BRP Mecha Questions

Atgxtg

Oops! Have to turn in my anime quiz master card. ;) But regardless of series, don't you want your mecha pilot to be able to go at least a couple rounds with a 20-something foot giant?

depends. Sometimes you want your mecha to go at least a couple of rounds with Godzilla (although that's a completely different style of mecha, which is also referred to in the BRP Mecha book).

Which reminds me I still need to get around to watching Pacific Rim.

By the way, Crunchyroll (the anime streaming service) has an online store that is currently offering on special the complete first season of Mobile Suit Gundam 00. I always thought this series should have been extraordinarily controversial because the "heroes" belong to essentially a very well-funded terrorist group, but nobody batted an eye about it.

But that isn't new ground entirely for the franchise, as anyone who remembers Gundam Wing can attest. When that came out in the 1990s, at about the same time as Dragonball Z, it was like a wildfire. Among other things, it was one of the first "cartoons" in the US to embraced by writers and fans of "slash" fiction, starting an entire subculture in anime fandom in the US (gay doujinshi was nothing new in Japan, of course -- that's how CLAMP got their start, after all....). And it became so popular among teenage and adult fans that Cartoon Network did special showings of every episode at midnight -- only this time the episode was uncut (the regular showings were edited for a younger audience with the violence toned down).

I always thought this series should have been extraordinarily controversial because the "heroes" belong to essentially a very well-funded terrorist group, but nobody batted an eye about it.

Man, if you want something controversial WRT ethics and main characters being terrorists, have a look at Code Geass. That is disturbing stuff.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Unlike the robot fighters from StarBlazers. In one episode, one of the human heroes sneaked aboard a Zentradi battleship. In robot form, his fighter craft was the same size as one of the aliens. He briefly engaged in fisticuffs with an enemy soldier before his giant opponent tore him out of the cockpit.

That was one of the neat things about Macross. The fighters turned into giant robots specifically because we knew that the aliens were giants. It's probabl the best justification for giant robots I've seen in an anime series. And said pilot probably would have done better if he had duked it out with anybody on that ship other than Breetai.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Now I'm curious. I'll have to watch an EP or two.

But then, a lot of anime has stuff that is disturbing. Often the same stuff, and it gives an insight into the Japanese culture, and target audience. For example:

-If it's for males, there will be fanservice. [in fact, if there isn't any fanservice at all, it's probably aimed at 6 year olds and not worth watching.]

-Ditto the obligatory Hentai character. [i know a lot of these shows are for teenagers, but even something like the venerable Space Battlecruiser Yamato can't escape it- even if they have to bring in a horny robot]

-Most parents neglect their children, to the point where stage agencies would be called in most Western countries. The ones that don't neglect their children are usually much worse than the ones who do! [A sad commentary of the Japanese family. It isn't the outsider viewpoint that they are being neglected- it's the way it's being presented to it's target audience of Japanese schoolkids. Either as a show of sympathy, or an example of how much worse it could be. But it's sadly ironic that Japanese teenagers seem to miss their parents when most other teenagers are so sick of their parents that they are rebelling]]

-The best way to get the girl is to spend time with another girl. [in anime the girls get competitive over the guy, rather than dump him]

-The best way to see a girl naked is to see another girl naked. [same as above. Still, I wound't mind testing this out just to make sure I'm not mistaken:P]

-Victims of bullies, no matter how badly they are provoked, are somehow considered wrong for standing up for themselves, especially against upperclassmen. [Non-conformity is bad in Japan.]

I think it is more that the typical Japanese teenager feels neglected (parents working long hours; kids left to themselves) and the TV series do the same sort of thing, but to a greater degree.

• 1 month later...

I'm reminded of the Titanfall tpopic that apparently is going nowhere at the moment. Videogame mecha created for American audiences seems to be a fundamentally different animal. You can (and at some point probably will) customize your Titan in the video game, but it is mainly an extension of yourself.

And the same Titans are used by both sides in the galactic civil war that is the context for the game. I can see role-paying situations where telling friend from foe is a challenge, where friendly-fire "Accidents" (including some that might not be quite so accidental) happen regularly -- especially since it's possible to grab an opponent, pull him out of the cockpit, and steal his Titan.