The single shared world - what setting should it be?

Trifletraxor

The single shared world - what setting should it be?

I voting for fantasy, as that's the most used setting. A sci-fi setting can also be developed cooperatively, but with space travel is difficult to contain on one world (which might be good or bad, depending on how you see it).

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

My little slice of heaven would fit in either. The way I had originally envisioned it was as a slice of a sci fi game, but it will definitely work in a fantasy setting.

I'm going to vote for sci fi, just to see my vote thrown away.

How many votes are we going to need to commit, though? I think that it's a cold day in hell when anything but fantasy wins. My opinions on that aside, do we really need to keep this poll open for more than ten votes? Once we have a better idea who is going to commit time and resources to this idea, we should have a better idea of where everyone stands on genre.

At this point, I'm worried more about formatting. We should all be voting on formatting first.

121/420

My little slice of heaven would fit in either. The way I had originally envisioned it was as a slice of a sci fi game, but it will definitely work in a fantasy setting.

Options, that's good. :)

I'm going to vote for sci fi, just to see my vote thrown away.

Well, there's a lot of sci-fi GMs here to. But as you said, we'll see this clearer when we know who are willing to participate.

At this point, I'm worried more about formatting. We should all be voting on formatting first.

Formatting, what do you mean by that?

SGL.

Well, I could possibly see a mish-mash of both fantasy and science-fiction. If we are going to use the Gate mechanic, then this can easily be achieved. I could also envision Star Trek meets Spelljammer in the cold black. There is a well established precedent in fantasy settings that magic can be used for air and space travel.

BRP Ze 32/420

Well, I could possibly see a mish-mash of both fantasy and science-fiction. If we are going to use the Gate mechanic, then this can easily be achieved. I could also envision Star Trek meets Spelljammer in the cold black. There is a well established precedent in fantasy settings that magic can be used for air and space travel.

That would be a fantasy sci-fi, along the lines of "Fractured Worlds". If you go with plain fantasy for the single world, the gates can be present, but not have been used as long as can be remembered. That way, GMs that want to enter the world with their group from another world can come through the gates, but without haveing the entire history of the world influenced by them.

SGL.

I for making the single world concept Fantasy.

Sci-Fi would be best served with multiple worlds/star systems.

Otherwise I think the spaceships will overwhelm the magic. High tech weapon has a much greater range that magic.

There not too much a mage can do when the 16" naval guns open up while the Battleship is still 20 miles away. Even less if the "Battleship" opens up from is 500 miles away, while in orbit.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I for making the single world concept Fantasy.

Sci-Fi would be best served with multiple worlds/star systems.

I agree. Though I guess it could it have SF elements, like Blackmoor, Tekumel (and others of equal pedigree, I expect).

Otherwise I think the spaceships will overwhelm the magic. High tech weapon has a much greater range that magic.

There not too much a mage can do when the 16" naval guns open up while the Battleship is still 20 miles away. Even less if the "Battleship" opens up from is 500 miles away, while in orbit.

Er, I don't agree. "Alburziel, I release thee to destroy that belligerent behemoth/star!" "Yess, Masster..." What happens when a demon teleports in to the bridge, or amongst the ammo? It could go either way (and I'd probably put my money on the magic).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Yes, that is exactly why I would not appreciate a mix of fantasy and science

fiction: A single powerful magician could destroy my entire SF setting within

minutes, without my poor colonists even having a chance to understand what

is happening to their world.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Hang on, Magic v Sci-Fi wars might be fun! Which leads me to the thought...

If BRP is going to have Magic, Modern/Future Tech, Mutations and Supers, shouldn't we try to accommodate all of them?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I am all for fantasy.

I am strongly interested in the concept that started this whole discussion - trying to recover some of the setting flavor from BRP's infancy, namely a gritty low tech magic rich detailed fantasy world with character.

Not to say a couple of different projects couldn't come out of all this, but fantasy is what I am interested in.

Help kill a Trollkin here.