What rule sets/settings have you ported into BRP?

sladethesniper

What settings/rule sets have you ported into BRP? Just curious how any experiments with other settings operate using BRP rules.

Settings/Rule sets I have experimented with:

D20...BRP makes combat so much faster, but has a tendency to reduce the overall power level of characters.

Marvel Super Heroes...with some issues, pretty much makes it unplayable as I have it right now :( I would just use Superworld, but a lot of the high end stuff does not model well into BRP without making the game ridiculously lethal

BattleTech

Battlestar Galactica

Supernatural

Serenity

CthulhuTech

Cyberpunk

Fuzion/Champions...a good mid power superpower campaign can be built from this

Dark Conspiracy

DC Adventures...with some issues

FASATrek

LUGTrek... I am not happy with it after years of working with it. LUGTrek is so self contained, it is hard to unravel parts of it for BRP and still have the same flavor of game.

GURPS...but very clunky

Traveller, although I pretty much just use T20 and then translate from D20 to BRP

Palladium...almost no difference in game play experience

Recon...no difference in game play

Shadowrun...the game plays almost the same, but it is slightly more lethal

D6 Star Wars...translated to D20, then to BRP

Star Wars D20...plays very well, but it makes Force Users a bit overpowered

Terran Trade Authority

Twilight 2000

Warhammer 40K...still a work in progress, after like 8 years, I an just not happy with it

Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Only War/Deathwatch/Dark Crusade...pretty easy conversion, but a lot more lethal in BRP

World of Darkness...takes a lot of work to translate characters, but plays well enough.

-STS

I prefer my own settings and rarely use commercial ones, so there was little need to

convert other systems into BRP ones. The only ones that come to my mind are Blue

Planet, D&D 3.5, Harnmaster, Lodland*, Perry Rhodan* and Traveller.

* German roleplaying games

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I'm a lazy guy and I've always found BRP had terrific settings (Lovecraft, Moorcock, Glorantha). So, I've always used BRP published setting. What I often did was crossovers and setting-mix. Chtulhu 1920 + Ellric + Corum + Lovecraft's Dreamlands, or Elric + RQ Griffin Island. I also did a lot of Hawkmoon + Elric, but that is expected!

My own custom setting, Tentatively titled Metaverse, used to have it's own backing as a system. It was basically a mixture of BRP in mechanics and Numinara in tone in it's original form.

Since then I've revised into into a more complex vision of a planescape-esque world with major lovecraftian elements lurking in the shadows of profane and divine creatures warring over planes while simultaneously trying to keep the balance between their innately opposing forces to prevent the lovecraftian nasties from entering reality at large.

A setting where damnation and salvation are on a knife's edge, from reality, mythology, and unreality at once, through manipulations of time, space, and dimensions. Through methods involving magic, machinery, sorcery and psionics.

Converting this setting to BRP was one of the best moves I had made with it.

As much of a fantasy/horror DM as I am, I've been (painstakingly slowly) converting Spycraft Classic into BRP. Unfortunately, a lot of D20's extra junk (i.e. feats, special class abilities based on levels, etc.) are taking me a while to actually work out in my own head. I generally just mull things over as I work/sleep/play/travel and occasionally get an epiphany: "classes" as allegiances was one such epiphany, where completing certain objectives and/or using certain styles in a mission grants a point in one (or more) of the six class types - Faceman, Fixer, Pointman, Snoop, Soldier, Wheelman. These points can then be used to purchase class-specific perks and abilities, assuming certain requirements can be met. An example is Quick Change, a Faceman ability, that would cost maybe 2 Faceman Points to purchase, requires a Disguise skill of 80+, and allows one to disguise themselves within a few seconds so long as no one is looking at them (probably at a small Power Point cost). Or something like that.

On the other hand, once Rod (a.k.a. ThreeDeeSix) has completed his Classic Fantasy series, I plan on going all-out in converting Ravenloft books and supplements (both AD&D and D20 versions). :)

A while back I started converting stuff from all my D&D Diablo books over to BRP. I've gotten a lot of "classes" and monsters converted but haven't worked on it in a while. I even have official/written permission. So if anyone would be interested in helping then maybe we can breathe new life into the project...

@sladethesniper: Do you have anything written or typed up for your Shadowrun conversions? I love the game but hate the system and I'm too lazy to try to convert it myself. I'd like to check out what you've got.

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

Lord Sephleon,

I had never thought to use allegiances as a way to track progression through a level based system. Wow, I LIKE that idea a lot.

