus Now", The Thrilling Adventure Hour

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

No. DQ is not a BRP game. It's a truly wonderful example of how to write an rpg as an SPI game, with headings and sub heading and all that.
    It is a truly underrated game that deserved a much greater light in the sun.
    You friend will have no problems with BRP, save that he may see similarities and interpret them in a DQ way, but that'll pass.
    In fact he'll probably find BRP as much looser, which he may or may not like!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, unless you mean the simple TSR game of the same name, a kind of boardgame they did later..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tzunder View Post
    Oh, unless you mean the simple TSR game of the same name, a kind of boardgame they did later..
    No, I meant the game you were talking about.
    You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Va View Post
    A friend of mine is a DragonQuest player, and I'm interested in inviting him to my BRP games. Therefore, I'm wondering how similar DragonQuest is to other D100 games? Is it a derivation of BRP? I know it is based on D100 rolls.
    A game I tried to like when I was a young kid looking for a better game then the hit point inflating world of D&D. I was disappointed by lengthy character creation and all the fiddly bits. Went on to Rolemaster, and was once again disappointed. Finally settled on Chaosium's Stormbringer/Elric! in all its incarnations.

Currently I like very simple rules-lite mechanics, but I would go back to Elric! in a heartbeat. The full BRP system is a bit bloated for my taste. The quick start rules work just fine for me.
    The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a copy of DQ (SPI) as a teen, and re ought one the other year. While it uses %, it's not related to the BRP family. The magic & system of colleges and demons are unique, I think, so a cheap copy might be mineable.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's rare to see a cheap copy. It was a very good game for it's time and was crushed by TSR. Shame since although a bit SPI fiddly, it would have made a lot of people very very happy.
    I played it at Uni and I really grokked it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tzunder View Post
    It's rare to see a cheap copy.
    True, but it is not difficult at all to find the rules on the Internet and download them,
    just like SPI's science fiction game Universe or TSR's Star Frontiers SPI's fantasy ga-
    me Dragon Quest is still kept alive by a dedicated community of fans. I would add a
    link to a download site, but I am not really sure concerning the legal status ...
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)