Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swords of Cydoria

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Swords of Cydoria

Just an update for those who may have been holding out on picking up Swords of Cydoria - I finally got my check from Chaosium, all is right in the world!

Nick really came through for me.

So please go purchase a copy of Swords of Cydoria! If there's enough interest in this setting, I'll create future modules and adventures.

At some point I need to make a free intro adventure that uses nothing but the Quick-Start rules.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got this when it came out and just this past weekend we made characters and started to play. I gotta say it was awesome. This setting has a lot of potential, I'd love to see some supplemental material. Can you put a pdf of a character sheet on here?

Downloads
    Uploads

found the character sheets

Downloads
    Uploads

That's great to hear. There's also a city-based adventure on my blog (see Sig).

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

This is awesome news Christian. Happy to hear you finally got paid for your hard work. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good to hear. I have read the blurb on the Chaosium site. However I'd like to know a leetle more. Like which bits of BRP did you use or leave out, (maybe just the options checklist from the BGB as a guide) and which new stuff did you add (not always needed IMHO, but good to know) and what "feel" or "it's a bit like" you'd categorise it as. Of course a lovely review on here or rpg.net would help, but maybe someone here who bought it can do that?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tzunder.

There is a free preview in the files section of this site, but I'll try to summarize the answers to your questions:

Characters are heroic with the heroic hit point option.

Used:
    Psychic powers
    Vehicle combat
    Futuristic Technology
    Races and Cultures and Professions
    Abstract Wealth

Referenced (but not totally used):
    Mutations
    Super-powers

Not used: (but can easily fit)
    Magic
    Sorcery
    Sanity
    Fatigue
    Alliances
    Pendragon-style personality
    Stat-based skills

New:
    Ta'Oudh, A new power system for the setting that is based on the Sorcery rules
    Gadget rules
    Potion rules (references Mutations)
    Rules for forgeries and bureacracy

Description of the Setting: Swords and Lasers, Monsters and Robots. It's Sword and Sorcery meets Steampunk. Flash Gordon + John Carter + Thundarr + Last Exile + Firefly + Star Wars.

For more obscure references, it's Storm (the old Belgian graphic novels) + Tales of the Ketty Jay + Tschai: Planet of Adventure + The Knights of Cydonia video by Muse.

It's set on Earth in the far future (25,000 years). Or is it set on an alternate Earth? Or is it set on a parallel Earth somewhere out in the Galaxy? I'm intentionally not very clear about that.

Twenty years ago, the City-States of Cydoria were just about at a tech level equivalent to that of 1900 or so, though still heavily in a sword-and-sorcery style culture. Then one of they city-states made contact with advanced aliens and made a deal to get futuristic weaponry. They used these weapons to conquer the other City-States. They have now formed an evil empire. I provide several campaigns in the book ranging from treasure-seeking adventurers to rebels against the Vrildarian Empire. Plus a ready-made intro adventure.

I have provided several articles about the setting in the downloads section of this site under Science Fiction and I have a blog (see sig below).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Chris, I liked your Lightspeed work a lot and rate your style.
    Problem is, noone in the UK seems to stock it and postage from Chaosium is notoriusly expensive.
    Did they do a Print on Demand version?
    Last edited by tzunder; August 2nd, 2013 at 13:35.

Queensland, AUSTRALIA - "Hot one day, Tropical the next!"
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I just cashed in my Chaosium Points and downloaded this monograph earlier this morning.Wow, what a great setting, heaps of source material, lots of flavour. If anyone wants to do a BRP John Carter style game, this monograph is worth its weight in gold. I'm very impressed with the content so far. This really needs to be a fully-fledged setting line like Invictus I reckon. Top marks for this one!