Classic Fantasy is Coming to the Legend System

threedeesix

Hello everyone,

Many of you know me as the author of Chaosium's BRP Classic Fantasy Monograph.

For the last year I have been converting and expanding Classic Fantasy to the Legend system. It's still maybe a year away from completion but enough has been finished that I figured I would post about it.

What is Classic Fantasy?

Classic Fantasy is a way of playing the Legend RPG that better mimics pre-third edition D&D, primarily 1st ed. AD&D to be precise. Included are all the classic player races and classes, spells, monsters, etc. It is a standalone product that is completely self contained. All of the rules to play will be found in the three core books, yet Classic Fantasy will remain 100% compatible with the rest of the Legend line, and maybe 80-90% compatible with other BRP products.

How does Classic Fantasy differ from Legend?

For the most part, Classic Fantasy uses the entirety of the Legend system without significant change. However some changes are made to better reflect the original source material. The most obvious is the use of classes. In Classic Fantasy, a "Class" is simply a Legend "Profession" with special abilities that reflect the class abilities found in AD&D; things like the fighter's weapon mastery, the clerics ability to "turn undead, demons, and devils", and the thieves backstab proficiency.

However, after character generation, for the most part the player is able to develop his character in whatever direction he chooses.

Classic Fantasy introduces an alignment system. However, unlike AD&D, these alignments do not dictate how you must play your character, instead, how you play your character dictates your alignment.

One change from Legend is Skill Advancements. The BRP fan base seems equally split on whether they prefer Skill Advancement Awards, or Skill Check Boxes. I happen to prefer the latter and the book is being written to reflect this. Assuming that there is space to include it, I will include rules for Advancement Awards as an option.

Finally, Classic Fantasy introduces a different magic system from those proposed in Legend. It uses familiar terms such as duration, magnitude, etc. and works very similar in many ways to the other systems, however increasing the spells magnitude will typically grant ALL the benefits of casting the spell at a higher level in AD&D. For example, increasing a spell by a single level of magnitude may increase its range, duration, and damage, dependent upon the spell in question. This allows the spell to better scale as its AD&D counterpart.

The spell is NOT forgotten however. :)

What is being included in the "conversion"?

Unlike the original BRP version of Classic Fantasy where I faced significant space limitations, this version will be including every spell from the 1st ed. AD&D Players Handbook and every monster from the 1st. ed. Monster Manual (that I'm allowed to use according to the OGL), as well as a near-complete conversion of magic items.

Because of this, Classic Fantasy will likely be several smaller books. More than likely a Player's Book, a Game Master's Book, and a Monster Book. One BIG book isn't out of the question however.

How far along are you?

Here is an overview of the progress to date.

Player's Book

Done with the exception of spells, of which I have only finished about 20-25% of them. There are literately hundreds of spells.

Game Master's Book

About 80% finished. Not counting magic items.

Monster Book

Only about 40% finished.

Who is going to publish it?

I'm not even thinking about this yet. I have had two different publishers contact me about the prospect, but I'm not yet ready to commit. I may even self-publish. This is something I work on in my spare time, a little every day, but publishers mean deadlines and I may not make them. So I figured when the books are written, but before layout has begun, at that point I'll get more serious about negotiating with interested parties. Like I said, self-publishing is a tempting option.

Are you going to release the books as you finish them or when their are ALL done?

When they are ALL done. That way as I work on the later books and realize I need to change something in the Players Book I can do it without having to release addenda.

Is there anywhere else I can find out more about the new version of Classic Fantasy?

Yes there is actually, I have just created a new Yahoo group just for the Legend version at...

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LegendCF/

I usually post about the progress of Legend: Classic Fantasy there before posting anywhere else and your welcome to join. I already posted a copy of the Legend: Classic Fantasy Character Sheet, some example characters, and a write-up of the Fighter character class.

Anyway, there it is. I can't give any idea as to when it will be ready. It will take time. I have a small cadre of outside playtesters going over it as well as my own group and things are looking well so far.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I love AD&D and really enjoyed the BRP' Classic Fantasy. I was wondering why you chose Legend over RuneQuest 6e? The latter seems like the same game a bit more refined (though I've read them only).

I prefer skill checks myself. Just feels more organic.

The primary reason that I chose Legend over RQ6 is that Legend is OGL while RQ6 isn't. And even if it was, I didn't have access to RQ6 when I started my writing.

To be honest, if things were different, I still would have chosen Legend. Not that I don't think RQ6 isn't a work of art. Its spectacular. But when your doing a conversion, the less you have to convert the better. BRP Classic Fantasy already had loads of things in it that I came up with on my own. Things that are not in Legend, but are in RQ6 to one extent or another, just using different rules. By using the streamlined Legend system, I find it much easier to fill in any "blanks" using my own stuff.

Plus, just look at the SIZ/ENC of RQ6. The thing is enormous. Classic Fantasy looks to be enormous as well. I wouldn't want to combine them and be responsible for someone's back going out. =|

Thanks for your interest,

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Earlier today I had all the Hackmaster 4e core books, Hackmaster5e PHB and RuneQuest 6e in my bookbag, it was pretty extreme.

Converting over all the spells has to be half the work in itself.

Hell, maybe I should use the SRD to make a Hackmaster themed RQ6 engine. That's more work than I have in me now, but maybe I'll just make houserules for Classic Fantasy to Hack things up a notch.

