Broos

MrJealousy

So I've got to run a Broo PC one off game today for my regular gang. The plot revolves around them try to kidnap and deliver a spring virgin to a sacrificial altar without defiling her.

They've killed lots of broo in their normal weekly game, but I wonder if they really know what they have let themselves in for.

I've got two ideas for how this will ultimately end, both of them messy.

One is they are successful and the broo tribe gains strength through the sacrifice. Later, in the regular game, the players will find and have to deal with this nest of broo and they will have made it harder for themselves because the tribe will be stronger.

My second ending is, they get the victim but cannot restrain their nature and defile her before they get her back. Resulting in a failed ritual for the broo. The chief broo will know what has happened, kill the players and the tribe is weaker when the players discover them in their regular game.

I suppose a third ending is that they get killed by wandering adventurers during the session...

My problem is how graphic should I let the game get? They seem to think it could be a bit of a laugh, but I don't want to allow them to think that broo are 'comic relief'.

Anyone got any comments?

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

This one could be pretty icky. If I was running this I'd rule the PC broo can control their lust. No die rolls. They will be lusting in their mind, but are smart enough to realize they'll be killed by the chief if they defile the sacrifice. I'd have plenty of NPC broo who are not that bright and are constantly trying to get at the girl. The PCs need to keep them under control and get out of enemy territory alive. You could steal from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" when the commanchero's raid the settlers wagon...

If broo meet something then generally then will infect it, screw it, kill it or eat it.

In your situation, the spring virgin is out of bounds for all those, except maybe infecting her. So, what's an up and coming broo to do? Take his frustration out on other people. Either people they meet, livestock they come across or each other.

Failing that, what is the penalty for deliberately failing the mission?

Bad for the clan? Broo don't normally care.

Their turn in the barrel? Depends on how graphic the game is.

Public Castration? A definite option.

Ripped apart by other broo? Another favourite.

If the broo don't have an idea of what will happen to them if they don't complete the mission, then they probably won't complete the mission.

As for broo being comic relief, they are in a way. Bear with me here. On the one hand, they are vicious, infectious rapists, who can turn a game around into a very dark place simply by being involved in the scenario. On the other hand, they can be dangerous threats who are always thwarted at the last minute.

Just, don't, don't, don't have the spring maiden as a PC.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I agree with filbanto. This could get disgusting really fast. I'd never attempt it. Only way to make it work is to go for the comic relief angle. Borrow a page from O. Henry's "The Ransom of Red Chief" with a good dash of Tex Avery and Looney Tunes thrown in. Make the intended victim (and how can the broo know for sure whether she's really a virgin?) such an unbearable Mary Sue idiot that the monstrous PCs will be desperate to ditch her.

Maybe beneath those golden locks she's horridly ugly even by broo standards. Maybe her perfume or body odor drives the broo wild in all the wrong ways. Maybe she's had a repressive upbringing and is eager to escape and cut loose, regardless of who with and what the consequences might be. Maybe she's just found out she's got only a week to live anyway and just doesn't care. Maybe she's radioactive or has a disease even the broo can't stomach. She insists on fixing meals for her captors and is a terrible cook -- or she's a frustrated fashion designer and must have her captors model all her avant garde concepts no matter how ridiculous that makes them look. Maybe she makes stupid puns incessantly. She's loud. She's annoying. She's demanding. She just won't go away even if they cut her bonds. She prefers the PCs to her previous situation. They can't simply kill her because of their orders, and they can't get rid of her no matter what they try. She will follow them wherever they go. In the face of wild animals, accident, or broo enemies, she's indestructible. No matter where they try to hide, when they turn around she will be there, smiling. Push it as far as you think you can get away with, then keep going. ;)

I wouldn't touch this scenario, sorry. In my opinion, Not Suitable for a Game.

If you want to run a one-shot of bad guys, and have its results affect the main campaign, sure. But I'd pick some other type of bad guy.

As for graphic versus comic, again, it's a Game. Supposed to be Fun. You can go for cartoon violence, sure, and pulse-pounding excitement, but graphic is something that I find to be far from Fun. And if all of your players think graphic is cool, well, wrong group for me.

Personally, I'm a great fan of the Orcs of Thar book, and I would do something along those lines in the scenario concept you propose.

I don't know what all the panic was about. We had a huge amount of fun rolling the characters up, the average number of limbs grew quickly. There was a Rhino that got its SIZ doubled, a Goat with 2 heads (where the second head was more intelligent than the first one), there were extra limbs and tails and wings and heads aplenty. The bat winged, tailed baboon appeared harmless! The giant Rhino developed a scorpion tail. The second head of the goat was a shaman. The three armed bear could also project ice and reflect spells. It was totally bonkers and working out the hit locations was a nightmare!

As to my carefully sculpted and mildly worrying plot... well, they totally ignored it and went off wandering in the wilderness. And when they did eventually stumble across a farmstead, they blundered in and pretty much killed everyone by accident before a moral qualm could be raised. There was one rape attempt, but that was on a corpse, so I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not... No children were physically harmed, but psychological harm was a recurring theme.

My players developed a new respect for the possibilities of chaotics in general and they still don't know that they will be meeting and attempting to kill their creations in a couple of weeks. They're going to wet themselves! Or maybe run away.

I appreciate the comments above from all of you and I was a little worried about what they would get up to. But it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I found that a one shot game didn't really leave much time for them to adjust to the new way of thinking. After creating the characters and by the time they were really 'getting it' we were approaching home time and it was over.

However, I will say that I don't run comic games. I like to present a serious world to my players and let them find their own amusement in it. Yes it could have gotten pretty icky, but I'm 44 and my group are all similar ages. We all like the occasional violent film and we don't tend to shy away from moral dilemmas (those that show up in our games at least). One of my players had asked for this game and I gave it to them, and I would do it again (as a one off) I think they gained a new understanding of broo and their proclivities and I'm hoping that extra nugget of knowledge will spill over into the regular game.

As for broo not being suitable for a game, Baron, I really have to disagree. They are dangerous, physically and intellectually, but they are also interesting because of that. I can't see how changing broo for... ogres, say, would have made much difference to how despicable the characters could have been.

Personally I can't immediately think of any taboo that I wouldn't touch in an rpg, it's fantasy, it's not real. So long as it doesn't become the focus of the group, I don't care. Rules are meant to be broken, taboos are meant to be touched. Treat the content seriously and with a little respect and, while the subject may be disturbing, you can still have fun with it.

However, I wouldn't recommend this type of game to everyone and I wouldn't want to run one for more than one evening.

Thanks for the comments guys. All of them very interesting.

If broo meet something then generally then will infect it, screw it, kill it or eat it.

They did a lot of killing and eating, it had a lot to do with them realizing that they had no equipment. So they had to kill stuff so they wouldn't get hungry.

On the other hand, they can be dangerous threats who are always thwarted at the last minute.

Yes, but the characters are going to be thwarted by their creators. A delicious irony if ever I saw one.

Just, don't, don't, don't have the spring maiden as a PC.

Dude! How sick do you think I am? :)

Dude! How sick do you think I am? :)

I refer you to the point made earlier ...

Personally I can't immediately think of any taboo that I wouldn't touch in an rpg, it's fantasy, it's not real. So long as it doesn't become the focus of the group, I don't care. Rules are meant to be broken, taboos are meant to be touched. Treat the content seriously and with a little respect and, while the subject may be disturbing, you can still have fun with it.

So, just how sick are you?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here