Breaking things in BRP

Lemnoc

I love RQ6. But I've found the rules on breaking things with Brawn a little clunky. You can spend an infuriatingly long time and lots of rolls battering down a door, for example. Perhaps this is "realistic" but it also a bit tedious. I wonder if someone has a quick rule for how to handle the breaking of inanimate objects like doors, perhaps even a formula like 'X will break Y in Z rounds.'

Thanks, Loz. So if I understand this, you need to roll under the relevant Skill until you exceed 100%, and each roll equals a set amount of time (seconds, minutes, combat rounds, whatever appropriate). Yes?

In BRP, the standard rubric for inanimate objects is, generally speaking, SIZ = HP, w/ AP determined by the materials from which the object is made. Does this work as a general rule of thumb, on-the-fly rule for RQ6?

Thanks, Loz. So if I understand this, you need to roll under the relevant Skill until you exceed 100%, and each roll equals a set amount of time (seconds, minutes, combat rounds, whatever appropriate). Yes?

Correct. The value of the roll determining the contribution to the 100% goal.

In BRP, the standard rubric for inanimate objects is, generally speaking, SIZ = HP, w/ AP determined by the materials from which the object is made. Does this work as a general rule of thumb, on-the-fly rule for RQ6?

Yes - most inanimate objects have HP and AP, with HP being determined by size and density of the item, and AP by its material nature. However, depending on the situation and how you like to play the game, these values can be easily ignored in favour of a simpler system that places the emphasis on the story and unfolding drama.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I love RQ6. But I've found the rules on breaking things with Brawn a little clunky. You can spend an infuriatingly long time and lots of rolls battering down a door, for example. Perhaps this is "realistic" but it also a bit tedious. I wonder if someone has a quick rule for how to handle the breaking of inanimate objects like doors, perhaps even a formula like 'X will break Y in Z rounds.'

Well, you could work out the average damage per round and use that to figure out how long the should take, on average for the item to break. If you want, you could allow one roll and adjust the time based on the result.

For instance, if a door had 5 AP and 20 HP, and the attacking character did 1D8+1+1D4 damage each turn, you can take the average damage (8) subtract the 5 AP and assume that the character will do 3 points of damage a round to the door, and that he would break through it in 7 rounds.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.