Monk as a Profession?

tooley1chris

I've been experimenting with new uses for the Allegiance system and one of those is a Monk who must maintain allegiance with Balance but receives special skills that the use of MP can enhance. The idea is to come up with a mystic martial arts character like those from the movies like Crouching Tiger, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Ect...

This is a concept idea and I would really appreciate feed back on it (especially from Nick/ Ben if time allows), as I am not much of a numbers cruncher when it comes to game mechanics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7cmsbce2se8ikk/The%20Zen%20Master.doc

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

I'm not Nick or Ben, but Dragon Lines may have some ideas for you in that regard. See what Rosen has to say.

Man, there is so much I just don't know about all the expansions/supplements for BRP. This looks really neat, Seneschal. Appreciate you enlightening me.

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Both Dragon Lines and Celestial Empire are great asian settings. Celestial Empire is more historical in context and centred around China, whereas Dragon Lines is a pure fantasy setting. Both have Martial Arts although Dragon Lines is definately more fantastic Wushu in flavour. I see Celestial Empire as part of my Mythic/Fantasy Earth setting, whereas Dragon Lines is pure oriental fantasy which has a great setting but can easily be plugged into any asian style homebrew settings. Both titles are relatively slim, but have great content and are an asset to any BRP collection. I highly recommend both books, but Dragon Lines in particular will scratch your itch here, it has the flavour you are after.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yep. I'm leaning towards Dragon Lines. But just for the martial arts mechanics to incorporate into my MW campaign.

Thanks for advice, Mankcam. Glad I asked you good folks before reinventing the wheel...again. :)

When you get your mitts on your copy of Advanced Sorcery, go directly to the chapter titled "Arete". It's pretty much exactly what you want.

It's a system that lets you do cool things once certain skills get over 100%. It's inspired by the old "Land of Ninja" Ki powers.

Between that, and the expanded rules for using Allegiance to create cults in the upcoming Chronicler's Companion, you should be all set.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.

Tooley1chris you have done a fair bit of work with your martial arts powers. I think if you buy Dragon Lines you will find that some of the martial arts effects you created are already covered in that book, although you can probably incorporate some of the other ones as techniques under your own Martial Arts styles. You could use Dragon Lines Martial Arts styles as a base, and if you need more then just follow the template there provided for Martial Arts styles and create a few new ones to your liking. You can come up with a nice homebrew that is using ideas already playtested, its not all that different from the path you were going down.

Having said this, I think I personally find the Martial Arts presented in Celestial Empire pretty good as well. There is an option for having Wushu Powers, which is basically some of the Super Power rules attuned for Martial Arts, and some new Powers as well. I find the approach in Celestial Empire much clearer in some ways and more consistent with the BGB. Even though the flavour of the book itself is very historical, the optional Wushu rules work quite well and are simple to grasp. I slightly prefer these rules, but either Celestial Empire or Dragon Lines will certainly be a good buy for you.

Zomben I have the old RQ3 Land of Ninja and the Ki Skills were a cool concept for its time. I think I tinkered with it at one stage to see if it could be widened in scope, but I have since lost those notes, it was mid 90s or so.

Anyway it sounds like the new 'Arete' system in the upcoming Advanced Magic book is something that increases the scope of skills to beyond mundane effects, and this will be something I'm keenly interested in. I'm sure you could also create 'Pulp' Feats as well using such a system, which would be good if transposed onto the Astounding Adventures setting rules.

I am also interested in seeing some examples of using Allegiance in cults, so this also raises my interest in the Chronicler's Companion. Sounds like both titles will be a worthwhile BRP purchases, I'm looking forward to these books Ben.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

When you get your mitts on your copy of Advanced Sorcery, go directly to the chapter titled "Arete". It's pretty much exactly what you want.

It's a system that lets you do cool things once certain skills get over 100%. It's inspired by the old "Land of Ninja" Ki powers.

Between that, and the expanded rules for using Allegiance to create cults in the upcoming Chronicler's Companion, you should be all set.

Have to Admit, Ben, the Arete chapter as described really got my mouth watering. I actually had about 15 pages typed up detailing my own version of this before I knew you were working on it. Again...reinventing the wheel...LOL.

I'm putting ALL my projects on hold and starting a book of Side Quests instead. At least THOSE should be a useful contribution on my part. :)

Any word on Advanced Sorcery PDF? I'm dying here! I'd almost buy it, waiting for my contest copy! LOL!