Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: BRP Mecha Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,066
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default BRP Mecha Questions

    Okay, I figure it about time somebody other than Rosen use BRP MEcha to write up something and I started working on something but ran into a couple of problems. So, seeing as how the author haunts these hallowed forums....

    1) In the book it says for mecha 1 MOV per 10 kph, yet elsewhere it states 1 MOV per 10m per round. Which is correct?

    If my mecha can go 220kph, should it have a MOV score of 22, or 7? And yes, this is ground speed.


    2) For human sized mecha (powered armor), do I use SIZ Class 1 for my design? Or something like SIZ Class 0.5? I'm also debating between stating them up in mecha scale or human scale.



    So far the stating process has been interesting. Most of the stuff works, but I've had to ignore to tweak a rule here and there to match the source anime.
    Smiley when you say that.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the EU
    Posts
    1,532
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    70
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    A good question, Atg. And a good opportunity to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the airing of episode 1 of "Mobile Suit Gundam" in Japan. Today, the Real Robot genre is 35 year old!

    As usual, there is a difference in how things are handled in the RR and SR sub-genres.

    The figure you find in chapter 2 (1 MOV per 10 kph of walking speed or 70 kph of running speed) is appropriate for Super Robots. It will make them run as fast as a human, in proportion. Real Robots should go half as fast as that, so you should assume a speed of 5 kph per MOV walking, or 30 kph per MOV running. The actual running speed varies a lot according to the supposed "Performance" of the mecha. So, the figure in chapter two is only accurate for Super Robots. This will find its way into the errata sooner or later.

    Example: Mazinger Z (Super Robot, MOV 5) walks at 50 kph and runs at 350 kph. Grendizer runs way faster in proportion, but it makes sense as it is an alien mecha.

    A Zaku 1 (RR, MOV 4) walks at 20 kph and runs at 120 kph (actually half, due to construction constraints of this old model)

    A Zaku II (RR, MOV 5) walks at 25 kph and runs at 150 (again, about half of this in fact)

    A Geelgog (RR, Mov 6) walks at 30 kph and runs at 180 (this time the running speed is correct, as this is an agile mobile suit, on par with a Gundam).

    In combat, all Mechas move 10m per round per MOV point if they want to shoot without penalty, and the other MOV multiples bestow the listed penalties. Note that this is incongruent with the declared walking speeds, but making super robots more nimble makes sense.

    You can assume that maximum sprint speed per round in combat is MOV x10 for a real robot, and MOV x 20 for a super robot. It will roughly match the nominal running speeds.

    Human sized Mecha are not Mecha, they are powered armours - use normal BRP rules for them.

    Finally, you cannot avoid fudging if you want to stay true to what you see in the anime. This is a basic assumption in BRP Mecha.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,066
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default

    Thanks Rosen,

    I'm finding the design process in Mecha a bit interesting. Some stuff works out very easily, and other bits aren't so easy. Perhaps the most interesting stuff though is the stuff that almost works, where I have to fudge it a bit. For example, expanded the missile types down a couple of steps for mini size missiles (1d3 damage, plasma warhead treated as HEAT for 1d2+1).

    The human scale mecha not being mecha does cause me a few problems though, since I'm working on MOSPEADA. The MOSPEADA Ride Armors just about work as SIZ Class 1, although I do have to ignore a few of the SIZ Class based rules.

    Oh, and please do not write this up for me. My goal is to see if I can do this up.

    From a gameplay perspective it looks like it will work.


    I think my biggest complaint with BRP Mecha is with the layout. I wish you hadn't broken up the mecha design stuff into two sections. I hate flipping back and forth in the PDF.





    Some technical stuff that you may or may not be interested in:
    Down the road I've got to send you a Universal POW table. I think it is possible to use a universal scale for mecha POW/ I can see why you did things the way you did (crossovers), but I think a universal system would work better.

    Oh, and as a side note, thrust in kN isn't actually POW but STR. In real world terms 1kN thrust is approximately 100kg on the STR table (actually it's closer to 102kg, but who cares). This could give you a way of estimating mecha STR.

