Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What rule sets/settings have you ported into BRP?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What rule sets/settings have you ported into BRP?

What settings/rule sets have you ported into BRP? Just curious how any experiments with other settings operate using BRP rules.

Settings/Rule sets I have experimented with:
    D20...BRP makes combat so much faster, but has a tendency to reduce the overall power level of characters.
    Marvel Super Heroes...with some issues, pretty much makes it unplayable as I have it right now I would just use Superworld, but a lot of the high end stuff does not model well into BRP without making the game ridiculously lethal
    BattleTech
    Battlestar Galactica
    Supernatural
    Serenity
    CthulhuTech
    Cyberpunk
    Fuzion/Champions...a good mid power superpower campaign can be built from this
    Dark Conspiracy
    DC Adventures...with some issues
    FASATrek
    LUGTrek... I am not happy with it after years of working with it. LUGTrek is so self contained, it is hard to unravel parts of it for BRP and still have the same flavor of game.
    GURPS...but very clunky
    Traveller, although I pretty much just use T20 and then translate from D20 to BRP
    Palladium...almost no difference in game play experience
    Recon...no difference in game play
    Shadowrun...the game plays almost the same, but it is slightly more lethal
    D6 Star Wars...translated to D20, then to BRP
    Star Wars D20...plays very well, but it makes Force Users a bit overpowered
    Terran Trade Authority
    Twilight 2000
    Warhammer 40K...still a work in progress, after like 8 years, I an just not happy with it
    Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War/Deathwatch/Dark Crusade...pretty easy conversion, but a lot more lethal in BRP
    World of Darkness...takes a lot of work to translate characters, but plays well enough.

-STS

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow. You've been busy!
    70/420

Downloads
    Uploads

I prefer my own settings and rarely use commercial ones, so there was little need to
    convert other systems into BRP ones. The only ones that come to my mind are Blue
    Planet, D&D 3.5, Harnmaster, Lodland*, Perry Rhodan* and Traveller.

* German roleplaying games
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a lazy guy and I've always found BRP had terrific settings (Lovecraft, Moorcock, Glorantha). So, I've always used BRP published setting. What I often did was crossovers and setting-mix. Chtulhu 1920 + Ellric + Corum + Lovecraft's Dreamlands, or Elric + RQ Griffin Island. I also did a lot of Hawkmoon + Elric, but that is expected!

Downloads
    Uploads

My own custom setting, Tentatively titled Metaverse, used to have it's own backing as a system. It was basically a mixture of BRP in mechanics and Numinara in tone in it's original form.

Since then I've revised into into a more complex vision of a planescape-esque world with major lovecraftian elements lurking in the shadows of profane and divine creatures warring over planes while simultaneously trying to keep the balance between their innately opposing forces to prevent the lovecraftian nasties from entering reality at large.

A setting where damnation and salvation are on a knife's edge, from reality, mythology, and unreality at once, through manipulations of time, space, and dimensions. Through methods involving magic, machinery, sorcery and psionics.

Converting this setting to BRP was one of the best moves I had made with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

A friend of mine is working on Garweeze Wurld from Hackmaster and the Greyhawk setting into BRP, combining the two of them as continents on Aldrazar, but I don't know how much he's porting Other than geography and history.

Downloads
    Uploads

As much of a fantasy/horror DM as I am, I've been (painstakingly slowly) converting Spycraft Classic into BRP. Unfortunately, a lot of D20's extra junk (i.e. feats, special class abilities based on levels, etc.) are taking me a while to actually work out in my own head. I generally just mull things over as I work/sleep/play/travel and occasionally get an epiphany: "classes" as allegiances was one such epiphany, where completing certain objectives and/or using certain styles in a mission grants a point in one (or more) of the six class types - Faceman, Fixer, Pointman, Snoop, Soldier, Wheelman. These points can then be used to purchase class-specific perks and abilities, assuming certain requirements can be met. An example is Quick Change, a Faceman ability, that would cost maybe 2 Faceman Points to purchase, requires a Disguise skill of 80+, and allows one to disguise themselves within a few seconds so long as no one is looking at them (probably at a small Power Point cost). Or something like that.

