Thread: Customizing and Compiling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Customizing and Compiling

When I run a d100 campaign, I tend to do a lot of system customization work during my prep-time. I usually use one product as a core framework and then replace parts with rules from other d100 products - cherry-picking my favorite d100 rules, basically. For example: a few years ago, I ran a Horror-Western campaign that used MRQ2 as a framework, and then imported rules from Call of Cthulhu, and various d100 sourcebooks. I've had very few campaigns where I've used a d100 game as-written - probably CoC 5+ years ago.

What I'm not good with, however, is organizing these house rules (/major system tweaks) into an accessible format. I've either had a rule-book handy during play, and scads of random documents with house rules. Or I've edited an existing pdf, and merged it with other pdfs. Inevitably, I get a player asking me where to look to get a better view of the final 'product'. And, I typically answer, "Well, it's here... and here... and here." Usually, these players just give up eventually and hit me up with rules questions during the sessions.

I'm making some plans now to put together a Sword & Sorcery sandbox campaign, and I want a better way of compiling and 'presenting' the chopped-up rules to make it easier for players to reference. In this case, I'm going to be using Elric! as a framework and replacing parts with pieces from OpenQuest 2e, and Renaissance. I've consider either:

• Compiling a number of pdfs broken into sections for chargen, task resolution, combat, etc.
    • Or, maybe going whole-hog and copy-pasting the contents into a doc, editing it and formatting into a 'book', creating a 'private' publishing through Lulu, and ordering a few copies.

Any BRP GMs that use any specific methods to organize their house rules, or BRP mishmashes?

Downloads
    Uploads

I like to use NBOS The Keep. It's useful for this sort of organization. It's NOT pretty but it's free.
    http://www.nbos.com/products/keep/keep.htm
    However, I do tend to also do as you said, and merge PDFs

Downloads
    Uploads

I think what you need to do is print off the house rule stuff. That way you can tell the players ' We are using the Elric! rules, except where these bits here supersede them."

Just printing off the alternate rules you are using should cut down on the amount of work you need to do to make it accessible, yet still give the players a way to keep up with what you're doing.

But...you really should be careful mixing and matching stuff, especially without the players be up on it and able to playtest stuff. There tend to be unforeseen complications that arise from swapping out rule sections. One thing that MRQ proved was that the rules in RQ/BRP are interconnected and changing any one thing can have a domino effect.
    Smiley when you say that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    But...you really should be careful mixing and matching stuff, especially without the players be up on it and able to playtest stuff. There tend to be unforeseen complications that arise from swapping out rule sections. One thing that MRQ proved was that the rules in RQ/BRP are interconnected and changing any one thing can have a domino effect.
    Interesting. I haven't encountered any problems mixing and matching d100 rules sets in the past. At least nothing that has caused a noticeable effect on gameplay. On the contrary, d100/BRP has proven to be pretty resilient to whatever goofy changes I've made to it.

Could you provide an example of how MRQ caused a domino effect of complications?

P.S. As one example, I'm considering swapping out Elric's Major Wound Table with the Major Wound system found in Renaissance. There are similarities but in Renaissance the results are broken up into rough hit locations, allowing for PCs to aim at, and damage locations when taking a penalty to their attack roll. It doesn't go so far as introduce RQ-like hit location tracking, but some more focused targeting, if player's are willing to accept the penalty (and still do enough damage to cause a Major Wound). I could see the penalty as something to consider in the case of Elric's general skill levels, but I'm not sure if a complication will result from this change.