Nakana,

Normally I just have some quick notes, but this is what I have written up:

Logic = INT

Intuition = WIS

Charisma = CHA

Willpower = POW

Strength = STR

Body = CON

Agility/Reflexes = highest or average becomes DEX

EDU is not converted (use background to determine)

Stats conversion from Shadowrun to BRP:

1 = 8

2 = 10

3 = 12

4 = 14

5 = 16

6 = 18

7 = 20

8 = 22

9 = 24

10 = 26

Skill rating conversion from Shadowrun to BRP:

1 = 10%

2 = 20%

3 = 30%

4 = 40%

5 = 50%

6 = 60%

7 = 70%

8 = 80%

9 = 90%

10 = 100%

11 = 110%

12 = 120%

For weapons and gear, I use BRP equivalents

For magic, I use the Shadowrun flavor text with the Magic rules from the big gold book, the spell name remains the same as Shadowrun

General ideas I follow when converting:

When converting from one system to another system there is a certain “conceptual” plan that has to be followed.

First, when planning to create a multi-genre game, the decision for what rules set to be used has to be made early. This will let players know the left and right limits (if any) for that game.

Second, when using a character generation system that is not in base rules set (such as using LUGTrek to make a character for a D&D 3.5 game) you must make the COMPLETE character in the first rules set BEFORE using any imported things into the character creation rules set (such as using Cyberpunk Lifepath in addition to the one in LUGTrek) then when the character is completely created (including weapons and equipment and all skill mods) THEN you convert the character in the game system. Otherwise, two problems rise.

One is the min-maxing issue where players will mix and match non-organic systems to get the best possible benefit which will detract from the game.

Two, when computing skill bonuses from one system to another in mid creation leads to entirely too many inconsistencies between the two. That is why it IS possible (and even recommended in some cases) to make characters in one system for use in another.

Another area of HUGE debate is equipment use from one setting to another. Very rarely will damage ratings be consistent from one setting to another, especially when dealing with Star Trek games and Palladium settings. In this instance you should buy the equipment in the character creation system and then, wherever possible replace with like items in the game setting. If like items do not exist, then convert from one to the other, although when going from Palladium to D20, be aware that there will be MASSIVE inconsistencies, which means that you may have to either “translate” the equipment into the new system OR make that equipment (in an opposite process of character creation) in the game system…

-STS

Edited by sladethesniper

Nakana,

If you don't mind that I work nights and generally end up having to work on my hobbies in the wee hours of the morning and the occasional day off (assuming I'm not brain-dead from work), I wouldn't mind helping with the Diablo conversion if you'll have my help. I only own the thin-yet-scrumptious AD&D Diablo 2 book, but I can help out with proof-reading and even some writing, should you need it.

sladethesniper,

Yeah, like I said, it was an epiphany. I think I was either in the shower or at work when that idea hit me. Unfortunately, it means you REALLY have to dissect your missions and distribute "class points" based on objectives and styles, but otherwise it works out as yet another way to handle a level-based system converted into BRP. The "Department" bonuses I treated sort of like racial templates, with increased skill bases for various skills important to the department and other benefits, so that was easy. The hard part now is writing up the myriad feats and class abilities and giving each requirements (both in class points and skill levels), but once that's done, I wouldn't mind sharing on here.

sladethesniper: thanks! I have research to do now! lol

Lord Sephleon: I would love any help from anyone who has an interest! I'm not sure where you're from but I'm in the Central Standard Time zone in the U.S. and it's currently 3:41am. I'm obviously a bit of a night owl myself. What I could do, is possibly create a wiki site or something similar (maybe as simple as google docs) where we can share info and ideas whenever it's convenient. PM me whenever you get the chance and we'll figure it out. And thanks! :)

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Supernatural

LUGTrek

I would love to see what you've come up for these two. I've ran Supernatural in the past and just recently ordered the LUGTrek DS9 book.

"It's taken me all these years to realize that the Laws of Time are mine, and they will obey me!" - the Doctor

jaysun,

There are the notes I jotted down for conversion...first for Supernatural (also works for BSG and Serenity...) using the Codex system

I don't really like the Codex system. Nothing in it really helps set the tone. You would be much better just using CoC to run a Supernatural game, but here you go:

Codex stat =BRP/D20 stat

Agility =Dexterity

Strength =Strength

Vitality =Constitution

Alertness =Wisdom

Intelligence =Intelligence

Willpower =Wisdom (D20) or Power (BRP)

Dice= BRP Skill %=BRP attribute

D2 =20%= 6-7

D4 =30%= 8-9

D6 =50%= 10-11

D8 =60%= 12-13

D10 =70%= 14-15

D12 =80%= 16-17

D12+D2 =90%= 18-19

D12+D4 =95%= 20-21

D12+D6 =99%= 22-23

All of the Traits in Codex can be used as "skills" in BRP, or give a bonus to some skill or situation.

