Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could choose a setting for a Flintlock & Steel adventure...?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default If you could choose a setting for a Flintlock & Steel adventure...?

Hi Folks,

I thought it would be fun to canvass you all for your ideas on this one.

We're currently working on finishing Dark Streets, but we also have some Flintlock & Steel adventures lined up for Renaissance Deluxe. Flintlock & Steel are a series of short adventures, that use the Renaissance Deluxe rules (the first in the series, Adrian Jones's rather excellent The Mystery of Shirdley Hall, set in the Clockwork & Cthulhu setting, is already available). What would your dream setting be for a Flintlock & Steel adventure?
    Peter Cakebread
    Cakebread&Walton
    Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pirates. In the Caribbean.

Downloads
    Uploads

Late 16th century Scottish Border Reivers. Very interesting time period full of "larger than life" characters, cattle raiding and small scale skirmishes. You can set the characters up as either members of a local clan out for some sweet revenge or over-worked wardens trying to maintain the peace.

Reading material: "Candlemass Road" & "Border Reivers" by George MacDonald Frasier. Also a series of books by P.F. Chisholm (aka Patricia Finney). Osprey has a couple of books including one on the fortifications. Wargames Foundry and (I think) Vendel miniatures have lines of appropriate miniatures.

Please leave Cthulhu out of this one Witchcraft would fit in perfectly though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vile View Post
    Pirates. In the Caribbean.
    Who doesn't love pirates

It's been on our list for a while. We'd really love to do a full book, but we have quite the schedule...
    Peter Cakebread
    Cakebread&Walton

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by filbanto View Post
    Late 16th century Scottish Border Reivers. Very interesting time period full of "larger than life" characters, cattle raiding and small scale skirmishes. You can set the characters up as either members of a local clan out for some sweet revenge or over-worked wardens trying to maintain the peace.

Reading material: "Candlemass Road" & "Border Reivers" by George MacDonald Frasier. Also a series of books by P.F. Chisholm (aka Patricia Finney). Osprey has a couple of books including one on the fortifications. Wargames Foundry and (I think) Vendel miniatures have lines of appropriate miniatures.

Another very cool suggestion

I got a bit side-tracked reading about the Border Reivers when researching for C&C, so a lot of the research is already in the bag...
    Peter Cakebread
    Cakebread&Walton

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd enjoy seeing something set in the Jacobean era cos' that's when my campaign will be set.

Geographically speaking, the Norfolk Broads would make for an intersting setting; as would Dartmoor. Anywhere desolate and forboding with a high strangeness quotient.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'd enjoy seeing something set in the Jacobean era cos' that's when my campaign will be set.

Geographically speaking, the Norfolk Broads would make for an intersting setting; as would Dartmoor. Anywhere desolate and forboding with a high strangeness quotient.
    I've lived on the edge of Dartmoor, and I can certainly vouch for its strangeness...
    Peter Cakebread
    Cakebread&Walton

Downloads
    Uploads

French & Indian War
    The War in the Forest in Colonial America is frightening. British officers who've surrendered watch in horror as their men are cut down and scalped. Diabolical French officers order their men to set fire to farms while settlers cower inside. Rangers travel 100's of miles through the back woods to decend upon a native village and slaughter the inhabitants. Can war alone drive "civilized men" to such savagery or is there something darker lurking in the forest? Characters could be members of a fairly independant military unit like "Rogers Rangers", or normal folks caught up in terrible events. Reading material: the "Leather Stocking" tales by James Fenimore Cooper, "The Skulking Way of War" by Patrick Malone, "White Devil" by Stephen Brumwel. Miniatures available from Conquest amongst others.

Three Musketeers
    Athos, Porthos, Aramis and D'Artangan versus Richelieu, Milady d'Winter and Rochefort. Would give it a much more light-hearted feel than Clockwork & Chivalry. All windows are made out of sugar glass, chairs automattically break after clobbering one attacker, +20% bonus to swing across a room on a chandlier. Reading material: Anything by Dumas, more modern "Musketeer mysteries" by Sarah D'Almeida and for a touch of fantasy the "Cardinals Blades" series by Pierre Pevel. Required viewing: The Three Musketeers and The Four Musketeers (Michael York and Rachel Welch version - screenplay by George MacDonald Frasier). A variety of miniatures for this period, but I think the ones by Brigade Games are some of the best.

Remember the Alamo
    This is an iconic American battle. Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie, Santa Anna and other 'larger than life' characters. Great potential for skirmishes, raids and other "rpg-group-sized" actions. To add a horrible twist - what if Santa Anna dabbled in the dark arts and raised an army of zombies to assault the mission? Miniatures available from Boot Hill Miniatures.
    Last edited by filbanto; October 19th, 2012 at 17:27. Reason: formatting

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by filbanto View Post

This would be my first pick, too. I'd de-emphasize witchery, though - give me tales and flavour more reminiscent of an S.R. Crocket novel. Add The Steel Bonnets by GM Fraser to the list of reference material.
    "Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

The Thirteen Wives (RQ3 Campaign)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm ... I think I would prefer something a little more exotic. Like for example the
    very early days of the East India Company, with a sea voyage around Africa to In-
    dia, first contacts with strange cultures (and creatures), hunted by the Portugue-
    se and by pirates, a bit of the spirit of Sinbad the Sailor's adventures in the mix, a
    lot of opportunities to use social and other skills in unfamiliar situations ...
    "Mind like parachute, function only when open."
    (Charlie Chan)