'Fighter-Mage' in Magic World

QueenJadisOfCharn

I am considering adding Magic World to my stack and I was curious how well one could generate a fighter-mage. Of course I know Runequest and Stormbringer give pretty much everyone some basic spells, but I mean an actual wizard who is also a warrior. Think the D&D or AD&D Elf F/MU - longsword, full plate and real sorcery.

All you need is a POW of 16, and you can cast magic. If you want to make a "Fighter/Mage", just make sure you've got a competent fighter and meet the POW requirement. Easy-peasy.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

I certainly hope you enjo it. Also, look out for th Advacned Sorcery supplement. Should be out in a month or two, and will offer you a ton of extra magic options.

And, if you have any questions about th game, this is the forum to ask!

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Don't forget that Magic World, in common with most of the D100-style games, doesn't really restrict skills by profession.

So, mages are not restricted to magic-using skills and are not forbidden from using weapons and wearing armour.

That means that it is very easy to play a Fighter-Mage, in the same way as it is easy to play an Assassin-Healer or whichever combination you want.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

That's an excellent point Simon makes. In MW, much like in other BRP-based games, you define your Adventurer however you so choose. You pick where to put your skill points, what spells you have, etc. By default you roll your stats randomly, but in my home games, I never bother with that. I just let the players decide what stat numbers they want within reason.

"Go with the flow" is my motto as a GM.

That's an excellent point Simon makes. In MW, much like in other BRP-based games, you define your Adventurer however you so choose. You pick where to put your skill points, what spells you have, etc. By default you roll your stats randomly, but in my home games, I never bother with that. I just let the players decide what stat numbers they want within reason.

"Go with the flow" is my motto as a GM.

The reason I asked is because Glorantha 2nd Age has negative Magic Point modifiers dor iron gear , and Classic Fantasy has increased Fumbles and a skill penalty for armored casting. I always liked playing Elves in D&D because of their ability to wear 50lbs of steel skin and still cast spells.

In any case, I've placed my order and await the book. I'll probably end up playing some pidgin BRP ultimately, since there are tons of things I like about the different d100 games I have.

The reason I asked is because Glorantha 2nd Age has negative Magic Point modifiers dor iron gear , and Classic Fantasy has increased Fumbles and a skill penalty for armored casting. I always liked playing Elves in D&D because of their ability to wear 50lbs of steel skin and still cast spells.

Ah, that's because, in Glorantha, unenchanted iron is a magic-sink, making it harder to use and be affected by magic. Enchanted iron is fine, though, and has no penalty.

Wearing armour makes spell-casting harder, not because it's armour but because it's heavy. Carrying a huge backpack would have the same effect.

In any case, I've placed my order and await the book. I'll probably end up playing some pidgin BRP ultimately, since there are tons of things I like about the different d100 games I have.

That is by far the best way - use the base system that suits you best and being in rules from other systems. Most of the rules from the D100 family fit in reasonably well with all the other systems.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I got Magic World in an created the character I had in mind (using random statistics, as I like it like that.) I used the book's version of the Elf. The results were pleasing, though it took me a while to figure out how weapon skills worked (I was looking for an extensive list of weapon skills, ala Stormbringer!) My broadsword also cost me most of my money, but the character should be a competent fighter and sorcerer, I'll just have to parry or run until I get some steel hide.

And jeez are elves smart. I know d100 attributes aren't as indicative as AD&D's, but a 19 intelligence, 17 dexterity and a 17 power is a pretty impressive littl guy. I even managed to roll a 12 Str and 9 Size. My previous attempt, using OpenQuest, ended up with an 8 Str and 7 SZ, which made him kinda useless in melee.

Edited by QueenJadisOfCharn

Being small and weak isn't that much of a penalty in combat, especially if quick.

I'd have let you have the broadsword as part of starting equipment, though.

Yup. You get free any "trade tools associated with your occupation". If you're some kind of trained soldier, you should at least have a sword or spear of some sort.

Yup. You get free any "trade tools associated with your occupation". If you're some kind of trained soldier, you should at least have a sword or spear of some sort.

Missed that!

I created him in Stormbringer 1e, OpenQuest, MRQ, Magic World and BRP+Classic Fantasy. I'm going to try Runequest 6 next. It was easy enough in all cases, except for the MRQ spell weirdness. The Stormbringer character was insanely powerful, as translated Elf as Melnibonean, and you know how that goes in SB - you end up with 4 professions and a 22 INT. The guy had insane amounts of property and money and full plate. Overall I think Magic World got the closest to what I had in mind, the Stormbringer character was so wealthy and upper class that he didn't suit my mercenary concept.