The book gives three levels to make characters which translate to BRP as follows:

42 attribute points = d8 each = 12 per attribute

62 skill points = 10 skills at 25% and one at 10%

48 attribute points = 3 attributes at 15, 3 at 12

68 skill points = 10 skills at 25% and one at 40%

4 trait points = 4 traits converted to BRP

54 attribute points = 4 attributes at 15, 2 at 12

74 skill points = 11 skills at 25% and one at 40%

8 trait points = 8 traits converted to BRP

For LUGTrek, I do love the game...but for easier conversion, you might want to find an old copy of FASATrek...that is almost a straight conversion.

LUG to BRP

Fitness =Constitution (highest)

Vitality =Constitution (highest)

Strength =Strength

Coordination=Dexterity (highest)

Dexterity =Dexterity (highest)

Intellect =Intelligence

Perception =Wisdom

Logic =Education

Presence =Charisma (highest)

Empathy =Charisma (highest)

Psi =Power

LUG to BRP Stats

1 =6 + 1d4

2 =9 + 1d4

3 =10 + 1d4

4 =14 + 1d4

5 =18 + 1d4

6 =22 + 1d4

7 =26 + 1d4

8 =30 + 1d4

LUG to BRP Skills

1 =25%

2 =50%

3 =60%

4 =80%

5 =90%

6 =95%

To convert weapons, using BRP weapons makes it a lot easier, but if you want to have the full on feel of damage settings, this is what I use:

setting to BRP damage

Phaser 1 =Uncon for 2d6-CON minutes

Phaser 2 =Uncon for 2d10-CON minutes

Phaser 3 =Uncon 5d10-CON minutes

Phaser 4 =1 point

Phaser 5 =1d3

Phaser 6 =1d6

Phaser 7 =2d10

Phaser 8 =6d8

Phaser 9 =2d6x10

Phaser 10 =3d6x10

Phaser 11 =4d6x10

Phaser 12 =6d6x10

Phaser 13 =4d10x10

Phaser 14 =1d6x100

Phaser 15 =1d8x100

Phaser 16 =1d10x100

Please note that the above damage ratings scale linearly, as I dislike weird scaling mechanics (my first RPG was Robotech, so big damage numbers never bothered me...) so you may have to change those numbers to something more useful to book standard BRP.

Same thing for ship conversions...I converted them using Mega Damage and other nonsense from Palladium Books. If you can deal with that, then Kitsune's website is an absolute treasure trove.

I hope that is of some use.

-STS

Edited by sladethesniper
I really wish there was a way to import tables into forum posts...

I'm curious to see how some of the D&D 3/3.5 conversions came out myself. That high-level Hexblade NPC has a certain appeal.

I wonder what got converted. Monsters seem obvious, but it will be curious to see which monsters are good choices for BRP opposition and which are so overwhelming that putting them in the game is just asking for a TPK.

The most recent D&D 3 that i converted was Hades and Anubis from Deities & Demigods, Characteristics came straight over, for skills i took ranks x5 for a %, so 5 ranks became 25%. I tried to find superpowers from BGB for most of their abiliities, some things like Immortal, theres no power for that their just immortal because they're gods. The cthulhu d20 book has a convertion in the back for BRP to d20, i just reversed the process, some things you may have to drop. But I ended up with 2 gods at superhuman level in a heroic level campaign and it worked fine.

When converting from d20 to BRP, something becomes funnily apparent. In d20, it is assumed that a 10th level character is absolutely heroic, a 20th level is superhuman and a 30th level character is near godlike...but when you convert to BRP, a lot of the stuff in d20 ceases to be relevant. Armor Class becomes dodge and parry, BAB and multiple attacks get parsed into specific weapon skills not huge swathes of weapon types, and multiple attacks, while possible are not nearly as common nor as reliable in D20. Skills in d20 vary wildly in utility in game, whereas in BRP, skills can almost be considered more important that powers/magic/equipment because they are so versatile. The greatest reduction in power from a d20 PC to becoming a BRP PC is the loss of the "hit points". This singular reduction from a pool of hundreds of hit points to usually less than 20 hit points remakes D20 characters from powerhouses into merely competent.

While it can be argued from a mechanics standpoint that every character in D20 would have the equivalent of 30% in every skill automatically (using DC 10, a d20 roll -4 for being untrained gives 6/20 chance of success...which is 30%) I simply cannot abide by that...and besides the 1 rank/bonus = 5% is more elegant than the mathematical contortions of D20.

tl;dr: what is ridiculously OP in d20, when translated to BRP is not.

-STS

I started converting Paranoia 2nd Edition to BRP. I had got most of the character creation done, but stopped at equipment due to lack of player interest. Paranoia just had way too much baggage for the people I game with. I might put the posts together in a singe document and upload it here.

