OT: Selling White Dwarfs

soltakss

Hiya All

I am thinking of clearing some space on my bookshelves and selling my ancient collection of White Dwarf magazines. I never read them and the RQ content is low enough for them not to be very interesting to me.

What I have is WD#20, WD#23-27, WD#29-102 with around 10 duplicates. They are mostly in good condition, hardly ever read and stored in folders. I also have 5 White Dwarf magazine holders (hardback, in red with the White Dwarf logo on the spine and strings in the inside spine for holding magazines).

At the moment, I am leaning towards putting them on e-Bay as single magazines. I don't think people would be interested in buying the whole lot at once and I know that some people would be more interested in the binders than the magazines.

What do you think? Should I:

• Sell them one at a time?
  • Sell them in batches of 4 or 5?
  • Sell them all at once?
  • Sell the binders separately?

I've never bought or sold anything on e-Bay before, so I would be interested in people's opinions on how easy it is to sell things there.

I've also got RuneRiter #1-4 that I found in an old envelope, although I'm not sure what the demand would be for those.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Guest Vile Traveller

I re-bought all my old WDs on eBay, from about #100 back as far as I could afford. As a buyer, I always liked to buy the individual issues, of course - that way I could pick and choose which I wanted. I did end up buying a few duplicates because sellers put them up in batches of 2 to 5.

So, it depends on you. It's more work selling them one-by-one, but you might get rid of them faster. On the other hand, the pre #100 issues sell pretty well, anyway, so you might be able to sell them in batches, too. But I'd definitely sell the pre #40 individually, you should get a good price.

I sold a load of gaming mags last year including over 50 White Dwarf's. If I were you I would sell the pre issue 100 seperately and any issues after that in bundles of 3. The binders should definately be sold seperately and should sell easily. You may not make a lot of money for your effort but it's better than nothing and it does free up space for more books :) The mags will go but you may have to relist some a couple of times to get rid of them all. If you have a scanner I would recomend scanning in any articles you like before you say goodbye to them forever!

If you have a scanner I would recomend scanning in any articles you like before you say goodbye to them forever!

Except of course that you wouldn't coz that would be illegal and the Jokeshop do like their litigation. Regardless of the fact that its not possible to but the articles or magazines in a way which provides any money to the authors or IP holders scanning in is illegal in its own right ('No part of this publication may be copied or reporduced........ without the prior permission of the publisher') and owning digital copies of something to which you do not own the original DTF more so (since if you own the DTF you might get away with the defence that you bought and own it anyway and the electronic version is not commercially available)

You might of course think that thought very hard but I'm sure that you would not post the advice in a public forum and put yourself at risk.

Of course selling said magazines on eBay is technically illegal anyway ('shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out ...etc etc')

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Guest Vile Traveller

That's a very good point. You should never, ever, scan anything before selling it on eBay or anywhere else, no matter how useful or nostalgically entertaining you might find said scans in the future, not to mention their potential historical value to future generations. And you certainly shouldn't sell them on eBay, either, or anywhere else, although hypothetically the best way to get rid of them would be by putting up the pre #100 issues one-by-one. :)

Edited by Vile

• 2 weeks later...

Except of course that you wouldn't coz that would be illegal and the Jokeshop do like their litigation. Regardless of the fact that its not possible to but the articles or magazines in a way which provides any money to the authors or IP holders scanning in is illegal in its own right ('No part of this publication may be copied or reporduced........ without the prior permission of the publisher') and owning digital copies of something to which you do not own the original DTF more so (since if you own the DTF you might get away with the defence that you bought and own it anyway and the electronic version is not commercially available)

You might of course think that thought very hard but I'm sure that you would not post the advice in a public forum and put yourself at risk.

Of course selling said magazines on eBay is technically illegal anyway ('shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out ...etc etc')

Al

Oooooh I'm so scared!

• 5 years later...

Hiya All

At the moment, I am leaning towards putting them on e-Bay as single magazines. I don't think people would be interested in buying the whole lot at once and I know that some people would be more interested in the binders than the magazines.

What do you think? Should I:

• Sell them one at a time?
  • Sell them in batches of 4 or 5?
  • Sell them all at once?
  • Sell the binders separately?

I've never bought or sold anything on e-Bay before, so I would be interested in people's opinions on how easy it is to sell things there.

One thing you can do when you go to list on ebay is see how similar items have sold recently( relying on my memory). That should help with your decision. Probably the less the stuff is worth, the more you should bundle it up.

I have found that although you can sell the stuff on ebay, it will probably be more work than you think. Replying to buyers questions, figuring out shipping costs to various places in the world, corresponding once the auction is over, packaging up the stuff, getting it to the post, etc. Don't forget to add in all the extra costs into your shipping and handling

If you have a FLGS that will sell used stuff or even just take it off your hands, you might want to consider that for the less valuable stuff.

One of the problems is that the cost of shipping is getting so high that even if someone wants to buy the mag, they probably don't want to pay the real cost of shipping.

Edited by wbcreighton

I use  fantasygrounds.com

Why are people replying to a five year old thread?

I know that Gianni was asking about the Runerites that Simon had, but surely Simon has sold his White Dwarfs in five years and needs no further advice.

By people I guess you mean you and me ?

I know why I replied ( I didn't see the date of the posts on this tablet I'm using)

Why did you join in ? And do we REALLY know that he sold his WDs ?

I use  fantasygrounds.com

Why are people replying to a five year old thread?

Because age hath no meaning on the interweb.

I know that Gianni was asking about the Runerites that Simon had, but surely Simon has sold his White Dwarfs in five years and needs no further advice.

Ummm, you'd think so, wouldn't you. :(

Why did you join in ? And do we REALLY know that he sold his WDs ?

Actually, they are still sat there gathering dust. I couldn't be bothered in the end.

So, if anyone wants to take them off my hands for me, I'm open to offers.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Are these any good? I've heard about them but never seen one.

Yeah, but are those RuneRites any good?

Trying not to be unkind here, RuneRiter was of an age. That was the age when a fanzine on photocopied double-sided A4 paper, folded in half was fine. At that time, yes, it was great to have ideas about RQ in print.

However, now? It would be done differently in the modern age.

I'm not the best salesman in the world, I must admit.

So, if anyone wants to take them off my hands for me, I'm open to offers.

The nice men who come round with a lorry every week will do it, quite reasonably. They took several boxes of mine a few months back. (Just the post-100 junk - the others are lovingly preserved in their red leather binders, naturally).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I'm with Pete. I lost all my WD collection during a move in the early 90s. If I was working right now, I'd totally make you an offer on them. Ah, well.

Please don't contact me with Chaosium questions. I'm no longer associated with the company, and have no idea what the new management is doing.