Thread: Hackmaster Fans?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hackmaster Fans?

As usual my rpg ADD has caught up with me, and my kick this week is Hackmaster. A long time owner of 4th edition and many HackSupplements I was quick to grab Hackmaster Basic. Now I have the Hackmaster Players Handbook, essentially an expanded version of Basic, and I am wondering if we have any fans of either edition or of the settings (Tellene and Aldrazar).

I am a big fan of Greyhawk and Aldrazar both (probably my two favorite settings, I <3 old D&D stuff) but I really haven't had the chance to run Hackmaster. Right now our rpg group is on hiatus due to a divorce and some other stuff, so I'm just absorbing RPG materials to kill the time!

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by QueenJadisOfCharn View Post
    As usual my rpg ADD has caught up with me,
    Ya, I sometimes feel like I have AD&D ADD my self.

and my kick this week is Hackmaster. A long time owner of 4th edition and many HackSupplements I was quick to grab Hackmaster Basic. Now I have the Hackmaster Players Handbook, essentially an expanded version of Basic, and I am wondering if we have any fans of either edition or of the settings (Tellene and Aldrazar).

I am a big fan of Greyhawk and Aldrazar both (probably my two favorite settings, I <3 old D&D stuff) but I really haven't had the chance to run Hackmaster. Right now our rpg group is on hiatus due to a divorce and some other stuff, so I'm just absorbing RPG materials to kill the time!
    I love Hackmaster. I have quite a bit of 4th edition. I love the various monster books. To be honest, I never played them, pretty much bought them for the fun read.

As for favorite settings, I would have to go with Greyhawk and Mystara.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you checked out Basic/ '5th edition'? I kind of want to adapt the counting system fo battle to my BRP game.

Sol System, Earth, North America, New England, New Hampshire, Rochester, at my computer.
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you checked out Basic/ '5th edition'? I kind of want to adapt the counting system fo battle to my BRP game.
    No, I can't say that I have. I kind of fell out of the current "non-BRP" loop when I started writing. I didn't really have the time anymore. Plus I used to be the manager of the gaming department of a hobby store. This gave me oodles of time to enjoy the new releases. Oh, well.

Rod
    Join my RuneQuest: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info
    Join my BRP: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/brpclassicfantasy/

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the hack master principle that very point of characteristic is important. That led me to cobble together my favourite aftermarket damage modifier chart for BRP. I quite enjoyed the handful of episodes of the comic I read. But the game itself has too many different rules for my liking.
    Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have the most recent Hackmaster material. The version that cloned AD&D 1-2 (and mockingly copied the art style of those books) struck me as a game that was basically an elaborate in-joke that somehow developed a life of its own. I don't even know that it was actually designed to be at all playable. It was maddeningly complex, probably needlessly so, because the Knights playing a game like that for decades (as opposed to something more sensible) must have seemed hilarious to the authors. The expansive, eight-volume "Hacklopedia of Beasts" was even jokier, with its cannibal faeries and monsters only an eight-year-old could come up with (the in-game backstory was that the author kept inserting hints he got from his child into the game).

At the same time the company was releasing a serious licensed world line for the then-new D&D 3rd Edition. It was a license they had paid good money to acquire. The Open Gaming License was in its infancy, and WOTC still dared to dream they could convince the entire industry to go over to churning out material that supported their game. It would be years before the full consequences of the Open Gaming License would come home to roost and even longer for WOTC to realize the fundamental strategic error they had made with it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, that would be the version I have. I can't even remotely imagine playing it. Buts it sure is a great read. And I love that eight-volume "Hacklopedia of Beasts".

Rod

Downloads
    Uploads

Yet Hackmaster is still remember with some degree of fondness (by some, at least) while Kingdoms of Kalamar, their attempt to break into D&D for real, is remembered barely at all. In fact, I cannot remember a single distinctive feature of the setting to differentiate it from the many other generic fantasies that were going around at the time.

If there is one positive trend in the art of game design in the fifteen years since the OGL genie was let out of the bottle, it's that there is now a greater emphasis on setting flavor even for the most generic of games.