Couple of head-scratchers

Puggins

Hi All!

I've just picked up Magic World, and though I like it quite a bit, a couple of things left me scratching my head a bit. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding things- I'd love some corrections or simply comments. I hasten to add that these aren't criticisms- like I said, I'm quite positive towards the game.

1) Is there any real penalty to using a large shield?

It seems to me that anyone that can wield one (the strength requirement appears quite lax to me) should do so, at least while they're not riding a horse- the protection against missiles is so much better and the Hit Points make it much harder to destroy. The description makes these sound like the classic shields used by shield bearers that cover archers, but are nearly useless in melee combat due to their sheer unwieldiness. Functionally speaking, these seem more like classic kite shields or shields used by the Roman legions. Is the description just a bit off?

2) Why are the light mace and warhammer so much better than the broadsword?

Sure, the broadsword has a slightly higher maximum damage, but it has identical average damage and its base weapon skill is substantially worse. I get the impression- especially after reading the greatsword- that group 2 swords are probably meant to be small/medium length weapons, rather than just medium length- it doesn't make any sense to me that a greatsword can be used at close range but a broadsword or short sword, which are both slashing and thrusting weapons, can't be used close in.

3) Several spells penalize you for having a higher POW.

Gift of Earth, for example, dumps a set amount of dirt in an area, but it takes POW rounds to be done. That means a wizard with 20 Power will take 4 rounds longer to dump the earth than a wizard with 16 power. Maybe increase the volume according to power, making the dump a consistent amount every round?

Thanks, and looking forward to playing this!

Howdy Puggins.

1. There is no penalty other than the Str/Dex requirements. It seems to be a no brainer that a PC would pick up a shield like this. Especially if they are using a one handed weapon. Oddly enough, my players eschew shields in favor of two handed weapons or two weapon fighting. They're damage junkies. Plus, taking a shield effectively splits the amount of weapon skill you're able to devote to combat. This tends to encourage specialization.

2. I think your assessment is pretty accurate about group 2 swords. In general, blunt weapons are easier to pick up and use in this game than edged weapons. Only by 10% points or so, though. Considering the heights that skill levels can get, this really isn't much of an advantage. The light mace and the broadsword average out to 5.5 damage. The mace does more base damage and the broadsword does more maximum damage. Over all, I'd consider it a bit of a wash.

The greatsword is intentionally unbalanced. It was done in honor of Elric and is a hold over from those rules. The greatsword and the great axe are monstrous weapons.

3. Huh. I'm on vacation and so can't check these against the Elric! rules. I hadn't noticed that before. I would rule that it takes 16 rounds to complete the earth dump.

70/420

3) Several spells penalize you for having a higher POW.

Gift of Earth, for example, dumps a set amount of dirt in an area, but it takes POW rounds to be done. That means a wizard with 20 Power will take 4 rounds longer to dump the earth than a wizard with 16 power. Maybe increase the volume according to power, making the dump a consistent amount every round?

All spells do indeed last a number of rounds equal to the caster's POW. Since this spell states specifically that 60 cu-meters are dumped by the end of the spell, it would seem that a caster with a 20 POW produces this volume more slowly than a caster with 16 POW. Whether the general rule of spell duration and the specific description of this spell is a penalty to high-POW characters is very much a matter of circumstance. If the spell was cast to prevent pursuit through an area, then 4 additional rounds of effect would be beneficial to the 20 POW Caster - Only the most foolhardy or experienced adventurer would charge through a room that seemed to be magically filling with earth.

It's your call though. You could maybe state that the spell produces POW x 3 cubic-meters of earth by the spells end. Less fiddly, is to simply use the caster's POW as the resistance vs. an opponent's DEX to navigate the area without falling or becoming mired in earth. Personally, I'd go for the latter, it assumes that a high POW produces a more violent effect, without adding unnecessary details.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp