Page 1 of 60 123456112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Site News & Introductions

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Site News & Introductions

BRP Central is a community fansite for Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying game system and related RPG systems and settings. The "new" Basic Roleplaying rules (The Golden Book) and the supplements published for it receives most of the attention, but older incarnations of the rules like classic RuneQuest, Stormbringer and Call of Cthulhu, and its more distant relatives like Mongoose RuneQuest and SimpleQuest also receives their fair share of attention.

The "home" page is dedicated to news and reviews about published and unpublished supplements for the "new" Basic Roleplaying system. The forums are open for all sorts of discussions, with one main forum, one forum for published supplements and one with temporary subforums for various projects. The download section contains free resources contributed by the community - it's a bit messy, but try the search function if you can't find what you're looking for browsing the categories. A simple blog option is available to all members, linked to their profile page. We have an old wiki (soon to be scrapped) and a links list (soon to be updated). So what are you waiting for? Stop lurking, register and introduce yourself in this thread below!

SGL.
    Last edited by Trifletraxor; September 5th, 2010 at 20:44.
    Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
    116/420. High Priest.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rudy Bowen, glad to 'meet' you all.

Started in 1978! with the Basic D&D blue book, the rules for which we couldn't figure out. We liked the idea of fantasy rpgs, though, so we persevered and started playing using the old TFT Melee and Wizard sets, pasted over the D&D stats and using the D&D monsters and such. Around 1980 the group split with part of us going to AD&D and half to RQ. I was in the RQ group, needless to say.

I have played rpgs, mostly GMing, ever since. About 90% of that being BRP in one form or another. My favorite has always been Stormbringer, and I still prefer the early versions, up through SB3. My second most played game has been CoC. I guess I am a BRP fanatic. I don't think any other system I have looked at and/or tried works as well. Including MRQ...the marketing model stinks and the combat system is really too clumsy. And it does not have to be. Fortunately I didn't fall for it (I only bought the pdf of the first rulebook), but it made me wary. As excited as I want to be about the new BRP book, I am trying not to be because of my disappointment in the Mongoose stuff. Although I really want it to be good, I am pretty much adopting a 'wait and see' mode right now.

I am really happy to see a site like this appear, about BRP games specifically I mean (maybe it will become as popular as Dragonsfoot is for the OD&D crowd). It is hard to hang around other forums and try to get involved in games I consider second rate but which others are really into. I am really looking forward to many interesting discussions and sharing of ideas and game experiences and such with folks of more compatible tastes...BRP. So thanks for starting this up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sorloc / Sean

I have been gaming since 1982. I started with Star Frontiers (TSR), Boot Hill (TSR) and Wild West (FGU), then Spacemaster (ICE), Chivalry & Sorcery (FGU), Bushido (FGU), Twilight 2000, and James Bond (VG).
    I started GMing with Wild West, Runequest and Stormbringer, but it wasn't until I found a pile of cardboard sheets with attack tables, critical charts, and tons of spells that I found one of the two best games ever, Rolemaster.
    It wasn't until 1992 that I finally played D&D, and perhaps that is the problem. It's like I was brought up on anime and manga and then someone forced me to watch old OLD (pre WWII) Looney Tunes and said, "isn't this the greatest?"
    Well, in a word, no.
    It's my fault, really, I was spoiled.
    After more than two decades of gaming, my favorites are Runequest (3rd), Rolemaster (2nd+3rd), Spacemaster, DC Heroes, Champions, Ars Magica, Mage, and, with the right people, Werewolf.
    I have also played Villians & Vigilantes, Marvel Stupor Heroes, Aftermath, Space Opera was pretty cool, but that's all I remember of it, Wooden Ships & Iron Men were theirs too. I made a character for Flashing Blades but never played it. I also played Twilight 2000, Recon, Paranoia, Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Jorune, Cyberpunk, GURPS, Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes, Tunnels & Trolls, Traveller, Torg, Pendragon, and a few others.

GM:
    Champions
    DC Heroes
    Mage
    Pendragon
    Rolemaster
    RuneQuest
    Spacemaster
    Star Frontiers
    Stormbringer
    Werewolf
    Wild West

Player:
    Aftermath
    Ars Magica
    Boot Hill
    Bushido
    Call of Cthulhu
    Champions
    Chivalry & Sorcery
    Cyberpunk 2020
    DC Heroes
    D&D 3.5
    Earthdawn
    Flashing Blades
    GURPS
    James Bond 007
    Jorune
    Mage
    Marvel Stupor Heroes
    Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes
    Paranoia
    Pendragon
    Recon
    Rolemaster
    RuneQuest
    Shadowrun
    Space Opera
    Spacemaster
    Star Frontiers
    Stormbringer
    Torg
    Traveller
    Tunnels & Trolls
    Twilight 2000
    Vampire
    Villians & Vigilantes
    Werewolf
    Wild West
    Wooden Ships & Iron Men
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

Downloads
    Uploads

That's pretty eclectic. You have actually played in all those? I have read most of them, only played in maybe ten of them. Not many I can think of that I have played not on your list...