    Also, in real world terms, Power= Thrust * Velocity, so in game terms it's possible to do a POW=STR+MOV type of equation, letting you work up one stat from the other two.
    Smiley when you say that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,066
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default

    Okay, here's a writeup for a Mobile Operation Soldier Protection Emergency Aviation Dive Armor (M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.). I had to take quite a few liberties with the BRP Mecha design rules, but I think it works. I haven't done a mortocylce configuration for it yet. Not sure if it really needs one.



    STR SIZ POW DEX APP DB MOV Armour
    +8* 19 48 - - - 1 [walk**] [1/33fly***] 2

    * Since the MOSPEADA armor argments the wearer's own STR.
    ** When in bike configuration the MOSPEADA can be driven at MOV 7.
    Melee 01-04 05-08 09-12 13-15 16-18 19-20
    Missile 01-03 04-06 07-15 16-17 18-19 20
    Location R Leg L Leg Torso R Arm L Arm Head
    Hit points 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Sections Thrusters [2]/ Thrusters [2]/ Cockpit [2], GR-97 [2] [GR-97 [2] Sensors [2],
    Jetcraft [2] Jetcraft [2] Ejection ]

    Note that any damage in excess of the MOSPEADA's Hit Points are applied to the pilot in the same humanoid hit location. Pilots wear Ride Armor that will soak 1 point of mecha-scale damage. The Ride Armor can be ejected from a damaged MOSPAEDA.

    *** MOV is 3 if the MOSPEADA uses its leg thrusters as a Jetcraft, spending 2 PP per round.

    Weapon Position Type Damage Range Cost/Ammo Special
    Brawl - Brawl 1d4 close
    EP-37 60mm hand-held particle beam gun Hand Carried Particle 1d4 10 [M] 15 shots per clip Impale, Optics
    GR-97 dual 45mm x 260mm missile tubes Each Arm [3] Energy* 1d2+1 5 [S] 1 shot PP Twin, 1 pair on each arm

    *The GR-97 missiles fire a plasma warhead (same as a HEAT round). Technically a HEAT round should be considered Energy, not Kinetic. Which would, IMO make them much more useful in BRP Mecha, and realistic.

    Note: The MOSPEADA mecha is worn over a suit of CVR-03 Ride Armor. The Ride Armor provides 14 AP (character scale) and comes with built in two way radio, polarized faceplate, and a 5 minute internal (30 minute filtered) air supply.


    I'm starting to think that a 1/10th scale (i.e. character scale) version of the mecha design rules could be a possibility. Each point of mecha scale damage could translate into 3D6 character scale.
    Last edited by Atgxtg; 1 Week Ago at 13:50.
    Smiley when you say that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    148
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I wonder what side of the real/super divide your typical Gundam (such as the White Doll from Turn A Gundam) falls on, because when the Gundams interact with the run-of-the-mill mecha used by their foes, it rarely goes well for the foes. In Wing, the find named Gundams were a LOT better than the Oz and earth mecha they usually fought. OZ needed to use research, special tactics, and fiendish traps to even present them with a challenge.

    Which is what you will probably want to do in a game. Lull the heroes into complacency with hordes of easy-to-defeat enemies and then give them something meatier that poses a real threat. And then have the player-characters deal with the intrigues, conflicting loyalties and interpersonal complications that define the Gundam franchise (and make it so very Japanese, given how much of the samurai adventure genre it emulates deals with those conflicts of loyalties and court intrigues upon which honorable heroes are dashed).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    28
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Okay, I figure it about time somebody other than Rosen use BRP MEcha to write up something and I started working on something but ran into a couple of problems. So, seeing as how the author haunts these hallowed forums....

    1) In the book it says for mecha 1 MOV per 10 kph, yet elsewhere it states 1 MOV per 10m per round. Which is correct?

    If my mecha can go 220kph, should it have a MOV score of 22, or 7? And yes, this is ground speed.


    2) For human sized mecha (powered armor), do I use SIZ Class 1 for my design? Or something like SIZ Class 0.5? I'm also debating between stating them up in mecha scale or human scale.



    So far the stating process has been interesting. Most of the stuff works, but I've had to ignore to tweak a rule here and there to match the source anime.
    What's weird I didn't notice that discrepancy when I was running my Mechanized Pendragon campaign.