In terms of D20/DnD conversions Sladsthesnipers comment is the prevailing attitude "This singular reduction from a pool of hundreds of hit points to usually less than 20 hit points remakes D20 characters from powerhouses into merely competent." However in play with highly skilled characters I didn't find this to be the case. In original DnD hit points were supposed to be a mixture of combat prowess, luck, experience and parry; all mixed up to signify that heroes survive more punishment and can have longer combats than lowbies. In BRP I found that a high parry skill had the same effect as high hit points, and good quality armour was the equivalent of good ac. Of course if you add DnD levels of magic items then it all breaks. :)

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

In terms of D20/DnD conversions Sladsthesnipers comment is the prevailing attitude "This singular reduction from a pool of hundreds of hit points to usually less than 20 hit points remakes D20 characters from powerhouses into merely competent." However in play with highly skilled characters I didn't find this to be the case. In original DnD hit points were supposed to be a mixture of combat prowess, luck, experience and parry; all mixed up to signify that heroes survive more punishment and can have longer combats than lowbies. In BRP I found that a high parry skill had the same effect as high hit points, and good quality armour was the equivalent of good ac. Of course if you add DnD levels of magic items then it all breaks. :)

Moral of the story seems to be bulk up on Parry and Dodge when doing a character conversion.

There are tons of d20 spalls, with more and more coming along as the OGL boom expanded, that strike me as being very difficult to pull off in BRP. At least if you want to make them do exactly what they do in d20 -- and how often do you really want to do that? BRP is its own animal. I imagine you could graft on Vancian magic if you really wanted to but it would be very odd. The big question in my mind is how anyone ever accumulates enough MP to power a truly awesome single spell, much less fight a sustained magic duel.

I started converting Paranoia 2nd Edition to BRP. I had got most of the character creation done, but stopped at equipment due to lack of player interest. Paranoia just had way too much baggage for the people I game with. I might put the posts together in a singe document and upload it here.

I used to play Paranoia. I don't remember the system being problematic, but I might not have the patience for it anymore, so I'd be interested in seeing your port.

There are tons of d20 spalls, with more and more coming along as the OGL boom expanded, that strike me as being very difficult to pull off in BRP. At least if you want to make them do exactly what they do in d20 -- <snip> I imagine you could graft on Vancian magic if you really wanted to but it would be very odd. The big question in my mind is how anyone ever accumulates enough MP to power a truly awesome single spell, much less fight a sustained magic duel.

You should check out Classic Fantasy, which does just that.

I would love to see what you have for Paranoia. It was a great game and other than TPKs ending every campaign a bit early, all the players and the GMs always had fun.

With regard to D&D and hit points...allow me to expound. I am aware that Hit Points in D&D are a gestalt of luck, stamina, glancing blows, actual physical damage, parries, etc. The problem is that while D&D hit points are supposed to be a narrativist tool, they are now the singular narrativist combat tool in a very tactical, granular system where every other aspect of combat is codified, enumerated and ranked in real, concrete terms. The simple way around this narrativist hit points/simulationist combat system conundrum is to use the vitality/wound point alternate system where "vitality" simulates all the luck, parry, glancing blows, desperate saves, exhaustion, etc. and the "wound points" simulate actual physical damage...so a gunshot that does 17 vitality damage is really just a near miss that ricochets some dirt on you and the fragments nick your cheek...a gunshot that does 17 wound point damage will be leaving the PC a critically injured victim going into shock that will die in a minute or two without immediate, outside, professional (or magical) assistance.

Therefore, when I look at D&D and realize that yes, there are massive bonuses to hit and all sorts of damage modifiers...when you look at the narrativist measure of standard "hit points," a hit in D&D is NOT the same as a hit in BRP. In D&D, a hit can be a near miss, a glancing blow, an impact stopped by armor, a wild swing that made the target back away rapidly and lose their momentum, or it might actually be a bone breaking blow. In BRP, a hit is a hit and it does physical damage, and if it is not actively dodged, parried or stopped by the armor...then every hit does damage to the character and thus the action/damage economy in BRP is much more equal than that in D20 where actions may or may not be "real damage".

So, in conclusion, a successful hit in D&D does not translate into a successful hit in BRP, whereas a successful hit in BRP always translates into a successful hit in D20 (unless using the vitality/wound point mechanic). It is for this reason that, in my opinion, BRP characters are actually more competent than they would initially appear in combat than D20 characters .

I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out why I am agreeing with you and to illustrate how and why that 100 D&D hit points is =/= 100 BRP Hit Points.

-STS

Edited by sladethesniper
grammar

This should be amended to my previous post, but is sufficiently different...

When converting to BRP, what was the reason you did so?

For me, I just like the system better. It makes it easier to have one rules system with a LOT of different settings and options so that when I have to run games based on popular settings (Supernatural, BSG, Naruto, Star Wars, Shadowhunters, etc.) I can just grab what I can find, convert it and go as opposed to teaching the group a whole new system for each setting. Plus, there are some types of systems that my players just hate...anything with dice pools, or that use a d6 mechanic...they just don't like them and I am not fond of them either. Plus, the d100 system is just more intuitive.

-STS