Feats for BRP

tooley1chris

Been working on converting some feats from 3.5 to BRP. These could be Aretes, I suppose, for Magic World. As always, tell me what you think and include a link of someone elses thread who already did all of this. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59999343/brp/BRP%20feats.doc

When I'm done with it I'll put it in downloads.

Suggested changes?

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

One of starting character skills for MW starts at 60% in normal Fantasy game. This would give a feat after a couple good sessions. I wanted these to be rewards for great skill to help differentiate PCs from goons,mobs,ect... I suppose you could always start feat acquisition at 50% instead of 75% for faster advancement, but keep in mind feat gains are not based on "level" like D&D. After awhile the character is like to have many skills with feats attached.

These might even be better off used as "effects " for Arete, as in Advanced Sorcery. Thoughts?

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

I've updated the original file to include a couple more feats but am not sure adding any more will make a huge difference.

Oh, and I changed the file to the correct one with spell check. LOL.

I'll wait a couple days and pretty it up. See if anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions, then toss it in the downloads section.

Looks similar to Heroic Abilities from MRQ2 and LEGEND.

If I was to use these I would tweak them in with the Arete system from Magic World for consistency. I found that you don't need a Feat system for most gritty BRP games, especially if everyone also has access to a spell or two if its a fantasy setting. But its nice to gain advantages to skills if you proceed beyond 100%, so some of these could be easily tweaked to work in with the Arete rules.

Thanks for posting.

The only time I would want a Feat system for skills below 100% would be if playing a very Pulp flavoured setting. I'm currently doing this with Astounding Adventures, except I allow the characters to choose from the BRP Spell list and change the trappings to be heroic yet barely plausible abilities, as most other Pulp settings do this to great effect. I was surprised that BRP Astounding Adventures did not have them actually, as without them its just like playing Call of Cthulhu without Monsters.

I'll save your Feats and see where they fit in with the Arete system. It shouldn't be too hard, and I like what you've done here.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thanks, Mankcam. Honestly the more I think about it, the more I'd rather see these as "effects" of the Arete system. I'm pretty worried about power balance. Maybe I'll make a "feat" version and an "Arete effect" version and let peeps use it how they will. Almost ready for next project. :)

I just scanned the list on your document. I find them very interesting and will give it a more complete read through when I get time! Very good ideas there, thanks for posting!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I just scanned the list on your document. I find them very interesting and will give it a more complete read through when I get time! Very good ideas there, thanks for posting!

Like most of the work I post here, it's mostly from other sources. In this case, I merely borrowed the idea from D&D 3.5. Granted, it took a bit to convert it and remain fun for BRP /MW, but not my idea. :)

I AM, however, working on a book of "Side Treks" for Chroniclers to throw at players. THOSE will be original (although I'm very likely to borrow artwork)

They will be mini-modules that have the opportunity to become plot hooks, should the chronicler choose.

It's been a lot of fun incorporating BRP skill uses and degrees of success into the stories.

Since this site only allows relatively small uploads, I may have to post them individually. Ugh, I'm rambling! That's for another thread!

• 1 month later...

The combat feats seem much more powerful than the non-combat feats. It is a very interesting idea you have, I really like it.

Didn't mean to double comment in a second thread. I couldn't find my original comment, and thought the site lost it.

Edited by CthulhuFnord

• 2 years later...
On 3/29/2017 at 9:20 PM, Celtic Viking said:

Sorry to raise thread, but the link in the OP is dead, does anyone have these to share?

Cheers!

Maybe send Tooley1Chris a direct message. It looks like he hasn't visited the site for a couple of weeks, but I'm sure he'll see it eventually.

I am not sure it's the same file but if you go to the downloads section of this site and search for feats, a file called Feats and Aretes is available for download.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!