Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firing into Combat

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Firing into Combat

Can someone provide an example for the "Firing into Combat" rule on p. 224 of the Basic Roleplaying core rulebook? It says that firing into combat incurs a 20% penalty, but in the next paragraph, it says "The chance of hitting a particular target is divided equally by the total number of beings in the melee. If the attacker rolls a number between his or her skill rating and the chance modified (as above) for shooting into melee, the GM should randomly determine which of the targets was struck, by rolling randomly with an equivalent die roll, or by asking all potential targets to make a Luck roll and choosing the biggest failure.

Why does the player divide the chance of hitting if the GM will determine afterwards who was hit with a die roll, and vice versa? Am I mis-reading something? I'm not seeing this rule for some reason.
    Last edited by Paul_Va; December 2nd, 2013 at 19:36.
    You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Va View Post
    Can someone provide an example for the "Firing into Combat" rule on p. 224 of the Basic Roleplaying core rulebook? It says that firing into combat incurs a 20% penalty, but in the next paragraph, it says "The chance of hitting a particular target is divided equally by the total number of beings in the melee. If the attacker rolls a number between his or her skill rating and the chance modified (as above) for shooting into melee, the GM should randomly determine which of the targets was struck, by rolling randomly with an equivalent die roll, or by asking all potential targets to make a Luck roll and choosing the biggest failure.

Why does the player divide the chance of hitting if the GM will determine afterwards who was hit with a die roll, and vice versa? Am I mis-reading something? I'm not seeing this rule for some reason.
    I'll explain it with an example: Say the attacker has an 80% Attack skill. If he fires into a melee and rolls a 01-60% (the Attack skill -20%) he has struck his intended target. If he rolls a 61-80% result (skill before modification), he has hit someone. Roll randomly, equal chance of each. Finally, if he rolls 81%+, he misses as normal.

Rod
    Last edited by threedeesix; December 2nd, 2013 at 21:56.
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by threedeesix View Post
    I'll explain it with an example: Say the attacker has an 80% Attack skill. If he fires into a melee and rolls a 01-60% (the Attack skill -20%) he has struck his intended target. If he rolls a 61-80% result (skill before modification), he has hit someone. Roll randomly, equal chance of each. Finally, if he rolls 81%+, he misses as normal.

Rod
    Excellent. That clears it up perfectly, Rod. Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent. That clears it up perfectly, Rod. Thank you.
    I also take into account large SIZ differences between the combatants of 200% or greater. So if 2 SIZ 20 trolls are in melee with one SIZ 10 elf and an archer fires an arrow at one of the trolls and misses, the chance of hitting the elf will be lower than the other troll. I would roll 1D3 with the troll being hit on a 1-2 and the elf on a 3.

Downloads
    Uploads

I believe the rule is copy/paste from Runequest 3. The rule in RQ3 has an example that states:

"Cormac comes upon Signy and Nikolos beset by three brigands. Reacting to the threat of his friends, he throws his javelin at one of the bandits.

His current ability with the Javelin is 67%, and there are five people meleeing, so Cormac has a 13% chance to hit his target (67% divided by 5 equals 13%). Cormac's player rolls a 43, which is over the 13% but under his chance of hitting someone. Since there are five potential targets, the gamemaster rolls a D10, designating Signy as 1-2, Nikolos 3-4, Brigand A is 5-6, brigand B is 7-8, and Brigand C is 9-10. The roll is 7, and it is Brigand B who takes the javelin shot."

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ptingler View Post
    I believe the rule is copy/paste from Runequest 3. The rule in RQ3 has an example that states:

"Cormac comes upon Signy and Nikolos beset by three brigands. Reacting to the threat of his friends, he throws his javelin at one of the bandits.

His current ability with the Javelin is 67%, and there are five people meleeing, so Cormac has a 13% chance to hit his target (67% divided by 5 equals 13%). Cormac's player rolls a 43, which is over the 13% but under his chance of hitting someone. Since there are five potential targets, the gamemaster rolls a D10, designating Signy as 1-2, Nikolos 3-4, Brigand A is 5-6, brigand B is 7-8, and Brigand C is 9-10. The roll is 7, and it is Brigand B who takes the javelin shot."
    Hmm, well that explains the part that says to divide the percentage. I notice the example didn't subtract 20% first though. Perhaps the new rule is to subtract the 20% first, then divide the remaining percentage into the number of melee participants, and if you role equal to or under the lowest, you hit your target?

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hmm, well that explains the part that says to divide the percentage. I notice the example didn't subtract 20% first though. Perhaps the new rule is to subtract the 20% first, then divide the remaining percentage into the number of melee participants, and if you role equal to or under the lowest, you hit your target?
    There similar but two different rules. BRP uses the flat 20% penalty, RQ uses the "divide by the number in the melee".

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by threedeesix View Post
    I'll explain it with an example
    Ooooooh. That's very good. I don't know what rule I have been using but it wasn't that. That's much nicer than the kludge that I had going. I guess it does pay to read the rule book. Thanks Rod.
    70/420

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chaot View Post
    Ooooooh. That's very good. I don't know what rule I have been using but it wasn't that. That's much nicer than the kludge that I had going. I guess it does pay to read the rule book. Thanks Rod.
    No problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Firing Into Combat section in BRP has 3 paragraphs, 2 of which are from the RQ3 rules. The 1st paragraph with the 20% is in addition to the 2 paragraphs taken from RQ3. Threedeesix's reading of the rule is a good one, but you could also do as you said and subtract 20% and then divide skill by participants. Whichever you think makes more sense for your table.