On the other hand, once Rod (a.k.a. ThreeDeeSix) has completed his Classic Fantasy series, I plan on going all-out in converting Ravenloft books and supplements (both AD&D and D20 versions).

Downloads
    Uploads

A while back I started converting stuff from all my D&D Diablo books over to BRP. I've gotten a lot of "classes" and monsters converted but haven't worked on it in a while. I even have official/written permission. So if anyone would be interested in helping then maybe we can breathe new life into the project...

@sladethesniper: Do you have anything written or typed up for your Shadowrun conversions? I love the game but hate the system and I'm too lazy to try to convert it myself. I'd like to check out what you've got.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lord Sephleon,
    I had never thought to use allegiances as a way to track progression through a level based system. Wow, I LIKE that idea a lot.

Nakana,
    Normally I just have some quick notes, but this is what I have written up:

Logic = INT
    Intuition = WIS
    Charisma = CHA
    Willpower = POW
    Strength = STR
    Body = CON
    Agility/Reflexes = highest or average becomes DEX
    EDU is not converted (use background to determine)

Stats conversion from Shadowrun to BRP:
    1 = 8
    2 = 10
    3 = 12
    4 = 14
    5 = 16
    6 = 18
    7 = 20
    8 = 22
    9 = 24
    10 = 26

Skill rating conversion from Shadowrun to BRP:
    1 = 10%
    2 = 20%
    3 = 30%
    4 = 40%
    5 = 50%
    6 = 60%
    7 = 70%
    8 = 80%
    9 = 90%
    10 = 100%
    11 = 110%
    12 = 120%

For weapons and gear, I use BRP equivalents
    For magic, I use the Shadowrun flavor text with the Magic rules from the big gold book, the spell name remains the same as Shadowrun

General ideas I follow when converting:
    When converting from one system to another system there is a certain “conceptual” plan that has to be followed.
    First, when planning to create a multi-genre game, the decision for what rules set to be used has to be made early. This will let players know the left and right limits (if any) for that game.
    Second, when using a character generation system that is not in base rules set (such as using LUGTrek to make a character for a D&D 3.5 game) you must make the COMPLETE character in the first rules set BEFORE using any imported things into the character creation rules set (such as using Cyberpunk Lifepath in addition to the one in LUGTrek) then when the character is completely created (including weapons and equipment and all skill mods) THEN you convert the character in the game system. Otherwise, two problems rise.
    One is the min-maxing issue where players will mix and match non-organic systems to get the best possible benefit which will detract from the game.
    Two, when computing skill bonuses from one system to another in mid creation leads to entirely too many inconsistencies between the two. That is why it IS possible (and even recommended in some cases) to make characters in one system for use in another.
    Another area of HUGE debate is equipment use from one setting to another. Very rarely will damage ratings be consistent from one setting to another, especially when dealing with Star Trek games and Palladium settings. In this instance you should buy the equipment in the character creation system and then, wherever possible replace with like items in the game setting. If like items do not exist, then convert from one to the other, although when going from Palladium to D20, be aware that there will be MASSIVE inconsistencies, which means that you may have to either “translate” the equipment into the new system OR make that equipment (in an opposite process of character creation) in the game system…

-STS
    Last edited by sladethesniper; January 16th, 2014 at 01:04.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nakana,
    If you don't mind that I work nights and generally end up having to work on my hobbies in the wee hours of the morning and the occasional day off (assuming I'm not brain-dead from work), I wouldn't mind helping with the Diablo conversion if you'll have my help. I only own the thin-yet-scrumptious AD&D Diablo 2 book, but I can help out with proof-reading and even some writing, should you need it.

sladethesniper,
    Yeah, like I said, it was an epiphany. I think I was either in the shower or at work when that idea hit me. Unfortunately, it means you REALLY have to dissect your missions and distribute "class points" based on objectives and styles, but otherwise it works out as yet another way to handle a level-based system converted into BRP. The "Department" bonuses I treated sort of like racial templates, with increased skill bases for various skills important to the department and other benefits, so that was easy. The hard part now is writing up the myriad feats and class abilities and giving each requirements (both in class points and skill levels), but once that's done, I wouldn't mind sharing on here.