Drive as an Advanced Skill

nerdvana

I see a problem with Drive and Ride as Common skills.

Drive: In the RAW a character from a Primitive culture would have as easy a time using the skill as his twin from a Civilized culture.

Ride: Not every culture has riding animals (native Hawaiians and other Polynesian island nations, Frex).

My fix for this is to make these skills Advanced skills but to put them into the culture packages for any cultures that should have them as a Common skill.

Thus, IMO, problem found and fixed.

Edited by nerdvana
changed title and content to include Ride in the discussion as well.

Some skills are culturally dependent.

many barbarian or nomadic cultures had carts, so I can see Drive as being a common skill. Similarly, many Bronze Age and beyound cultures had riding beasts, so Ride is fairly common.

Pre-Columbian Americans would not have a Ride skill at all, even as an Advanced skill.

This is one pf the problems with differentiating between Common and Advanced skills. Some cultures have the skills and some do not.

I don't see a problem with removing Drive and Ride as Common skills and making them Advanced for some cultures, but others should still have them as Common skills. Steppe nomads would definitely have both Drive and Ride as Common Skills, for example.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Unless I've missed something, the only difference between Common and Advanced is how you start acquiring the skill, once you have it you can use it. So if the Steppe nomads all get Ride from their cultural background package they can use it freely even if it is Advanced, thus the decision I made.

Effectively, an Advanced Skill gained from your Background makes it a Common Skill. Right? Or am I missing something?

All Advanced Skills cost 10 to buy.

Normally, Backgrounds don't give Advanced skills out. If you look at all the culture skills in Legend then all are Basic skills.

But, you can always handwave that in your game by saying that these are 0 cost Advanced skills, like Language (Native) or Lore (Regional).

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

on p17: Barbarians gain Survival and their choice of one of these skills: Craft, Lore, Play Instrument or Track; Civilised Adventurers gain Courtesy and any three of these skills: Art, Craft, Language, Lore, Mechanisms, Play Instrument or Streetwise

on p18: Nomads gain Survival also and their choice of one of these skills: Boating, Craft, Language, Lore, Play Instrument or Track; Primitive Adventurers gain Survival and Track.

So, in your Legend games you charge your players for those skills from their Backgrounds? I didn't see anything in the RAW that would indicate doing so. All I'm talking about is adding an additional skill or two (formerly Common Skills) that they automatically know due to their background.

In that case, you are right :)

I don't have my copy of Legend available at work, unfortunately, so was going from memory.

Professions certainly charge 10 points for each advanced skill.

In that case, you are right :)

I don't have my copy of Legend available at work, unfortunately, so was going from memory.

Professions certainly charge 10 points for each advanced skill.

Yeah, I am real lucky (a) I have the PDFs on my computer, (B) I work from home. But thanks for helping me make sure I thought it out fully! :)