View Poll Results: Which rules engine for the next incarnation of the Eternal Champion?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue with MRQ2 / Legend

0 0%
  • Go for straight BGB BRP, all the worlds of the Multiverse are already there!

6 18.75%
  • Follow Ranyart Finn and go for RQ6!

10 31.25%
  • Magic World, which is already a strange incarnation of the Eternal Game

8 25.00%
  • Praise Queen Gloriana and go for Renaissance. Wheldrake will surely approve.

0 0%
  • Open Quest 2, well it already has an Elric lookalike on its cover!

1 3.13%
  • None of the above! The ultimate d100 system for Elric has yet to be invented.

1 3.13%
  • Enough d100! Let's go for something entirely different.

6 18.75%

Thread: Which engine for the next Elric / Eternal Champion Rpg ?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Which engine for the next Elric / Eternal Champion Rpg ?

So, Mongoose Elric has died. If you were to choose the rules engine for the next incarnation of the Eternal Champion, which would you pick?

Note that the poll is d100-centric and that some of the options are very improbable - looking at the past history of the license.
    Last edited by smiorgan; January 2nd, 2014 at 15:26.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by smiorgan View Post
    ... and that some of the options are very improbable - looking at the past history of the license.
    Actually, all d100 options - if Mongoose was unable to keep the license, no current d100 publisher
    has the money to successfully go for it. Which I do not consider as a problem, because the huge
    majority of roleplaying games based upon licenses were commercial failures which damaged their
    publishers.
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

Honestly, why not just use on of the d100 Stormbringer games in existence? BRP seems more like Stormbringer and RuneQuest than any other d100 game, so it's easy to flip the switches of SB. Use the background and professions from whichever edition on prefers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm, someone could always do an end run around the license by publishing an Elric-alike setting with the serial numbers filed off. If we already have the mechanics written, one post-apocaylptic kingdom (young or otherwise) looks pretty much like another, and mysterious highbrow elves with attitudes are common in many settings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    Hmmm, someone could always do an end run around the license by publishing an Elric-alike setting with the serial numbers filed off. If we already have the mechanics written, one post-apocaylptic kingdom (young or otherwise) looks pretty much like another, and mysterious highbrow elves with attitudes are common in many settings.
    MagicWorld isn't that far off.

Downloads
    Uploads

In case you did not know... here is somethig that I have recently come across. There is one officially licensed Eternal Champion rpg that is currently in print, which appeared in 2012. It's in French, it's non d100 and it's called...

MOURNBLADE!

http://www.black-book-editions.fr/produit.php?id=349

Downloads
    Uploads

Hate to be a pedant, but its the french tranlation of MRQ2 Elric (the logo is in the corner)
    Toddle pip!

;O) Newt
    D101 Games, putting out the Free OGL OpenQuest, D100 gaming made simple & OGL.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the Mongoose Elric covers. He looks very muscular on my copy of Elric of Melnibone, which is somewhat inaccurate, but I like it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJadisOfCharn View Post
    I like the Mongoose Elric covers. He looks very muscular on my copy of Elric of Melnibone, which is somewhat inaccurate, but I like it.
    I hated both. The best (IMHO) is the Brunner picture that graces the 1st ed Stormbringer boxed set (and 1st ed Elric!). It perfectly captures the sadness, brutal, slavish nature of man and sword. The reason it succeeds it because both Stormbringer and Elric are given equal definition and poise. No other illustration I've seen captures that symbiotic relationship.
    The Design Mechanism: Publishers of RuneQuest 6th Edition
    www.thedesignmechanism.com