Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decided on BRP as my Core d100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Decided on BRP as my Core d100

I decided to venture into d100 recently, and with a stack of practically every variation printed or OGL I went over them, creating a character and looking over magic and battle rules.
    In the end, I came down to three systems for use as my core: BRP BGB, RuneQuest 6 or OpenQuest. I eliminated OpenQuest because I like skills by weapon and hit locations and adding them on seemed like superfluous work when I had 6 other games with those features. RuneQuest 6 intruiged me, but the combat seemed a wee bit too cinematic for me, on the other hand I do like the Cult system of RQ6. What ultimately decided it was the list of equivalent skills in the back of the BGB, which makes it easier to put creatures and features from other d100 games. I will, however, be using RQ6 cults essentially RAW.
    Last edited by QueenJadisOfCharn; December 23rd, 2013 at 15:11.

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

With BRP and "BRP related" products, there is really no way to make a wrong choice. Welcome to the fold.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by threedeesix View Post
    With BRP and "BRP related" products, there is really no way to make a wrong choice. Welcome to the fold.

Rod
    I'm actually going to use some of the Classic Fantasy spells for Sorcery.

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJadisOfCharn View Post
    I'm actually going to use some of the Classic Fantasy spells for Sorcery.
    Actually, the CF spells are additions the BRP Magic, not Sorcery which uses a different system.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by threedeesix View Post
    Actually, the CF spells are additions the BRP Magic, not Sorcery which uses a different system.

Rod
    Right, I was using the terms interchangeably.

Queensland, AUSTRALIA - "Hot one day, Tropical the next!"
    Downloads
    Uploads

I tend to use BRP BGB with a lot of options, as I originally got into the system through RQ3 in the 80s, and the BGB allows me to continue along without too many dramatic changes. My players know these rules as well, so its less disruption. Actually if it wasn't for them, I would probably use RQ6 instead. However, its pretty easy to port rules into the base form of BRP, so I often have elements from RQ6, MW, OQ, CF and other supplements.

Its a great system that appeals to both simulationalist and narrative play styles, you won't be disappointed!

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess you can run BGB. I think of it as a book of options. So, I run a base game, say Runequest 2, with some BGB options, and some house rules.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been thinking about using the BRP book myself. I have both Magic World and latest RuneQuest and love them both but personally I land somewhere between those two and I am so torn so I have decided to use BRP as a base in the future as it contains all the options needed to tailor my favourite game. But all games are so closely related that I see no problem using stuff from one game in another. For example we are currently running the Book of Quest campaign with RQ6 but I have decided to complete the campaign with BRP instead letting them create new BRP characters that take over where the RQ characters left off.
    Last edited by Chorpa; December 25th, 2013 at 05:57.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chorpa View Post
    I have been thinking about using the BRP book myself. I have both Magic World and latest RuneQuest and love them both but personally I land somewhere between those two and I am so torn so I have decided to use BRP as a base in the future as it contains all the options needed to tailor my favourite game. But all games are so closely related that I see no problem using stuff from one game in another. For example we are currently running the Book of Quest campaign with RQ6 but I have decided to complete the campaign with BRP instead letting them create new BRP characters that take over where the RQ characters left off.
    I have Magic World, RQ6, Stormbringer and, like you, I find myself wanting to use this and that from here and there; I feel like BRP establishes a good baseline of then kind of gritty play I want, to which I can adapt elements I want - RA6 cults, spells from Renaissanceuxe, Call of Cthulu and Magic World.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am enjoying using RQ6 right now and I shall focus on that rule set for a year. But then I may switch to a BRP game, or an OQ game. The nice thing about d100 is that they're all close enough that you can switch easily, but I also find, and this is important, that they're a bit too close to run in parallel without getting confused.