BRP ideas in RQ2 (1980) Combat

NathanIW

So on Friday I have the next session of my Runequest 2nd edition game. So far, we've found the combat system surprisingly functional, but I've heard that once skill levels get high enough, things can get problematic.

So what solutions does BRP offer me that I should consider if I'm either looking to preemptively deal with any issues that might arise or if I want to just make the game better?

I like the 12 strike ranks and we've had no problem dealing with hit locations, so those are staying.

What about adding in the dodge skill? The general combat matrix where people with high parry skills still need crits or specials to block crits or specials? The -30% for additional parries and dodges?

It's entirely possible that my best bet will be to make no changes, but I figured there must be something to consider from the last 35 years that people have been playing BRP based games.

Personally, I'm a believer in playing a system (relatively) as-is before making serious changes to it. And not necessarily trusting to public opinion until I have played it for myself and see whether my experience matches up to that opinion, or is different.

Another factor is: once RQ2 PCs get high enough skill levels they are serious movers-and-shakers in the world. And, as such, should face challenges that test them. Which could include facing NPCs with high Defense and potent spells.

P.S. I couldn't see myself adding a Dodge skill, due to the existence of the abstract Defense value.

So on Friday I have the next session of my Runequest 2nd edition game. So far, we've found the combat system surprisingly functional, but I've heard that once skill levels get high enough, things can get problematic.

So what solutions does BRP offer me that I should consider if I'm either looking to preemptively deal with any issues that might arise or if I want to just make the game better?

I like the 12 strike ranks and we've had no problem dealing with hit locations, so those are staying.

What about adding in the dodge skill? The general combat matrix where people with high parry skills still need crits or specials to block crits or specials? The -30% for additional parries and dodges?

It's entirely possible that my best bet will be to make no changes, but I figured there must be something to consider from the last 35 years that people have been playing BRP based games.

Take a look at the advantages that accrue to RuneLords in RQ2 - one of them allows a character with exceptional combat skill to reduce their own skill an penalize their opponents Parry by the same amount - allow non-Runelords with a qualifying skill that option.

Other changes from BRP that you mention will alter the feel of RQ2 combat quite a lot - they can all be used and nothing will actually "break" per se, but allowing multiple defenses at -30 or adding a Dodge skill etc will make the combats more heroic / swashbuckling. As noted, if you add a Dodge skill, consider removing or limiting Defense (there is sufficient overlap in their functionality that combinign the two might skew things in ways you don't want).

Cheers,

Nick

Using Dodge rather than Defense would work OK without any real problems.

RQ2 combat is basically the same as RQ3/BRP combat, some things might have changed slightly, but it is still Attack, Parry, roll damage, roll hit location and see how much gets through.

High skills are not problematic, or weren't in our RQ2 campaign. In fact, Defense counters high skills very nicely, so it might be worth keeping it. A Rune Lord with 150% attack fighting someone with 65% Defense is at 85%, for example. Using Dodge removes that skill reduction. I liked RQ2 Anti-Parry, so someone attaching at 150% reduces parries by 50%, making skills count.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

• 3 months later...

I think it'll be no real changes for the next session. I'm reading through BRP, Magic World, RQ3 & RQ6 for ideas, but if there's no any huge issues with RQ2 as is, I'll probably wait to make any changes.

Dunno if you found any changes but try this discussion forum.

Some RQ2 chaosium discussions and same ideas on rule changes in spots.

http://gringlespawnshop.proboards.com/

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"