[Fire and Sword] Future plans for Fire and Sword

raymond_turney

Hi,

The current short term plans for Fire and Sword involve:

A second iteration of The Tishrei setting, doubled in length of forty pages with a map of where of its place in the world, three noble houses added and maybe some new temples and other institutions. I'm writing page 31 now.

A second iteration of the second edition, with a few new minor rules {fame points as script immunity/heroic effort points, Pow requirements to sacrifice for divine spells, etc), characer sheets added as an appendix to the rules, etc.

A start on game mastering Fire and Sword at conventions, notably Dundracon in the Bay Area, to increase awareness of the rules and the numer of people who know how to play.

Is there anyone out there who would like to GM Fire and Sword at a convention?

Comments, anyone?

A book version of the rules is under consideration, using print on demand technology

Thanks for your interest in Fire and Sword,

Ray,

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ray,

Finally downloaded a copy of Fire and Sword...the internet in trashcanistan is the intermittent-net...that and my schedule precluded me from getting it earlier ;-(

I am impressed :happy:

I like the cleanliness of the system. I have not had the opportunity to really delve into the system as much as I would like, but I when I do, I will PM you with impressions, feedback, etc.

:thumb:

Take care!

-STS

• 2 months later...

Hi,

The third edition is now out.

A 4th edition is planned. It will contain some version of roleplaying extension to cover passions, virtues and vices. The idea is to integrate these into the more "powergame" aspects of the rules, and leave room for characters to evolve in play. If anyone else has any ideas to offer in this area, I'll be happy to consider them.

A few other things like a much more extensive price list giving the FTE/grade level at which things become available is also planned. Am currently thinking of rewriting magic item creation and tables so it is clear how to make all magic items in the tables, and what the base cost and level of availability of the items are.

A printed version available from Lulu is being considered. It would have cover and chapter art, etc.

The City of Tirhrei supplement is fitfully being expanded. Does anyone have any ideas on what would help Fire and Sword users most?

Thinking of adding an introductory scenario and and an Orkpak.

Coments anyone?

Ray,

Edited by raymond_turney
  • Thanks 1

A printed version available from Lulu is being considered. It would have cover and chapter art, etc.

Nice. :)

The City of Tirhrei supplement is fitfully being expanded. Does anyone have any ideas on what would help Fire and Sword users most?

Thinking of adding an introductory scenario and and an Orkpak.

An expanded City of Tirhei setting with an introductory scenario sounds like a great gateway into the Fire & Sword system. Looking forward to it. :)

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 4 years later...

I just wanted to reply to this thread, old as it is, to say that I really enjoyed reading Fire and Sword and its desgn notes. Several of its ideas are fulminating around my head and are likely to or have already made their way into my own games.

1. Fame, status and favors

2. The hitpointless 'incapacitate' roll

3. The 2d6 improvement rolls to encourage general skill improvement (to counter the general 'adventurer' skillset convergence)

4. The living expenses rules which reduce in game bookkeeping

Thanks Ray for a great variation on the d100 family (Fire and Sword even dares to dump that!)

• Thanks 1

Guest Vile Traveller

Yes, those design notes are worth their weight in enchanted iron! ;t)

It's a pity Ray doesn't seem to hang out on the intertubes any more, it's only recently that I've had a chance to give F&S a thorough read.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/20/2015 at 7:11 PM, Vile said:

Sooo ... has anyone heard from Ray these past years?

Ray had a stroke in 2011, and is still alive and still playing Fire & Sword, but over the phone in our house campaign game, which is Lunar.

I'm attaching his last updated version. We've made some house campaign changes since then, and gotten approval from him, but this is the last "official" version

BTW, this has also been sent to the folks working on RQ4, so hopefully some Fire & Sword ideas will be incorporated.

Fire and Sword.oct2010.doc

• Like 3

Guest Vile Traveller

Thank you for updating us, Glorion. At least it answers the question, although not in a way any of us would wish. I'm glad to hear he's still gaming. By the way, has he considered publishing the game, even as a free PDF or at-cost print-on-demand? I think it deserves a bigger audience.

On 10.4.2017 at 11:07 PM, Glorion said:

I'm attaching his last updated version. We've made some house campaign changes since then, and gotten approval from him, but this is the last "official" version

Would it be okay to also upload it to the Fire and Sword folder in the downloads section?

• Like 1

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:20 PM, Vile said:

Thank you for updating us, Glorion. At least it answers the question, although not in a way any of us would wish. I'm glad to hear he's still gaming. By the way, has he considered publishing the game, even as a free PDF or at-cost print-on-demand? I think it deserves a bigger audience.

It's released under the Free Art Licence. You can look it up, but here's some relevant clauses:

2.1 FREEDOM TO COPY (OR TO MAKE REPRODUCTIONS) 
You have the right to copy this work for yourself, your friends or any other person, whatever the technique used.

2.2 FREEDOM TO DISTRIBUTE, TO PERFORM IN PUBLIC 
You have the right to distribute copies of this work; whether modified or not, whatever the medium and the place, with or without any charge, provided that you:
attach this license without any modification to the copies of this work or indicate precisely where the license can be found,
specify to the recipient the names of the author(s) of the originals, including yours if you have modified the work,
specify to the recipient where to access the originals (either initial or subsequent).
The authors of the originals may, if they wish to, give you the right to distribute the originals under the same conditions as the copies.

So anyone can release a high quality PDF and even charge for it if they want.