Thread: Spells: Simple Adaptation to BRP Magic

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spells: Simple Adaptation to BRP Magic

I really like the spells in Renaissance Deluxe, and I want to adapt them to the Magic or Sorcery system of BRP. Now the MAG could be used as an indicator of spell level, but I am new to both systems. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Don't convert. Just lift and drop the whole system into your BRP game. It's simpler and unlikely to break, and you get to use it rather than messing with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tzunder View Post
    Don't convert. Just lift and drop the whole system into your BRP game. It's simpler and unlikely to break, and you get to use it rather than messing with it.
    I second this very sound advice. My experience with the d100 family is that the best conversion is not converting anything. If you don't convert you immediately get something that works 90% of the times and when it doesn't it is very easy to adjust on the fly (e.g. opposed roll -> resistance table, or rolled strike rank -> fixed dex rank) or ignore the difference (5% critical vs. 10% critical vs. 01 impale, just ignore and let the effect become more or less powerful!). If you convert you get lost in the dozens of very minute differences between the different d100 systems. And bad conversions are bad.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds sensible, and it really doesn't require conversion; I just ne ed characters using Witchcraft to have a MAG statistic calculated.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJadisOfCharn View Post
    Sounds sensible, and it really doesn't require conversion; I just ne ed characters using Witchcraft to have a MAG statistic calculated.
    Exactly. There is nothing to stop you adding a new stat here and there in your game.

Queensland, AUSTRALIA - "Hot one day, Tropical the next!"
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also recommend porting Renaissance's Witchcraft over to BRP pretty much as its written, just work out MAG the same way and give it to characters who know Witchcraft. Of course, you also need to port over Righteousness Points, although you could use BRP's Allegiance instead, as its pretty much the same concept,