Hey everybody! This is my first post. I've been reading some BRP and RuneQuest material just out of curiosity. I've never actually played a pen and paper RPG before, but I've read quite a few rulebooks (sadly). What started me on my journey of reading these books, funny enough, was looking for ideas to create Elder Scrolls mods for the video games. The rules of Elder Scrolls games always bugged me.

Anyway, these dice-rolling RPGs look pretty fun! I'd like to play sometime. So, I've been reading different rule sets (D&D, Interlock, Unisystem, Barbarians of Lemuria, Mini Six just to name a few), and of all these sets of rules, I like BRP the best. . . sort of. I was wondering if someone here could help me break through my mental block I'm having with BRP.

The idea of a percent IS intuitive, yes. But, to me, the way it is used in BRP games (in general) does not feel intuitive. I'll try to explain as efficiently as I can.

1. The idea that my skill rating is not a rating but a DC in and of itself messes with my head. I WANT to look at this number as a rating, but when the GM modifies this number
due to difficulty, then it feels as though they modified my skill rating, which makes no sense. I know it seems like I'm picking nits, but really! It messes with me.

2. Percentile. What does this mean? How is it a percentage? Of what? If this DC can go over 100, and you can fail on a 00 no matter what, then how is this a percentage?
Doesn't the '%' symbol imply that 100 is the ultimate maximum which means "always and forever?" Again, picking nits, but really. It messes with me.

3. Roll under doesn't feel as good as roll over. There SHOULD be a way to easily make BRP an optional roll over system. Couldn't you say if your skill rating is a 70, then you have to roll over a 30? Or something like that?

Okay, I know it may seem like I'm nitpicking because I know there are probably thousands of people who don't have these problems, but these things really bug me.
I believe the idea of using percentile dice IS intuitive and awesome, but I feel like the way it is actually used in the rules isn't very intuitive. Can you guys and gals set me right?

Thanks!