Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Spell-Making For Fun and Profit (but mostly Fun)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0

    Default Spell-Making For Fun and Profit (but mostly Fun)

    I have the Magic Book, copies of some other d100 games with magic in them, and so on. I'm wondering about adding some new spells specifically if I run something -- things that will hopefully surprise players and people who read about them. But I don't want to go overboard in terms of spell power either -- I want these to by things a PC can cast (if she can learn them) without ecxhansting all their Magic Points in one shot and without totally upstaging the rest of the party.

    Example: I want to be able to enchant a blade with Elemental Sharpness so that it can cut through any inanimate material. Things like pesky knots of the Gordian variety, reinforced wood-and-steel doors, obscene idols to the Unhallowed Ones, and so on. But the knife or whatever cannot penetrate living material at all, and does no damage to living things in combat from the edge (it would probably still leave a thin welt if it struck exposed flesh, but it wouldn't cut or penetrate the skin). You could cut a steak with it, but not a live cow. The spell would be of limited duration -- you might get one or two cracks at your slicing, but after that it either goes back to being a normal blade or becomes useless (losing its edge altogether, until you have the chance to go see a weaponsmith to get it sharpened again). In an extreme case the weapon could be utterly destroyed when the spell ends, shattering into a million pieces or crumbling to dust.

    Now in a points-based system like Hero modeling this is a relatively easy collection of advantages and drawbacks that affect the spell's point total. There is no such guidance in most BRP fantasy settings or games. I'm wondering about things like the MP cost to cast, the number of spell levels it would take up, and so on.

    It would, of course, function differently if it were a Divine spell as opposed to a Sorcery.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,073
    Downloads
    58
    Uploads
    7

    Default

    I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Can you, as a GM, make up such an item? Yes. Can such an item be potentially unbalancing? Yes, because you never know just how the players might use the item.

    As far as the risk of the PC upstaging the rest of the party, well, that can't be helped if you give that PC access to greater abilities than the rest of the group. If they do so or not depends on the player.


    The points and all that stuff don't really matter. I can show you two characters in HERO, GURPS or whatever built on the same number of points, but who are nowhere near equal in capabilities.


    As the GM, you will have to decide if the benefits are worth the risks, and also probably come up with a way to undue things if the new ideas mess everything up.
    Smiley when you say that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Just how powerful is the Elemental Sharpness spell I posited earlier, and how would it work mechanically?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in England
    Posts
    649
    Downloads
    52
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    Just how powerful is the Elemental Sharpness spell I posited earlier, and how would it work mechanically?
    You're referring to the Magic book as opposed to Magic World ? That is, the one with Spirit Magic, Divine magic etc etc in ? Also which version, the one that uses hit locations or the one that doesn't ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    773
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    74
    Uploads
    3

    Default

    Saw this over at RPGnet. For completeness sake I'm going to post my response here as well.

    I think your best bet, Michael Hopcroft, is to pick a powers system and then piece it together that way. As soltakss says, compare the spell to other spells for strength and eyeball it.

    If I were going to do this using the Sorcery system I'd look to Summonings as a guide. Being able to cut effortlessly through non living things sounds to me to be a pretty durn powerful effect. Generally, Sorcery magic runs in the 1-4 mp cost range. The below is a very generic break down.

    1 mp = three types.
    a) grants caster a single ability that doesn't harm another character (see through unintelligent creature's eyes, cause light to appear, obscures area, etc)
    b) increase chance of harming or affecting another character by a small amount (involving a mp : mp or a POW : POW roll).
    c) gateway spell to more powerful spells (summoning demon or elemental)

    2 mp = Slightly more powerful and can effect temporary change in subject (think spells like Heal)

    3 mp = either has multiple effects or can do direct damage with a save (also cause permanent change, such as Repair, in inanimate objects)

    4 mp = specialty spells that are flashy and cause change in the environment or individual (not instant death spells though, moderate change)

    Then you have Summonings, that amplify effects to a significant degree. Hell's Razor 4 will increase the damage a blade does by 4 points. Summoning and binding a demon weapon increases damage by significantly more. These things cost at least 1 point of permanent Pow. There are also specialty spells that go above the 1-4 mp range. None of them sound quite like what you're going for though.

    Going by your description above, making this a spell with a limited duration, I would fudge the Sorcery rules.

    Elemental Sharpness 1 POW*, 8 mp
    *this cost is a one time expenditure. Characters must have at least 16 Pow to cast spells.

