RQ6 back in stock, now as a hardback!

Pete Nash

For the last two months the Design Mechanism has found itself in the rather pleasing situation of having sold out its entire first and second print runs of RuneQuest 6th Edition. We have been very fortunate that our customers have not only rated RQ6 very highly in reviews, but also spread the word amongst their gaming friends.

Faced with the need to print a new batch of the core rules, we are pleased to announce that RuneQuest 6 is now available as a high quality, durable hardback. This latest print run includes all of the errata, the upgraded artwork funded by the Indiegogo fundraiser; and has been produced by the same company who printed our excellent Collector's Special Edition.

For $60 you get a complete 456 page game including one of the most highly regarded combat systems in RPGs today, five different forms of magic with hundreds of abilities and spells, a comprehensive bestiary, Game Master advice and tons of additional extras, such as rules support for creating your own setting, cults, diseases and poisons, even traps.

Anyone who held out, put off by the price of the softback, will find this edition excellent value for money. You can order directly from us at the Design Mechanism website (we will throw in the pdf for free), or locate it at your local game store.

Well, we have an additional 76 pages over Hero 5th Ed, and I think the quality of the RQ6 covers might add to stopping power. However, what it really comes down to is exactly how 'pulpy' the pages are. Whilst RQ6 is fashioned from a specially refined type of historical/S&S pulp, the Hero 5th Edition pages are the epitome of garden sink pulply goodness, doubling its thickness. So until someone shoots a copy full of small calibre lead, I'm pretty sure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Wmj46S5qo! ;)

Well, we have an additional 76 pages over Hero 5th Ed, and I think the quality of the RQ6 covers might add to stopping power. However, what it really comes down to is exactly how 'pulpy' the pages are. Whilst RQ6 is fashioned from a specially refined type of historical/S&S pulp, the Hero 5th Edition pages are the epitome of garden sink pulply goodness, doubling its thickness. So until someone shoots a copy full of small calibre lead, I'm pretty sure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Wmj46S5qo! ;)

I really, really want to get this, but I'm on the fence. Is there anyone that can check the small caliber rating of this thing? At least check it against the paperback version and we can extrapolate from there. I'd HATE to spring for this, just to get gunned down on my way home from the game store. ;)

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I really, really want to get this, but I'm on the fence. Is there anyone that can check the small caliber rating of this thing? At least check it against the paperback version and we can extrapolate from there. I'd HATE to spring for this, just to get gunned down on my way home from the game store. ;)

Rod

You can buy two, just to be on the safe side.

I am just glad things are going so well for Design Mechanism. Having both the old Softcover and the new Collector's Edition of RQ. Not only that you keep producing high quality modules (Book of Quest, Monster Island and more on the way) to support the game in a rate that is surprising for a small company of Design Mechanisms size. Keep up the good work!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Vile Traveller

Having both the old Softcover and the new Collector's Edition of RQ.

I am not getting another edition. I'm serious. Not this time. Well, maybe ... No! Stop it!

While RQ6 is really way to crunchy for me to process, I'm sure it must be an excellent product and I'm happy it's selling well.

I hear very good things about Monster Island as well and that sounds like it may be useful for other, lighter BRP/d100-derived games. Is this a softcover product and does it include a map when bought in print? How easy would it be to use this with say OpenQuest or Renaissance? And with a non-BRP/d100 game? Could it be fitted into a non-S&S - pirate fantasy, Lost World pulp adventure - setting?

RPGbericht (Dutch)

Is this a softcover product and does it include a map when bought in print?

Yes it is, and yes it does. An A2, full colour map, no less.

How easy would it be to use this with say OpenQuest or Renaissance? And with a non-BRP/d100 game?

There would be a little conversion work to do on the stats, and magic may be a little more challenging, but essentially you won't have too many (if any) problems. For non BRP games, it depends really on the game system. The text is very evocative and you can get a very good feel for a monster's strength from its game write-up to help you convert it to some other system.

Could it be fitted into a non-S&S - pirate fantasy, Lost World pulp adventure - setting?

Its designed precisely to be used in this kind of way, and its very much a Lost World, pulp adventure setting. You know this when one of the NPCs is called Dug Maklure... :)

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

In the US, RQ6 is distributed by Alliance, which is the biggest US distributor and serves the whole of the USA. If Guardian deal with Alliance, they should put-in an order: Alliance has just taken delivery of a substantial consignment of the new hardcover.

In the UK we have no formal distribution, despite best efforts to make contact with Esdevium (or at least, answer our emails).

Any plans to make a nice hardcover of it as well? I mean, this looks like a book that will get to endure some extensive leafing-through! POD perhaps?

Hardcovers are expensive and the sales of supplements really don't warrant the outlay. So, no, Monster Island won't get a hardcover, even through POD. I've been less than impressed with DTRPG's hardcopy service. I did a test of RQ6 in both soft and hardcover and Lightning Source messed-up the cover and interior graphics. The hardback test I had done has disintegrated after about a year of standard use. I know that some people are very happy with hardcovers done through DTRPG, but as each hardcover has to be paid for before its delivered, proofing and error correction becomes costly to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Guardian just called me to say my copy was in. Which is really terrible timing -- I was actually hoping it would come in about three weeks later so I could pick it up at Game Storm. Now I'll probably have to dip into my convention fund if I want to be sure I'll have my copy.

I wish they'd taken my payment in advance so I could be well done with it....