View Poll Results: RuneQuest used with Glorantha?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • RuneQuest + Glorantha

16 39.02%
  • RuneQuest + Other Setting

25 60.98%
  • Glorantha + Other System

4 9.76%
  • Magic World, baby! Those other options are sooo '80s

9 21.95%
  • We tried Call of Cthulhu + Glorantha but no one could tell the difference

1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RuneQuest vs. Glorantha poll

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RuneQuest vs. Glorantha poll

Just idle curiosity: RuneQuest and Glorantha have their own subsections on these threads (for property ownership reasons). How many people put their RQ game in its traditional setting? How many people use Glorantha with some other system? How many people set their RQ campaign in another setting, either pre-packaged or of their own devising?

Downloads
    Uploads

100% of voters picked RQ+Glorantha... Oh wait, no one else has voted yet...
    Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Downloads
    Uploads

I like Glorantha, but I've never used it in full, only cannibalized parts of it into my otherwise more-or-less homebrewed campaigns.
    So, RQ+other setting for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pretty much everyone I play with avoids published settings.
    We seek out systems we like and homebrew the setting.
    The only 2 exceptions for our group, in the last 20ish years, would be Star Wars D6 which was of course set in the Star Wars Universe and Buffy:TVS/Angel which was set in the tv series universe.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never run a game in straight up Glorantha (or any other pre-fab settings) but I've used huge chunks of it.
    Nowadays I'd probably just go with Magic World though... and sprinkle in the Broo, re-branded cults, etc. for flavor.

Queensland, AUSTRALIA - "Hot one day, Tropical the next!"
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have played most of my Gloranthan games using some version of RQ. I briefly used Hero Wars (now HeroQuest) for a year or so, but then moved back to RQ and used the Issaries Inc products with RQ as default. I was impressed with MRQ2 but didn't actually GM any 2nd Age Gloranthan material. I really like RQ6, and will more than likely continue with 3rd Age Glorantha for a default setting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    Just idle curiosity: RuneQuest and Glorantha have their own subsections on these threads (for property ownership reasons). How many people put their RQ game in its traditional setting? How many people use Glorantha with some other system? How many people set their RQ campaign in another setting, either pre-packaged or of their own devising?
    I haven't RUN Runequest AND Glorantha together for DECADES - I played in an RQIII Glorantha game last summer, but when we return to it that game is switching to BRP. If I were to run in Glorantha I'd probably use Magic World with borrowings from BRP; but Magic World is pretty much my go to BRP system at present.

cheers,

Nick
    My friends and I walked the Coast to Coast last summer for Meningitis UK - thanks to everyone who donated, we raised 2,544.50
    Uncounted Worlds
    Outpost 19 SF Adventure for BRP

Downloads
    Uploads

For me, RQ=Glorantha. I modify freely, however.

Downloads
    Uploads

For the most part, I've used RQ for other settings - my own homebrewed worlds, or settings like The World of Xoth (as presented in The Spider God's Bride). It's been a long time since I've used it for Glorantha. If I did run a Glorantha campaign, I'd likely use RQ2. (And even then, it wouldn't be a canonical Glorantha - more an interpretation).

I find Option 4 - Magic World, yaddayadda - to be a little strange. Considering MW is a retread of RQ3 (80's) and Elric! (early 90s, but with parts that originated in the 80's, as well). There's nothing about the mechanics of MW that strikes me as shiny and (more) modern. The cover art would qualify - but a lot of the interior art is recycled from 80's sources.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by K Peterson View Post
    I find Option 4 - Magic World, yaddayadda - to be a little strange. Considering MW is a retread of RQ3 (80's) and Elric! (early 90s, but with parts that originated in the 80's, as well). There's nothing about the mechanics of MW that strikes me as shiny and (more) modern. The cover art would qualify - but a lot of the interior art is recycled from 80's sources.
    Actually, the last two poll options were intended as a jest. Elric!-derived Magic World is, as you've noted, almost as venerable as RQ. And a Call of Cthulhu campaign set in Glorantha would be painfully short -- since literally everyone in that world is technically a cultist of one stripe or another.

Incidentally, my local used bookstore has had several copies of Mongoose's Glornatha Second Age sourcebook floating around (at the original $20-something price ). Skimming it left me a tad confused. It contains character options, race and magic information, critter stats, but somehow seems more like a pile of game mechanics -- like one of those old Palladium supplements -- than a setting to me. Maybe I didn't get to the fluff part, which is what makes a setting for me. Lists of spells, for instance, make more sense when you've learned something of the religion that backs them. My quick read left me less inclined to buy than more inclined.
    Last edited by seneschal; 2 Weeks Ago at 16:30. Reason: Add comment