Parry, how to?

loco

well i'm trying to do my first round of combat with BRP, and I find that the rules for parry are horribly explained,

If your character is armed with a weapon or shield

that could parry an attack, he or she may roll against

the relevant weapon skill to parry the blow. You do

not need to announce this beforehand, and it is done

in reaction to a successful attack roll from another

player or non-player character.

This tells me nothing,

what do i do if a character with 75% shield skill and a half shield, tries to parry an attack from an NPC with a hand axe and 40% axe skill? The attack was a success.

In your example, you roll your shield skill, and if you roll a success or better, the attack is blocked.

The rules mean to say that if you are armed with a weapon or shield that CAN parry attacks, you would roll that weapon's (or shield's) respective skill to parry. This is the simplest way to do it, and there are options that further detail the system, such as having separate skills for a weapon's attacks and parries (i.e. Sword Attack 75% and Sword Parry 30%).

Note the Attack/Defense Matrix that factors in different results (such as a Successful attack vs a Special Parry) on page 193 of the BGB.

Hope this helps.

In your example, you roll your shield skill, and if you roll a success or better, the attack is blocked.

The rules mean to say that if you are armed with a weapon or shield that CAN parry attacks, you would roll that weapon's (or shield's) respective skill to parry. This is the simplest way to do it, and there are options that further detail the system, such as having separate skills for a weapon's attacks and parries (i.e. Sword Attack 75% and Sword Parry 30%).

Note the Attack/Defense Matrix that factors in different results (such as a Successful attack vs a Special Parry) on page 193 of the BGB.

Hope this helps.

OH! crap i feel stupid, it was so simple. Thanks man!

No worries. Upon reading it, I could see how someone could interpret it differently. Just be aware that the more complex an attack/parry system you work with, the longer a single exchange between combatants can be. I find the Attack/Defense matrix to be a huge help (especially since one of my players printed a copy for each of us to keep handy) as it speeds things up a bit.

Also, it's easy to fall into a routine. "I attack. I succeed. I defend against his attack. I Specialed. Etc." Depending on how much immersion you like your games to contain, this could easily shatter the fourth wall. Once you find the right flow of combat procedure, however, it should all work out in the end. :)