Edited by QueenJadisOfCharn

• 2 weeks later...

Classic Fantasy is Coming to the Legend System

Yay! As a fan of the first one, I'm looking forward to this one.

Completely agree! As a fan of both Classic Fantasy and Legend, I think this is a win-win! Hope to be purchasing it in the not too distant future!

A quick question for 3d6, which version of Classic Fantasy would translate to OQ2 easier, the BRP version or your upcoming legend one? I would like to add some familier elements to my OQ game for my D&D centric players. Is there some stuff in your new version that you thought was cool and wished you had put in the first CF book?

Miles

A quick question for 3d6, which version of Classic Fantasy would translate to OQ2 easier, the BRP version or your upcoming legend one? I would like to add some familier elements to my OQ game for my D&D centric players.

I would say Legend. It, RQ6, and OpenQuest all share the same core mechanics. The BRP version adds tons of spells but they are designed for the BRP "Magic" system and isn't really compatible with OQ2's magic system without some modification. I haven't tried so couldn't say it would work.

Is there some stuff in your new version that you thought was cool and wished you had put in the first CF book?

Tons. With the first book I was really limited by page count. Plus, the game has had 3+ extra years of playtesting, so I've discovered better ways to do things that I just never though of doing before.

Rod

"Tons. With the first book I was really limited by page count. Plus, the game has had 3+ extra years of playtesting, so I've discovered better ways to do things that I just never though of doing before."

Sounds cool, I'll wait for your legend book then. I have the Legend books so i'm familier with the rules, so converting won't be an issue. Every time i've run a d100 game its been a "Frankenquest" system cobbled together from parts from other systems I liked.

Miles

Really wish you would have put out more for the BRP system that was hinted at in the book before jumping to something else entirely first. Hopefully we get a completed set this time, with the Players, GM & MM all in one or 3 books or whatnot. The BRP version hinted at a GM guide & expanded Monster Manual that never appeared.

Really wish you would have put out more for the BRP system that was hinted at in the book before jumping to something else entirely first.

Seemed like that was always the intent. Chaosium was not interested in publishing. It's explained in this thread.

I'm sorry to see it go to Legend because the quality of the stuff Mongoose puts out is hit or miss and I don't like some of the design choices (oh dear departed resistance table). I will pick up this one as the BRP version was great and I'll happily mine it for ideas.

Really wish you would have put out more for the BRP system that was hinted at in the book before jumping to something else entirely first. Hopefully we get a completed set this time, with the Players, GM & MM all in one or 3 books or whatnot. The BRP version hinted at a GM guide & expanded Monster Manual that never appeared.

Take that up with Chaosium. I can write it, but I cant make them print it.

Rod

I'm sorry to see it go to Legend because the quality of the stuff Mongoose puts out is hit or miss and I don't like some of the design choices (oh dear departed resistance table). I will pick up this one as the BRP version was great and I'll happily mine it for ideas.

Just because something is produced for Legend, it doesn't mean that Mongoose produce it.

Anyone can publish a Legend Compatible book that can be used with Legend, without any input at all from Mongoose.

The Genie has well and truly been let out of the bottle.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 2 months later...

So have the plans for CF & Legend changed? Saw this on the RQ forum (underlining mine):

RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy

Rod Leary's excellent guide to traditional dungeon crawling, evoking the halcyon days of fantasy roleplaying's origins, comes to RuneQuest. Rod is adapting his Classic Fantasy rules (first published as an acclaimed BRP monograph) exclusively for RuneQuest 6th edition. This isn't a supplement - it's a complete game specifically tailored to recreating that original dungeoneering experience. Rod's hard at work on the manuscript, and we are anticipating a late 2014/early 2015 release.

I wouldn't fancy buying RQ just for CF, as I already got a bunch of Legend books. I know the systems are kin, but nevertheless bit a bit different. Or will the CF book come with the rules as well?

So have the plans for CF & Legend changed? Saw this on the RQ forum (underlining mine):

I wouldn't fancy buying RQ just for CF, as I already got a bunch of Legend books. I know the systems are kin, but nevertheless bit a bit different. Or will the CF book come with the rules as well?

From what they said on The Design Mechanism news release, CF was going to be a fully contained game that uses the RQ6 rule set. If that's the case you would only need the CF book to use its material.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

From what they said on The Design Mechanism news release, CF was going to be a fully contained game that uses the RQ6 rule set. If that's the case you would only need the CF book to use its material.

Yes. Classic Fantasy is a complete rulebook. It contains a heavy re-reworking and re-structuring of the RQ6 rules to create a more Old School Dungeoneering experience. Rod can elaborate more, but you won't need to buy RQ6 as well to use this book.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Yes. Classic Fantasy is a complete rulebook. It contains a heavy re-reworking and re-structuring of the RQ6 rules to create a more Old School Dungeoneering experience. Rod can elaborate more, but you won't need to buy RQ6 as well to use this book.

Yes, Lawrence is right. Classic Fantasy is to be completely self contained, however at the same time, every effort is being made to remain compatible with the entire RQ6 line. So for example, if some awesome book on piracy was to come out for RQ, it should be completely usable with Classic Fantasy as well.

• Like 1

With how similar to Legend RQ6 is, it wouldn't be hard to convert CF to Legend once it comes out.

I can vouch for that as I convert what I had written for Legend to RQ6. That's how I was able to get the chapters I had already written converted over so fast.