Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Renaissance Settings

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Renaissance Settings

The wonderful Adrian Jones (who wrote Shirdley Hall for Clockwork & Cthulhu, and the forthcoming Wolves of the Coast freebie adventure for Renaissance) is now working on some setting materials for the Renaissance RPG system. He'd like to know which two of the following you are most interested in seeing next (preferably in order of preference):

1 -Arthurian Myths & Legends
    2 -Roman Britain with Fantasy/Cthuloid elements
    3 -Eire in the 11th Century in the style of Robert E Howard
    4 -Steampunk (Alternate History 1880's)
    5 -Dieselpunk WW1 but with occult aspects
    Peter Cakebread
    Cakebread&Walton
    Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doomedpc View Post
    The wonderful Adrian Jones (who wrote Shirdley Hall for Clockwork & Cthulhu, and the forthcoming Wolves of the Coast freebie adventure for Renaissance) is now working on some setting materials for the Renaissance RPG system. He'd like to know which two of the following you are most interested in seeing next (preferably in order of preference):

Oh...man such levels of awesomeness shall ensue. To some extent option 1 & 2 have already been covered by Chaosium. So I'd go with option 3-5. Any of those would be cool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by doomedpc View Post

2 and 1. Even if Chaosium covered them I'm sure a Renaissance supplement would be different enough to make them unique.

Downloads
    Uploads

5 first then 3 for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Number three, thank you very much. REH is always amazing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would go with first five, then three.
    Last edited by Sutekh; April 20th, 2013 at 11:07. Reason: clarification
    BRP 31/420

Downloads
    Uploads

No. 4, then No. 5.

Downloads
    Uploads

Number 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Short version: 5 then 3 then 4

Rambling rationale:
    1 - I think RQ6 guys were planning on this
    2 - Cthulhu Invictis already has a lot of this ground covered
    3 - Great idea - could tie in with Mythic Iceland too
    4 - Lots of Steampunk games on the market - would like to see your take after Airship Pirates (which is cool, but I will never end up playing)
    5 - This looks like ground that is not covered well in the RPG market. The Tannhauser boardgame is the only thing I know that sounds similar to this.

Queensland, AUSTRALIA - "Hot one day, Tropical the next!"
    Downloads
    Uploads

Short Answer: 5 and 1.

Rationale:

5 - Dieselpunk World War One? This sounds totally cool and fairly unique. Could be a niche market for better or worse though. However, its a totally cool idea though, and very in keeping with the other Renaissance RPG games which have gone for left-of-centre themes, such as English Civil War/Clockpunk, Clockpunk/Cthulhu, Edwardian Cthulhu, etc. I think it will be in line with the expectations of current Renaissance players, and could easily grab the attention of new ones. I would certainly like to see this setting see the light of day.

1 - Age of Arthur? I chose this because Arthurian myths are timeless and always sell. Arthurian Myths are just one of those genres of Fantasy that always will bring in the crowds, just like Tolkien's Middle Earth. I'ld lik eto see it done in a BRP-related RPG system rather than all that great narrative going to waste on something like a D20 system. The Pendragon rpg was great, but as its no longer in production there's an opportunity, and someone will definitely produce Arthurian games if you don't.

(But here's the remainder, it may help or complicate matters...)
    4 - Classic Steampunk. You can't have enough Victorian Steampunk games on the market. Newbies will buy it if the artwork is attractive and pulpy. Oldies love it, and its an all round winner, although there are already a few competing games out there doing Victorian Steampunk (but not as much as the glutted out Fantasy market).
    3 - I love Sword n Sorcery, but this has been covered by many other games. I tend to play The Hyborian Age using the setting books from Mongoose with BRP or RQ mechanics. There are numerous sword n sorcery settings already out there by multiple publishers, so unless you get rights to REH or E.R.Burroughs settings then it will be hard to stand out from the crowd, no matter how good the setting/game actually is,
    2 - Roman/Barbarian Briton with Cthulhoid elements... sounds great, but I think Design Mechanism is already working on a pre-medieval Briton setting, and Chaosium already has Invictus for a Roman Cthulhu setting. I know your idea is marrying the two, but it may not have all that much market potential with the other two settings out. I'ld hold back on producing this one, despite it being something I'ld like to play.
    Last edited by Mankcam; April 21st, 2013 at 19:21.