Which engine for the next Elric / Eternal Champion Rpg ?

smiorgan

Which rules engine for the next incarnation of the Eternal Champion?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which rules engine for the next incarnation of the Eternal Champion?

• Continue with MRQ2 / Legend
    • Go for straight BGB BRP, all the worlds of the Multiverse are already there!
    • Follow Ranyart Finn and go for RQ6!
    • Magic World, which is already a strange incarnation of the Eternal Game
    • Praise Queen Gloriana and go for Renaissance. Wheldrake will surely approve.
    • Open Quest 2, well it already has an Elric lookalike on its cover!
    • None of the above! The ultimate d100 system for Elric has yet to be invented.
    • Enough d100! Let's go for something entirely different.

So, Mongoose Elric has died. If you were to choose the rules engine for the next incarnation of the Eternal Champion, which would you pick?

Note that the poll is d100-centric and that some of the options are very improbable - looking at the past history of the license.

Edited by smiorgan

... and that some of the options are very improbable - looking at the past history of the license.

Actually, all d100 options - if Mongoose was unable to keep the license, no current d100 publisher

has the money to successfully go for it. Which I do not consider as a problem, because the huge

majority of roleplaying games based upon licenses were commercial failures which damaged their

publishers.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Hmmm, someone could always do an end run around the license by publishing an Elric-alike setting with the serial numbers filed off. If we already have the mechanics written, one post-apocaylptic kingdom (young or otherwise) looks pretty much like another, and mysterious highbrow elves with attitudes are common in many settings.

Hmmm, someone could always do an end run around the license by publishing an Elric-alike setting with the serial numbers filed off. If we already have the mechanics written, one post-apocaylptic kingdom (young or otherwise) looks pretty much like another, and mysterious highbrow elves with attitudes are common in many settings.

MagicWorld isn't that far off.

I like the Mongoose Elric covers. He looks very muscular on my copy of Elric of Melnibone, which is somewhat inaccurate, but I like it.

I hated both. The best (IMHO) is the Brunner picture that graces the 1st ed Stormbringer boxed set (and 1st ed Elric!). It perfectly captures the sadness, brutal, slavish nature of man and sword. The reason it succeeds it because both Stormbringer and Elric are given equal definition and poise. No other illustration I've seen captures that symbiotic relationship.

• Like 2

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Hate to be a pedant, but its the french tranlation of MRQ2 Elric (the logo is in the corner)

I hate to be the French-speaking uber-pedant who corrects the pedant but it's NOT the French translation of MRQ2. It's a completely new game and it's not d100 as you can see from the character sheet

http://www.sombresprojets.com/mournblade/pdf/mournblade-fdp.pdf

that you can download from their website:

http://www.sombresprojets.com/mournblade/

As to why the Mongoose logo is there I have no idea. Maybe they got the licence indirectly from Mongoose...

I hated both. The best (IMHO) is the Brunner picture that graces the 1st ed Stormbringer boxed set (and 1st ed Elric!). It perfectly captures the sadness, brutal, slavish nature of man and sword. The reason it succeeds it because both Stormbringer and Elric are given equal definition and poise. No other illustration I've seen captures that symbiotic relationship.

I agree that was a great picture!

The "horn of fate blowing and Melniboné in ruins" picture of Stormbringer 4 was not bad either, even if the Pteranodon-like dragon seemed kinda wrong.

I see that there is a (relative) majority of votes for RQ6 - which is understandable, given the excellent work done by Loz for MRQ2 Elric.

I was looking at my copy of MRQ2 Elric this morning over breakfast. It's an incredibly complete work. Everything seems to be in there. You can use it to run all kinds of Elric campaigns from relatively old school fast-paced sword and demon to subtle dreamthieving intrigue, from angsty games where characters struggle as slaves of the higher powers to apocalypse and crazy plane hopping.

Apart from the ugly cover and lousy layout, there is not much I would change. So, what could be in RQ6 Elric - apart better layout and better art?

My favourite incarnation of the EC stuff is Elric! RPG which made me fall in love with the game system.

