Interesting comments on Google+

RosenMcStern

According to this Google+ post in the G+ Tabletop Group, BRP and its derivatives are really popular as a simpler alternative to D&D in the roleplaying community.

What do you thing about this article? My opinion is that the 15 minute limit for character creation and average combat is often trespassed, but indeed both chargen and combat in BRP are not so sluggish as they are sometimes described. Using locations, frex, slows chargen a little but it speeds up combat against mooks as they usually give up once one location is taken out.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I totally agree, but I'm also one of the people who said BRP if I could only play one game.

Odd thing is that when I run D&D(even Pathfinder) or BRP combat doesn't get sluggish, but when I'm playing Pathfinder most other GMs make is lag on and on and on...

My roleplaying blog: Axes and Orcs. Scramblings of anime, D&D, and RQ-derived games.

Character generation in BRP shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, as long as you have decided what you want to be. The hardest part is to decide which Background/Profession you want and which spells to take. As long as everything else is available in tables, it is very easy to do. Even using hit locations is a lookup on a table and writing them down.

The 7 point wishlist is satisfied completely by BRP, so these are good things to want.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Character generation in BRP shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, as long as you have decided what you want to be.

It also depends on how familiar you are with the system. It once took me 25 minutes to generate a CoC character but a) it had been a while, B) I was flipping around the book and c) I was keeping notes on the process. New users allocating skill points can easily dither for half an hour; it helps to allocate five or ten points at a time.

15 minutes seems about right, though, depending on the exact system and version.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

MagicWorld is the biggie here. Its skill allocation is even quicker than most BRP related systems, you could certainly have char gen down to 10min with MagicWorld

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My first thought on the article was that 2nd edition D&D does none of the things that Mr. Sturkey cites in his list! :D

Ok, being disingenuous. Assuming that he's speaking of AD&D when he says TSR D&D, it does 1, 3, 5, and 7 pretty well. If he's talking RC D&D, you can add #2 in there. As far as seeing praises sung for BRP, that's always a nice thing. I admit that I am still happily surprised that BRP has made the resurgence that it has. I had consigned myself to running an obscure game in the wilderness days when the only thing keeping BRP relevant was mighty Cthulhu.

70/420

I made an excel file -see in the download section- to easily allocate skill points. It is called "Wonder Tables" because of the French "table" = "chart" and "table", but I guess I should have called it "Wonder Charts". It has noting to do with any magic item from the plains of Prax :)

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

I totally agree, but I'm also one of the people who said BRP if I could only play one game.

Odd thing is that when I run D&D(even Pathfinder) or BRP combat doesn't get sluggish, but when I'm playing Pathfinder most other GMs make is lag on and on and on...

The base combat for D20 is not long and sluggish...but when you get past 10th level, it gets pretty sluggish, especially with min-max rules lawyers that loooove magic solutions for EVERYTHING. If you have any tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

-STS