Reactions vs. Crits

K Peterson

I was looking through Renaissance Deluxe last night, re-reading the combat chapter. And something stood out to me since the last time I'd read it - something I hadn't remembered. When an attacker achieves a critical hit, there is no advantage whether a defender successfully, or unsuccessfully reacts to it. Same result: Attacker does maximum damage and ignores defender's armour. If you don't Crit Parry/Dodge you're screwed. And, even if you do, you're still getting hit.

This struck me as odd. Is this an OpenQuest-ism? Seems a bit cruel. :)

I was looking through Renaissance Deluxe last night, re-reading the combat chapter. And something stood out to me since the last time I'd read it - something I hadn't remembered. When an attacker achieves a critical hit, there is no advantage whether a defender successfully, or unsuccessfully reacts to it. Same result: Attacker does maximum damage and ignores defender's armour. If you don't Crit Parry/Dodge you're screwed. And, even if you do, you're still getting hit.

This struck me as odd. Is this an OpenQuest-ism? Seems a bit cruel. :)

I don't think it's OQ.

It us rather like Elric tho.

Ouch! Obviously feel free to adjust to suit your game, but yes, it's intended to be 1D6 per metre, after (and not including) the first. Falling onto soft surfaces lessens the damage. I'd definitely consider Hero Pointing my Athletics test.

Ken probably wrote it not long after a trip to the emergency room/casualty...

Peter Cakebread

>:>Cakebread&WaltonO:)

Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

Ouch! Obviously feel free to adjust to suit your game, but yes, it's intended to be 1D6 per metre, after (and not including) the first. Falling onto soft surfaces lessens the damage. I'd definitely consider Hero Pointing my Athletics test.

Ken probably wrote it not long after a trip to the emergency room/casualty...

I work in medical records. Falling flat on your face onto concrete after being tripped up hurts -- even if your head is only going from upright to banging against the sidewalk. It gets worse the older you get.

Hope your characters have decent bone density. As you get older, your bones start to deteriorate and falls get more dangerous.