    Duration is caster's POW in combat rounds. This spell is used to enchant a blade so that it can cut effortlessly through any inanimate material. Useful against most barriers, pesky knots of the Gordian variety, Unholy Idols, and so forth. The downside is that it can't cut through or into living tissue at all. The most it can do is leave a thin welt on exposed flesh. Thus you can cut a steak with it but not a live cow. At the end of the spell, the blade crumbles to dust.
    70/420

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    773
    Blog Entries
    1
    Downloads
    74
    Uploads
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    Just how powerful is the Elemental Sharpness spell I posited earlier, and how would it work mechanically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    I want to be able to enchant a blade with Elemental Sharpness so that it can cut through any inanimate material.
    I would say it's VERY powerful. I can see all sorts of abuses for it, which is why I placed the cost where I did. Keep in mind I'm using Sorcery from the BRP core and Magic World book, not the RQ derived stuff. For that you need to talk to one of the many RQ experts around here.
    70/420

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sandy Eggo
    Posts
    543
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
    I have the Magic Book, copies of some other d100 games with magic in them, and so on. I'm wondering about adding some new spells specifically if I run something -- things that will hopefully surprise players and people who read about them. But I don't want to go overboard in terms of spell power either -- I want these to by things a PC can cast (if she can learn them) without ecxhansting all their Magic Points in one shot and without totally upstaging the rest of the party.

    Example: I want to be able to enchant a blade with Elemental Sharpness so that it can cut through any inanimate material. Things like pesky knots of the Gordian variety, reinforced wood-and-steel doors, obscene idols to the Unhallowed Ones, and so on. But the knife or whatever cannot penetrate living material at all, and does no damage to living things in combat from the edge (it would probably still leave a thin welt if it struck exposed flesh, but it wouldn't cut or penetrate the skin). You could cut a steak with it, but not a live cow. The spell would be of limited duration -- you might get one or two cracks at your slicing, but after that it either goes back to being a normal blade or becomes useless (losing its edge altogether, until you have the chance to go see a weaponsmith to get it sharpened again). In an extreme case the weapon could be utterly destroyed when the spell ends, shattering into a million pieces or crumbling to dust.

    Now in a points-based system like Hero modeling this is a relatively easy collection of advantages and drawbacks that affect the spell's point total. There is no such guidance in most BRP fantasy settings or games. I'm wondering about things like the MP cost to cast, the number of spell levels it would take up, and so on.

    It would, of course, function differently if it were a Divine spell as opposed to a Sorcery.
    The old Elric!/Stormbringer 5th RPG had two supplements that allowed you to create your own spells to some degree. Basically, you pulled in various powers, and the rules told you how expensive in MP (and possibly other costs) the spell would be. Unknown East and Corum. IIRC, Advanced Sorcery will have the rules from Unknown East in it.

    Ian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Chaot's writeup illustrates how very unclear I am on some of the core concepts. Like what could be described for want of a better terms as "the POW economy". Unlike the other core attributes, POW is apparently expected to fluctuate: certain things cause you to gain POW, and if you have enough POW you can sacrifice some of it to do things like buy spells like this.

    Here's another example: you're a magic-utilizing Victor Frankenstein who wants to build a person out of parts from the dead. Not an obedient golem -- anybody can built a golem -- but a complete person with their own mind, will and (if you believe in that sort of thing) soul. Mechanically speaking such a creation will have a POW score. Where does that POW come from? Can our creator sacrifice a little bit of his own POW as a "starter", and the creature gradually adds to his score as he gains knowledge and experience?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    27
    Downloads
    52
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    I'd probably summon a spirit to use as a POW source for the flesh construct. If any of it's old memories or whatever get in there too, I'm sure that'll all turn out fine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    163
    Downloads
    20
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NathanIW View Post
    I'd probably summon a spirit to use as a POW source for the flesh construct. If any of it's old memories or whatever get in there too, I'm sure that'll all turn out fine.
    In at least one filmed version of the story, Frankenstein deliberately chose the brain as that of a recently deceased mentor. He hoped that some of the intellect of his friend could be recovered and that he would be essentially be resurrected -- opening the path to the immortality of the best and brightest of human minds (including presumably his own). It didn't work out that way -- even though that version of the creature was highly intelligent (enough to teach himself to read without any instruction, and to comprehend very complex written material) he didn't have the knowledge possessed by the original owner of his brain, and had a quite different sense of ethics as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •