Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Character Traits?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Character Traits?

Should BRP, or any of the D100 family have qualities and drawbacks at chargen? If so, how would you do it? What kind of things would you include?

Do you think this would benefit the system at all?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rogerd View Post
    Should BRP, or any of the D100 family have qualities and drawbacks at chargen? If so, how would you do it? What kind of things would you include?

Do you think this would benefit the system at all?
    Cthulhu by Gaslight has a system of traits that are either advantages or disadvantages. They are rolled at the character creation but could also be chosen. They add bonuses or penalties to some stats or skills.

Some examples :
    • Aged (Disadvantage): Add (1D3+1)x10 years to age; age affects statistics starting at age 30 for EDU, 40 for physical attributes (p. 36 of Call of Cthulhu 6th edition).
    • Ambidextrous: Uses either hand without offhand penalties.
    • Eagle-Eyed: +(2D3)x5% to Spot Hidden.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Cthulhu by Gaslight has a system of traits that are either advantages or disadvantages. They are rolled at the character creation but could also be chosen. They add bonuses or penalties to some stats or skills.

Some examples :
    • Aged (Disadvantage): Add (1D3+1)x10 years to age; age affects statistics starting at age 30 for EDU, 40 for physical attributes (p. 36 of Call of Cthulhu 6th edition).
    • Ambidextrous: Uses either hand without offhand penalties.
    • Eagle-Eyed: +(2D3)x5% to Spot Hidden.
    I do have that supplement but have not read it yet.....time being what it is and all that. What do you think of the ones in CbG? Are there any others you think could or should be included?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've never been a fan of advantages and disadvantages tied mechanically to the character. But I do like them tied to the world. I'm thinking of using fae's fate point concept for my games. The high concept, trouble and aspects help tie the character to the world fellow players and give a short background for the PC. With these aspects you can give the PC some motivations and RP material and dual the fate point economy. You don't have to use the fate system to the extreme that Fae does but does help me make my story and world more engaging for my players. This style of play may not be for everyone, but I like it.

Miles

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vexthug View Post
    I've never been a fan of advantages and disadvantages tied mechanically to the character. But I do like them tied to the world. I'm thinking of using fae's fate point concept for my games. The high concept, trouble and aspects help tie the character to the world fellow players and give a short background for the PC. With these aspects you can give the PC some motivations and RP material and dual the fate point economy. You don't have to use the fate system to the extreme that Fae does but does help me make my story and world more engaging for my players. This style of play may not be for everyone, but I like it.

Miles
    Which Fae RPG is this? Just wanted to know so that I can take a look.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do have that supplement but have not read it yet.....time being what it is and all that. What do you think of the ones in CbG? Are there any others you think could or should be included?
    Of course. This list is quite short and players will inevitably think to a lot of other traits that are used to depict novel or movie heroes... Some traits of this list could also be modified. Animal empathy is for example presented as a disadvantage (the character is too sweet with animals and let them dominate him). But it could perfectly be regarded as an advantage (the character understand animals better and can make them obey more easily, like a horse whisperer).

Now, as Vexthug wrote it, the most important thing to keep in mind is that traits work better when they are tied to the game world.

I come from GURPS, which is a game in which advantages and disadvantages are an important part of the character creation. Perhaps even the most important one. That is why the list of advantages and disadvantages given in the rules is huge... But even with GURPS, if the game master doesn't select the traits that are available in his game world, and the ones that are forbidden, and if the player doesn't justify the advantages and disadvantages he chooses with a good character background, things inevitably sound odd. Likewise, if players take too many traits, performing them during the game is too hard and, eventually, some of them become just forgotten words on the character sheet...

So, in my humble opinion, a complete list is not the most important.

First because no list can be complete, especially in a universal roleplaying game which can handle SF as well as fantasy. And second, because the best is when a player imagine a trait inspired by the background and that perfectly corresponds to the character he wants. Moreover, best traits are those that are fine tuned, not generic ones that could fit to every character. Two different alcoholic characters doesn't have exactly the same problem with alcohol for instance... One can become very bad tempered while the other one will just make a lot of gaffes and be very clumsy...
    Last edited by Gollum; January 30th, 2014 at 21:30.

Downloads
    Uploads

FAE is Fate Accelerated edition of the Fate core rules system from Evil hat games. It's a $5 rule book that's just 50 pages long for a narrative style RPG. There's a lot of games using this system in one form or another, like Icons, Dresdon files. I'm currently running an Icons game and it plays much truer to the super hero genra than any of the other game I've used in the past, like Hero and Mutants&Masterminds in my opinion. But I prefer BRP for my fantasy and sci-fi games they need a little more crunch for me, but I do like to add some narrative elements to them.

Miles

Sorry I forgot to provide a link http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...n?term=fate+ac
    it's a pay what you want for the pdf.

Mining other games for good ideas and adapting them to your favorate system is always worth doing if done right. Why not adapt GURPS adv./diasads to the game
    as long as it adds to the enjoyment. for me I would make them up as needed and avoid making a long laundry list of options.

I know OQ2 has a relationship system for things like rivals, enemies and family, and I think RQ6 may have something similer.
    but if you want special powers and abilities you can use the super powers and mutations from the BGB to make just about any effect you could want.
    Plus you can reflavor battle magic to mimic advantages/feats as well.