Downloads
    Uploads

I was part of a teriffic group for quite a while... about once every two months or so we would go to the game store and pick up at least 1 new game and try it out.
    Jorune, for example, we only played once. No particular reason. I don't really remember much about it, just there were lots of strange races.

Freedom Fighters I did not list, because we never got past character creation. After 3 days of working on the characters, we gave up. And people complain about RoleMaster!

We also played at least once a week, sometimes more... ah, High School...
    Also, we weren't under the 'dnd' spell, so we were able to keep our minds open.

The list of stuff I've played twice is smaller...
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
    George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey all,

I'm a freelance writer and game designer. My very first roleplaying experiences were with 4th ed. Stormbringer, and I find myself being consistantly drawn back to the game and the setting after periodic deviations with other games. I've been playing and writing Stormbringer material since 1993. My first published works were the (now OOP) monographs Gods of Chaos and Gods of Law, and I've completed by books for Mongoose set in Elric's world.

I'm currently planning a BRP setting book to be done as a companion to the basic rulebook. It's a crazy, over-the-top space fantasy that makes use of every power system and rules sub-set in the BRP rulebook. It was initially planned for a similtaneous release with the rulebook, but that isn't going to work out.

I'm also currently trying to expand my area of expertise so that I can work with other companies, which means learning systems that I'd normally consider too crunchy for personal use.

Personally, I'm quite pleases that there is finally a BRP forum, and I can't wait to see what neat ideas come out of this place.

Charles Green

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Green View Post
    I'm currently planning a BRP setting book to be done as a companion to the basic rulebook. It's a crazy, over-the-top space fantasy that makes use of every power system and rules sub-set in the BRP rulebook.
    I sure do like the sound of that! :-D

Sverre.
    Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
    116/420. High Priest.

Downloads
    Uploads

GREAT!! A BRP forum. I'm sure this place will be thriving soon

hello.

I'm a failed poet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there! My name is Bethany and I am a gamer. -grin- I started playing GURPS back in, oh my gosh, it has been almost 9 years now!!

My main bread-n-butter games to play are Ars Magica, Runequest, Rolemaster and Champions.

I GM Rolemaster.

And I have the game Godlike (if you have not played it yet, go pick it up!) and have been DYING to run a game sort of like the comic Top 10, written by Alan Moore.

On the personal level, I am 30, currently live in Houston and, sheesh, go look at my My Space page. It'll tell you lots about me!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    my online name is Enpeze and my real name Klaus. My daily money I get from newspapers and advertising agencies which I work with as a computer layouter. I am living in the beautiful city of Vienna and I am eating the whole good day Mozart-Kugeln (ok the latter was the usual joke for tourists...)

I play roleplaying games for 25 years now (I began with 16y) and I hope this will last for another 25 years. At the beginning I played a german roleplaying game called Midgard. 2 years later I detected RQ2 and thereafter CoC. That was it. Since then I am playing mostly BRP/RQ. I tried other systems but they are mostly not up to my expectations. (some are really bad, some others boring etc.)
    What makes BRP perfect for my taste?
    -simplicity (I never has to look up for a rule)
    -no artificial levels (like D&D or others)
    -no XP (like Gurps, D&D and others)
    -suitable for EVERY genre (expect toon, comic or extreme heroic/cinematic)
    -it melts with the background - some systems take themselves much too important, not so BRP
    -DEADLY! Oh yeah man. I am laughing when my NPCs manage to decapacitate a PC and looking at the shocked faces of my players is worth many Large Bronze...hehe.
    -Realistic, lets face it. If you draw a weapon in BRP it could be your last action in this adventure as this PC. If you know this you will think of alternative ways to solve conflicts. Which leads to great roleplaying!

So I prefer a rather simulationistic environment in my games with heavy acting from GM and players alike. I expect from my players to involve themselve in portraying their characters realistically and so do I am with my NPCs. Many modules we played in the last decades are legendary in our little circle and we speak of them years thereafter as if they happened yesterday. My preferred genres are fantasy (homebrewn world), Chtuhlhu, traveller, and ICE Cyberspace (with BRP rules of course)