    For MOSPEADA I would definitely stat them up as SIZ Class 1 mecha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Thanks Rosen,

    I'm finding the design process in Mecha a bit interesting. Some stuff works out very easily, and other bits aren't so easy. Perhaps the most interesting stuff though is the stuff that almost works, where I have to fudge it a bit. For example, expanded the missile types down a couple of steps for mini size missiles (1d3 damage, plasma warhead treated as HEAT for 1d2+1).

    The human scale mecha not being mecha does cause me a few problems though, since I'm working on MOSPEADA. The MOSPEADA Ride Armors just about work as SIZ Class 1, although I do have to ignore a few of the SIZ Class based rules.

    Oh, and please do not write this up for me. My goal is to see if I can do this up.

    From a gameplay perspective it looks like it will work.


    I think my biggest complaint with BRP Mecha is with the layout. I wish you hadn't broken up the mecha design stuff into two sections. I hate flipping back and forth in the PDF.





    Some technical stuff that you may or may not be interested in:
    Down the road I've got to send you a Universal POW table. I think it is possible to use a universal scale for mecha POW/ I can see why you did things the way you did (crossovers), but I think a universal system would work better.

    Oh, and as a side note, thrust in kN isn't actually POW but STR. In real world terms 1kN thrust is approximately 100kg on the STR table (actually it's closer to 102kg, but who cares). This could give you a way of estimating mecha STR.

    Also, in real world terms, Power= Thrust * Velocity, so in game terms it's possible to do a POW=STR+MOV type of equation, letting you work up one stat from the other two.
    I started using your method to determine stats for my macross and patlabor conversions. I think I went back to tweak the numbers of previously converted mecha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    Okay, here's a writeup for a Mobile Operation Soldier Protection Emergency Aviation Dive Armor (M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A.). I had to take quite a few liberties with the BRP Mecha design rules, but I think it works. I haven't done a mortocylce configuration for it yet. Not sure if it really needs one.



    STR SIZ POW DEX APP DB MOV Armour
    +8* 19 48 - - - 1 [walk**] [1/33fly***] 2

    * Since the MOSPEADA armor argments the wearer's own STR.
    ** When in bike configuration the MOSPEADA can be driven at MOV 7.
    Melee 01-04 05-08 09-12 13-15 16-18 19-20
    Missile 01-03 04-06 07-15 16-17 18-19 20
    Location R Leg L Leg Torso R Arm L Arm Head
    Hit points 1 1 1 1 1 1
    Sections Thrusters [2]/ Thrusters [2]/ Cockpit [2], GR-97 [2] [GR-97 [2] Sensors [2],
    Jetcraft [2] Jetcraft [2] Ejection ]

    Note that any damage in excess of the MOSPEADA's Hit Points are applied to the pilot in the same humanoid hit location. Pilots wear Ride Armor that will soak 1 point of mecha-scale damage. The Ride Armor can be ejected from a damaged MOSPAEDA.

    *** MOV is 3 if the MOSPEADA uses its leg thrusters as a Jetcraft, spending 2 PP per round.

    Weapon Position Type Damage Range Cost/Ammo Special
    Brawl - Brawl 1d4 close
    EP-37 60mm hand-held particle beam gun Hand Carried Particle 1d4 10 [M] 15 shots per clip Impale, Optics
    GR-97 dual 45mm x 260mm missile tubes Each Arm [3] Energy* 1d2+1 5 [S] 1 shot PP Twin, 1 pair on each arm

    *The GR-97 missiles fire a plasma warhead (same as a HEAT round). Technically a HEAT round should be considered Energy, not Kinetic. Which would, IMO make them much more useful in BRP Mecha, and realistic.

    Note: The MOSPEADA mecha is worn over a suit of CVR-03 Ride Armor. The Ride Armor provides 14 AP (character scale) and comes with built in two way radio, polarized faceplate, and a 5 minute internal (30 minute filtered) air supply.