Just some thoughts, I would love to see what you guys come up with tho.
    Last edited by Vexthug; January 30th, 2014 at 23:37.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Of course. This list is quite short and players will inevitably think to a lot of other traits that are used to depict novel or movie heroes... Some traits of this list could also be modified. Animal empathy is for example presented as a disadvantage (the character is too sweet with animals and let them dominate him). But it could perfectly be regarded as an advantage (the character understand animals better and can make them obey more easily, like a horse whisperer).

Now, as Vexthug wrote it, the most important thing to keep in mind is that traits work better when they are tied to the game world.

I come from GURPS, which is a game in which advantages and disadvantages are an important part of the character creation. Perhaps even the most important one. That is why the list of advantages and disadvantages given in the rules is huge... But even with GURPS, if the game master doesn't select the traits that are available in his game world, and the ones that are forbidden, and if the player doesn't justify the advantages and disadvantages he chooses with a good character background, things inevitably sound odd. Likewise, if players take too many traits, performing them during the game is too hard and, eventually, some of them become just forgotten words on the character sheet...

So, in my humble opinion, a complete list is not the most important.

First because no list can be complete, especially in a universal roleplaying game which can handle SF as well as fantasy. And second, because the best is when a player imagine a trait inspired by the background and that perfectly corresponds to the character he wants. Moreover, best traits are those that are fine tuned, not generic ones that could fit to every character. Two different alcoholic characters doesn't have exactly the same problem with alcohol for instance... One can become very bad tempered while the other one will just make a lot of gaffes and be very clumsy...
    I sort of agree, and disagree at the same time. For instance somewhere I did invent some rules for bullet-timing in in BRP; basically using three levels of Fast Reflexes and Enhanced Time Sense (originally Gurps and has found it's way into Unisystem thanks to John Snead). As I cannot find it, I'm working from memory. It basically awarded extra Combat Actions, and something else. But yeah, Gurps went too far with advantages and disadvantages and went from a generic game to one over burdened with mechanics that I lost interest.

At the moment I am verging on another system of advantages being relatively simple in nature:
    1 point = fingers, toes, eyes
    2 points = arms, legs
    4 points = torso
    8 points = whole body

I've not worked up from there yet into creating other stuff yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexthug View Post
    FAE is Fate Accelerated edition of the Fate core rules system from Evil hat games. It's a $5 rule book that's just 50 pages long for a narrative style RPG. There's a lot of games using this system in one form or another, like Icons, Dresdon files. I'm currently running an Icons game and it plays much truer to the super hero genra than any of the other game I've used in the past, like Hero and Mutants&Masterminds in my opinion. But I prefer BRP for my fantasy and sci-fi games they need a little more crunch for me, but I do like to add some narrative elements to them.

Miles

Sorry I forgot to provide a link http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...n?term=fate+ac
    it's a pay what you want for the pdf.

Mining other games for good ideas and adapting them to your favorate system is always worth doing if done right. Why not adapt GURPS adv./diasads to the game
    as long as it adds to the enjoyment. for me I would make them up as needed and avoid making a long laundry list of options.

I know OQ2 has a relationship system for things like rivals, enemies and family, and I think RQ6 may have something similer.
    but if you want special powers and abilities you can use the super powers and mutations from the BGB to make just about any effect you could want.
    Plus you can reflavor battle magic to mimic advantages/feats as well.

Just some thoughts, I would love to see what you guys come up with tho.
    I suspected that you meant Fate Accelerated but didn't want to make any assumptions without confirmation. Now I do have that somewhere on my spare hard drive. Although I have never played in a game, I want to, although I also have things like Savage Worlds and innumerable other stuff that I haven't played - and want to play at some point. Trouble is most sites I try to play on, the RP's just fizzle out rather quickly and unfortunately I don't have time to arrange around the table games.

Although I have across a foreign system - Sistema Daemon. It is in Portugese but if you have Google Chrome it will translate automatically. Interestingly enough it has stats almost identical to BRP family, although it drops Siz in favour of Agility and Perception. Damage bonus is on strength alone. This does have quite a few traits that can be bought at chargen.

Sistema Daemon Fan Creation

Now this is so popular in Brazil (from what I've read as I live in the UK) that even the Devs has been creating fan supplements - the above being one such example.

Downloads
    Uploads

I sort of agree, and disagree at the same time. For instance somewhere I did invent some rules for bullet-timing in in BRP; basically using three levels of Fast Reflexes and Enhanced Time Sense (originally Gurps and has found it's way into Unisystem thanks to John Snead). As I cannot find it, I'm working from memory. It basically awarded extra Combat Actions, and something else.
    You are right here. There are times where building an advantage in advance rather than on the flow is absolutely necessary to balance things. Something like bullet-timing, for instance, has so many consequences on combats that everybody around the table must agree on what it exactly allows or doesn't allow. And to do that, nothing best than well thought tested rule... in advance.

But yeah, Gurps went too far with advantages and disadvantages and went from a generic game to one over burdened with mechanics that I lost interest.
    To be fair, GURPS can be played in a really simply manner once characters are created... 3D6 under the skill and that is almost all. But, indeed, the character creation is what takes a lot of time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Several version of BRP have advantages and flaws, including the Worlds of Wonder and Superworld boxed sets. I think they can benefit the system and campaigns, but they can also be overused and/or abused. Quite a few BRP players and GMs are against them.

Personally I think they help to cover features and abilities that aren't covered or not possible with the standard rules.
    Smiley when you say that.