Clockwork and Chivalry - Factions

Harowen

I'm getting ready to start up a C & C game, and while making some visual handouts for the players (none of whom have played in the setting before), I came across some notable inconsistencies in the faction alliances.

Frequently, one faction will list another as an ally or enemy, but the other faction does not reciprocate the feeling. Adamites, for example, list 3 other factions as allies - none of whom return the feeling. They also list 3 other factions as enemies - none of whom return the feeling.

I guess you could look at it as who the faction feels are it's staunchest supporters and most threatening enemies, and so nobody really cares about the Adamites except for the Adamites. Is that the intended circumstance?

It seems that many of the factions have enemies who consider someone else to be their enemy. Rather than factions that are enemies with each other, we have this whole daisy chain of "I hate them! (But don't care about the people that hate me!)"

There are intentional inconsistencies. The Ranters, Adamites and Fifth Monarchists, in particular, are seen as an embarrassment by most of their natural allies - taking a particular facet of their rebellion too far (or offending the sensibilities of their fellow independents, such as the Puritans). Those with low RP are probably happy to knock along, but the truly devout will clash - another example, the Friends want to distance themselves from the Ranters (although they share a listening audience, etc), while the Ranters aren't hostile to the Friends, and actually see themselves as part of the same movement (as in the real history of the time, albeit compressed for inclusion). It's complicated - Christopher Hill writes comprehensively about all the competing factions of the time, personally I prefer his description to his analysis. We've tried to highlight the closest allies and most pressing enemies for each Faction.

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

I guess you could look at it as who the faction feels are it's staunchest supporters and most threatening enemies, and so nobody really cares about the Adamites except for the Adamites. Is that the intended circumstance?

Yes - although many of the other factions don't like them one bit, they have bigger fish to fry (although if you wanted to be really accurate, Royalist factions could lump them in with the swamp of other independents) :)

Edited by doomedpc

Peter Cakebread

It seems that many of the factions have enemies who consider someone else to be their enemy. Rather than factions that are enemies with each other, we have this whole daisy chain of "I hate them! (But don't care about the people that hate me!)"

Indeed!

I really hope you all enjoy the game - be sure to let us know how it goes. And feel free to ask away, if there's anything else that comes up :D

Peter Cakebread