    I'm starting to think that a 1/10th scale (i.e. character scale) version of the mecha design rules could be a possibility. Each point of mecha scale damage could translate into 3D6 character scale.
    Now I'm interested in seeing you do a conversion of the inbit.
    My roleplaying blog: Axes and Orcs. Scramblings of anime, D&D, and RQ-derived games.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the EU
    Posts
    1,532
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    70
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    There is nothing like seeing people use your creature in ways you did not foresee. And it isn't the first time this happens to me with Mecha.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,066
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RosenMcStern View Post
    There is nothing like seeing people use your creature in ways you did not foresee. And it isn't the first time this happens to me with Mecha.
    Sorry,
    It's just that I happened to pick a mech that is almost the worst choice for converting into BRP Mecha.

    And I'm really thinking of doing up some notes for human worn mecha. I think a lot of the Mecha stuff would work and could be scaled down to character scale easily enough. Weapon damages, for instance, could look something like this:

    Mecha Damage Character Damage
    1 3D6
    1d2 4D6
    1d3 7D6
    1d4 8D6
    1d6 10D6
    1d8 13D6
    1d10 16D6
    2d6 20D6
    2d8 26D6
    3d6 29D6
    2d10 32D6
    4d6 40D6
    Smiley when you say that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,066
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default

    [QUOTE=Canis latrans popus;54891
    Now I'm interested in seeing you do a conversion of the inbit.[/QUOTE]

    In the works. The Inbit stats won't be finalized until I do up the Armor fighters. That way I can be sure that the combats and damages work out similar to the anime, and nothing ends up too tough. But, the Inbit Iigaa (Eager) looks something like this:


    Inbit Iigaa
    SIZ 60
    STR 39
    POW 39


    Armor: 1
    Hits: Head 2, Arms 2 each, Torso 3, Legs 2 each

    MOV 2 (run), 10 (fly, flight scale)

    Equipped with: Visual Sensors (poor quality)
    Energy Sensors
    Audio Pickups
    Motion Sensors
    Thrusters/Jetcraft

    Attacks:
    Brawl 1d2
    Claws 1d4


    I'll need to do up stats for actual Inbit, and probably revise the MOSPEADA stats some. Frankly that low (98hp) engine of the MOSPEADA is causing me more grief that the character scale. I'd really like the bikes to be a bit stronger, but it's hard to pull off with a POW 7 engine. And yeah, I do need to give it some fule tank POW points. I have to check and see if BRP MEcha has rules for long term PP costs. I'd like to be able to turn the time or range listed into some sort of multiplier, such as x1 multiplier per day of endurance or some such.


    Also, most Mecha in this series, other than the MOSPEADAs seem to have ample POW, and will normally be operating within the 1/10th recharge rate.
    Smiley when you say that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    28
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RosenMcStern View Post
    There is nothing like seeing people use your creature in ways you did not foresee. And it isn't the first time this happens to me with Mecha.
    I bolted it on top of Pendragon and even altered the way stats were derived for my game. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0RgpTvR3o_9ZFl2ZzkteGtqeGs&usp=sha ring&tid=0B0RgpTvR3o_9S0toTU1PSDF6Tk0 Treating the mecha like RR while having kaiju and magic does interesting things to the system.



    Quote Originally Posted by Atgxtg View Post
    In the works. The Inbit stats won't be finalized until I do up the Armor fighters. That way I can be sure that the combats and damages work out similar to the anime, and nothing ends up too tough.
    I'll need to do up stats for actual Inbit, and probably revise the MOSPEADA stats some. Frankly that low (98hp) engine of the MOSPEADA is causing me more grief that the character scale. I'd really like the bikes to be a bit stronger, but it's hard to pull off with a POW 7 engine. And yeah, I do need to give it some fule tank POW points. I have to check and see if BRP MEcha has rules for long term PP costs. I'd like to be able to turn the time or range listed into some sort of multiplier, such as x1 multiplier per day of endurance or some such.


    Also, most Mecha in this series, other than the MOSPEADAs seem to have ample POW, and will normally be operating within the 1/10th recharge rate.
    It's got to weird trying to make balance the stats out so that a MOSPEADA or two can fight a small group of Inbit, but still make it worth the while to pull out an ARMO-fighter.
    My roleplaying blog: Axes and Orcs. Scramblings of anime, D&D, and RQ-derived games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •