Shared world generation

Trifletraxor

Would you be interested in participating in a shared world(s) project?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in participating in a shared world(s) project?

• Yes, I would like to help develope a shared world for BRP.
    • Yes, I'd make my setting/world available in a shared univers (connected by gates?)
    • Too much work.
    • Not interested, as I want to keep the full copyright to my work.

I'm adding an open poll to see how many would be interested in participating in a shared world/wolds (to be better defined later) project, so we can see what resources we have here. :)

Such a project would have to be released under some sort of Creative Common license (or similar) - A "some rights reserved" license, not giving the authors the normal full copyright to the work (As that would defeat the "shared" part of the project.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Where is the pie option?

As much as I like polls, I kinda think this, or future polls related to the early formation of the project, should maybe not be actual click the option forum polls - but instead be 'post your opinion in the thread polls'.

It is too easy for people who really aren't that interested in project to just vote in a traditional poll, making it hard to filter out the 'serious' votes.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I also voted for the shared universe, but then I realized there would be a

"minor" problem: Translation.

Whoever is interested in it may get a copy of my setting's materials, but

the poor person would have to deal with the German language ...

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Best of Both Worlds.

How about we have one world that is shared and then anyone who wants to do a world connected by gates can do that as well.

We could have a central Nexus world or Gateworld (Nexus is taken but I think Gateworld is free) that could work as a hub for the Gateworlds.

That way those who want to write their own worlds can, and those who want to work on a shared concept can as well. Plus in one concept falters, an author could salvage his effort and work it into the other.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Gwenthia is a shared world fantasy roleplaying setting released under a Creative Commons licence. Now it is a core group that develop it, but under the licence anyone can use it for non commercial use. We are about 85% finished on a MRQ compatible ruleset for Gwenthia, which will be quite useable with BRP if you wish. Ok, plug over, here's the link: index

What I will say is that the process is very difficult, the balance between democracy, anarchism, shared ownership, egos, enthusiasm, apathy, friendship and the degree of benevolent dictatorship is very difficult to manage. It is a great thing and we have produced a great setting, but I would suggest that the way that that any project is set up is very very crucial. To that end I stand ready to answer questions and help with ideas.

I would certainly be willing to help out with either of the first two options. Dont know how exclusive the brp world writing club is though. The Organizing/editing/common agreement between parties seems like a bit of a nightmare.

294/420

I would certainly be willing to help out with either of the first two options. Dont know how exclusive the brp world writing club is though. The Organizing/editing/common agreement between parties seems like a bit of a nightmare.

It could be a nightmare. I'm all for jumping in and finding out how bad of one it is.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

I'd suggest some hard thought about structure. One thing that is worth thinking about is whether you have a core of writers, do you accept others and on what basis, what is the copyright/licence model to use. Is it a democratic, anarchist or benevolent dictatorship model. Do you use a wiki, if so is it open or limited access? I would also suggest that you see if you want to use a geographical or thematic allocation of writers to the project, thematic may prevent the danger of having multiple unrelated locations. How do you arbitrate decisons about the setting, how to resolve conflicts and release synergy and not stalemate..

Well, I voted for a shared world for BRP. I am cool with the Gate shared world option as well. Gates are a staple in fantasy and science-fiction and allow for a creative mish-mash while maintaining the feel of continuity, IMHO.

Best of Both Worlds.

How about we have one world that is shared and then anyone who wants to do a world connected by gates can do that as well.

It's a good idea. The shared world project would form a part (a world) in the shared universe project. The shared universe worlds could be galaxies away from each other, with gates being mostly inactive if the world creator(s) do not want to write in influence from a gate into their world.

Gwenthia is a shared world fantasy roleplaying setting released under a Creative Commons licence. Now it is a core group that develop it, but under the licence anyone can use it for non commercial use.

The license is also an important thing to discuss. The CC license Gwenthia uses would have to me a minimum for a "shared" world project to in effect be shared. Some people might have proplems giving up that much of the rights to their world, but I actually think a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported would be the best one. It allows commercial use of the work also, as long as anything released is also released under the same license. That's just one of those things we have to discuss when starting the project though.

It is a great thing and we have produced a great setting, but I would suggest that the way that that any project is set up is very very crucial. To that end I stand ready to answer questions and help with ideas.

Can you give some more info about how this was set up in the start, for Gwenthia?

Option one would need a lot of organizing and common agreement. The second will give you all the freedom you like (but a clearly bigger workload).

SGL.

I will post my feedback on Gwenthia and the project structure tomorrow. I am quite happy to posit a model and structure. Not going to take a lead but very keen to help transfer knowledge and ideas. It isn't a right-wrong thing, it's choices. I like the licence you suggest, and yes, some people don't always realise that they are having to to be truly open and what that means.

I will post my feedback on Gwenthia and the project structure tomorrow. I am quite happy to posit a model and structure. Not going to take a lead but very keen to help transfer knowledge and ideas. It isn't a right-wrong thing, it's choices. I like the licence you suggest, and yes, some people don't always realise that they are having to to be truly open and what that means.

I'd appreciate that. Some tips an hints from someone who'd allready done it before is invaluable. :)

SGL.

I'd appreciate that. Some tips an hints from someone who'd allready done it before is invaluable. :)

SGL.

I could send you the guidelines for Questworld. It was so much done but how Chasoium had planned to do it. While it probably won't do everything we want to do, it will probably have some good ideas that we could benefit from.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I could send you the guidelines for Questworld. It was so much done but how Chasoium had planned to do it. While it probably won't do everything we want to do, it will probably have some good ideas that we could benefit from.

That would be nice! :P

SGL.

Ok.

Here's how Gwenthia works:

There is a core group of people who write for it. We all agree to release our stuff under the CC licence below, and that if we publish commercially we will share the monies.

It all started with a map and handing out chunks of geography to each of the core team (actually we have 1-2 members without portfolio). When we started we put up a wiki (PMWiki) and a core set of editing rules. In addition we have multiple support forums on the Tavern BBS (tavern.zunder.org.uk :: View Forum - Gwenthia (public)) most of which are private. But the core strength of Gwenthia was that we met up every Monday night and collectively agreed the history and chronology using a very simple sort of game system, such that we collectively synergised a core mythology, history and interchange of ideas. In parallel each author wrote a guide to their area of the world. All of this is accessible from the Gwenthia home page and is useable non commercially by anyone. (Gwenthia by the Design Mechanism - Main - HomePage).

We did have some issues. Some people burned very bright, wrote some great stuff and then lost enthusiasm but given the open nature of the licence that need not be a problem. Others plugged away and slowly got a lot of good stuff. A few people have been very good joining the gaps and blurring the edges, or doing stuff like a full climate. One guy has done gorgeous maps and the world is very well illustrated. We had some spectalcular flamewars and one member left and deleted everything he had written from the wiki as he left.. but on the whole we have a good and interesting setting that is a little like the "alien fantasy" of Tekumel/Jorune/Talislanta with a good dollop of dark Moorcockian angst and lurking horrors, all wrapped in a culture well suited to the RQ cult style religions. I commend it as a place to have fun, you can add to it as you like and non commercially publish new stuff. Note that if you do, it also has to use the same licence, so your new stuff is then free to be used again by others.

Downsides? The group is closed, how people leave and join isn't always perfect, in fact you never leave, but it's not easy to join. It's a democracy but participation varies, and I think many people would have preferred a benevolent dictatorship, but I was clear from the start that I didn't want to stifle creativity and the opportunity for left-field ideas to come from nowhere. The biggest long term issue I see is that because we geographically allocated areas to people, they tended to 'own' them, and as such developed it alone and in some ways we have some great places with clear identity, but we then had to do a lot of work to reknit it all together into a more integrated real world with geopolitics and cultural links. The Monday night meetups to decide history and culture really helped with that. I would recommend that any project doesn't allocate by geography, but rather does so thematically: maybe religions, military, cities, ethnic groups, art, etc. I also think that a collective mechanism to generate cross border/theme ideas/facts/cultures. We still have the northern continent of Gwenthia to work on and I think that we will go for a non geographical approach for that.

How do I think that a new project should proceed? Well I think you have to address the following questions:

1. Anarchy/Democracy/Autocracy
  2. Which CC or OGL License and what to do if a commercial opportunity emerges
  3. How to allocate work, geographically or by theme?
  4. How to release synergy and work as a team and not a disparate group of individuals
  5. How to have fun! (It is the objective after all)

I would recommend a wiki, they're so good for absent minded jotting over months that builds to a huge resource (Gwenthia by the Design Mechanism - Main - HomePage)

My view is that BRP could do with a nexus point: a city of some scale and mutable changeability where visitors from any BRP-like setting can meet and twist in and out of the myriad possibilities. The Viriconium city of M John Harrison, or Mieville's cities or the gothic structures of Peake would work. It has been done before with Planescape and it fits well with the whole Moorcock multiverse idea. A city that isn't quite the same every time you visit, where you can meet up with Lord Byron and Andy Warhol in a bistro run by a Hive Mind from Proxima Centauri sounds great.

I hope this helps, I hope that I have represented my colleagues in the Design Mechanism fairly and I wish you luck. I may even help..

Tom

Gwenthia is developed by the Design Mechanism Gwenthia is an idea by Tom Zunder. This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. To view a copy of this license, visit Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.0 Generic or send a letter to Creative Commons, 559 Nathan Abbott Way, Stanford, California 94305, USA.

I voted for publishing my own world (although it is rather 'cookie-cutter fantasy') but will have to re-do loads of derivative stuff first. In addition, I hope to be inspired to do bits for the Shared World - as well as submitting stuff to other world-authors for them to add to their own creations, if they wish...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.