"Go for straight BGB BRP, all the worlds of the Multiverse are already there!" Unfortunately Moorcock had a big fallout with Chaosium a long while back, so you are unlikely to see a BGB BRP supplement for the YK setting anytime soon. :_(

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?p=237034

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I like Elric as a whirlwind or a black knight, more than anything, and I HATE skinny Elric, or skinny elves in general. Elric has a light build and constitutional issues, but he's a life long rider and swordfighter; I find it ridiculous that he wouldn't be ahtletic. It's like people forget that ' androgynous' means both sexes, not GIRLY. So, between the alternatives, I'll take Olympics Elric over atrophied man.

Other than not making Elric pretty enoug and making him seem too skinny, I agree that Brunner's art is quality composition. The Stormbringer! boxed set is one of the first RPGs I was given.

Edited by QueenJadisOfCharn

My favourite incarnation of the EC stuff is Elric! RPG which made me fall in love with the game system.

"Go for straight BGB BRP, all the worlds of the Multiverse are already there!" Unfortunately Moorcock had a big fallout with Chaosium a long while back, so you are unlikely to see a BGB BRP supplement for the YK setting anytime soon. :_(

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?p=237034

Yes. Unfortunately. That's a sad old story. And that's why I wrote that some of the options were not realistic.

I wouldn't expect any Eternal Champion stuff for D100 games at all.

Although the systems fit the Eternal Champion line very well, there is just too much variety in the settings. Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, Jerry Cornelius, Von Bek, Oswald Bastable and Michael Kane all have rich settings that could fill a dozen supplements each to do them justice. Who has the time and money to invest in these licences?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

For me, the best edition is Elric! It is a compact, full of information and well organized book. Later I bought SB5 but really missed the previous layout. IMO the most evocative cover is the green one from 4th edition (I believe). I chose 'Enough d100' because I got tired of buying and switching between editions, supplements and incomplete info, like the Atlas of de YK. Nowadays I mostly play with a homebrew more "narrative" system that lets me explore the Moorcockian multiverse without the need of much system details. However, I think the Design Mechanism could do a serious and good support for the setting.

Edited by el_octogono
spelling

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

Other than not making Elric pretty enoug and making him seem too skinny, I agree that Brunner's art is quality composition. The Stormbringer! boxed set is one of the first RPGs I was given.

To digress from the main subject of this thread...do you like Elric as portrayed in this french graphic novel, Le Trone de Rubis?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le+trone+de+rubis&lr=&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1Q3IUt7tGIK3hQfWpoCwDg&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=896

Edited by Conrad
Parlez vous francais?
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

To digress from the main subject of this thread...do you like Elric as portrayed in this french graphic novel, Le Trone de Rubis?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le+trone+de+rubis&lr=&as_qdr=all&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1Q3IUt7tGIK3hQfWpoCwDg&ved=0CFEQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=896

Yes. I really like the picture where the sits on the rubie throne with Strombringer in front of him. It as the same synergistic vibe that Loz was describing earlier. It would make a great cover for the Elric/Stormbringer rpg powered by RQ6 :).

I myself picture Elric with a tall, broad shouldered bit otherwise slim athlectic build (not skinny). He is sickly but throught drugs and herbs, he did train to because a swordmaster. I am sure he has put some fine muscles on his slim frame.

As alluded in my previous post, I'd favor a new edition using RQ6 mainly because I would trust Loz and Pete to produce the definite version of the game capable of delivering both worldshaking type of adventures as well as low powered sword and sorcery struggle in the YK.

I am very pleased by what I have seen from DM so far and RQ6 is, in my opinion, the most polished BRP game out there. They would have my support... although I don't really believe it will happen...

I do, he looks impressive, morose and very handsome.

I'd like to see a totally new game focusing on the angst and emotions, a non BRP rethink. Not that I don't love d100 YK, it's my roots man, just that it's all been done very very well, and it doesn't need doing again.

Eternal Champion: Smallville Edition. I'd dig that. I wouldn't mind seeing it done up in some other flavor of FATE, like taking Dresden Files city builder and using it as a multiverse builder. I'd also be interested in something like Cinematic Unisystem which prides itself in having uber powerful PCs work along side joe schmoe (and because Ash is obviously an aspect of the Eternal Champion).

I love the YK and have played in it for years, but there's so much about it out there now that I don't really see a need for additional books. I don't even have a number of the Mongoose books and I'm full.

70/420