Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Chargen Aids?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PC Chargen Aids?

Does anyone know if there are any character generation aids available on the PC (even spreadsheets) for BRP or the other d100 games? I know that there's a Hero Lab module for CoC but that appears to be it as far as official material, and plans for an MRQ HL template never materialized.

That said, fans are notorious for putting together anything and everything in terms of play aids. So maybe there are things out there.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use one based on a database app (Filemaker Pro) for MRQII that delivers what I need for Legend. I think the author originally posted on the MGP forums but it's been a long time. The file is name Runequest 2 PC ver 1.0 and there are an NPC generator and a multiple NPC generator. Don't know where you'd find it now though.

There's a BRP one in the downloads section here that does BGB character gen done by a German guy/guys.

Generally BRP/D100 character generation varies enough game by game that one app doesn't fit all. But on the other hand D100 character generation is so simple that it hardly needs computer assistance. As long as you can count up or down every time you put points into a skill, even using pencil and paper, you are gold. There aren't any weird feats or must have choices to make just allocating points to skills. True some skills are more important in a setting or game than others but you soon learn that, or the GM can tell you that, Dodge/Evade is a good choice to boost as well as the skill that boosts defence against magic.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've mucked around with this kind of thing in Excel for RQ3 and Call of Cthulhu, which I've just uploaded here...
    BRP-CoC
    It's very simple though.

Or, for something that is a bit more ambitious (but potentially also less useful), I have done a javascripted Aces High character generator here ngen.htm. Which is more complex and much more specific.

My RQ3 'Foes Too' excel sheet is pushing 3mb and includes 50 plus pages of critters, but was never created with the intention to pass it on (means its rather messy, open to modification and primarily for creating NPCs). If you want to see it, if you're interested, let me know.
    Last edited by MrJealousy; January 29th, 2014 at 16:35.
    Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nclarke View Post

Generally BRP/D100 character generation varies enough game by game that one app doesn't fit all. But on the other hand D100 character generation is so simple that it hardly needs computer assistance. As long as you can count up or down every time you put points into a skill, even using pencil and paper, you are gold. There aren't any weird feats or must have choices to make just allocating points to skills.
    This is one of the reasons I play Superworld rather than Champions...Hero System has gotten to the point that when you visit their board and bring up character creation, nearly everyone directs you to buy software for it. I can only raise my eyebrows in surprise; I simply can't imagine wanting to play a game that almost requires a computer to check the math for you. Doesn't sound very inviting. Plus I recoil at spending additional $ to play a game. I know I don't have to use it, but it makes it appear character creation in Hero must be very convoluted these days.
    http://mattssuperheroes.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

The herolab mod is OK for very basic BRP. I've got it myself. But the folks at lonewolf are far too busy pumping out Paizo stuff (and making a killing) to add any more content to BRP.
    I've been bugging them for quite awhile to upgrade to no avail.
    I'm not sure how nice the CoC part of the mod is as I don't play CoC. I wouldn't waste your money if you're wanting anything more than modern era mechanics.

Downloads
    Uploads

I never used software for creating my Champions characters. Could they take up to 2 hours to build? Sometimes, if a character had a complicated concept. It's the price of having options and flexibility. But, as I've said before elsewhere, Superworld is also a point-buy system. So, whether you're spending 350 points in Champions (for stats, powers, skills and everything) or 700-ish points in Superworld (500 skill points, INTx10 personal skill points, plus 80-90 power points), you're still figuring out how to assemble your abilities to fit the concept and trying to assign reasonable levels of competency. Both have Disadvantages/Failings that need to be balanced. Both have energy costs for power use. Hero has a Speed Chart; BRP has DEX or Strike ranks. Building Superman with either system is going to be a pain in the butt.

Just poking around, I've found this:

http://chaosium-brp-character-genera...nloadluck.com/

http://windows.softwareweb.com/chaos...-generator.htm

http://fictional-character-generator.winsite.com/

Don't know if these are "safe." But there are several of them online.
    Last edited by seneschal; 1 Week Ago at 19:39.

Downloads
    Uploads

The herolab mod is OK for very basic BRP. I've got it myself. But the folks at lonewolf are far too busy pumping out Paizo stuff (and making a killing) to add any more content to BRP.
    I've been bugging them for quite awhile to upgrade to no avail.
    I'm not sure how nice the CoC part of the mod is as I don't play CoC. I wouldn't waste your money if you're wanting anything more than modern era mechanics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    I never used software for creating my Champions characters. Could they take up to 2 hours to build? Sometimes, if a character had a complicated concept. It's the price of having options and flexibility. But, as I've said before elsewhere, Superworld is also a point-buy system. So, whether you're spending 350 points in Champions (for stats, powers, skills and everything) or 700-ish points in Superworld (500 skill points, INTx10 personal skill points, plus 80-90 power points), you're still figuring out how to assemble your abilities to fit the concept and trying to assign reasonable levels of competency. Both have Disadvantages/Failings that need to be balanced. Both have energy costs for power use. Hero has a Speed Chart; BRP has DEX or Strike ranks. Building Superman with either system is going to be a pain in the butt.
    I dunno 'bout that...I can make up a Superworld character in 15 minutes, maybe 30 if it's complicated. Champions up thru maybe 3rd edition was close. Anything 5th edition and up makes my eyes glaze over, which I suppose is why they push the software so hard. Plus my Superworld character fits on one page; last I checked a Champions character sheet is at least 4 pages long. Not saying it's a bad game, in fact I quite like 4th edition, but the later editions are too involved for me. Just gimme Superworld & Superworld Companion and I'm happy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fifteen minutes? [Adds Super Speed to Matt's data file.]

You're a better BRP-er than I. It takes me that long to get a set of characteristics that I like. I'd have trouble getting a normal character done in 15 minutes, much less a super.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seneschal View Post
    Fifteen minutes? [Adds Super Speed to Matt's data file.]
    The Flash was the first comic book I remember actively seeking out...back during the Cary Bates years! Guess it rubbed off.