Your Favorite Gloranthan Deities/Demigods, etc.?

QueenJadisOfCharn

What are some of your favorite Powers of Glorantha? My tastes are a bit nihilistic, Wakboth and Kajabor really do it for me (though there's not a lot of information I can find, being as Wakboth is dead and Kajabor is (?). If I were to play in Glorantha I'd be strongly tempted to make a character who took them as her patrons, though I am not sure this would have any benefit other than inviting a hanging by the non-Chaos cults.

My favourite is Doburdan, Pelorian Storm God. Basically, he comes in, blows about a bit and then blows out again. Ultimately a bit useless. But, he does have a big club and can use it to fly Captain-Caveman style.

As to Wakboth, he is the big bad beastie, the one they are all afraid of. In my "Future Glorantha", the Block could get knocked over and he could be released, playing a devastating part in the Hero Wars. In fact, there are groups of ogres who are trying to free Wakboth in my current game.

Kajabor is Annihilation, the Void, but was itself annihilated as part of the Compromise, or was he?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As to Wakboth, he is the big bad beastie, the one they are all afraid of. In my "Future Glorantha", the Block could get knocked over and he could be released, playing a devastating part in the Hero Wars. In fact, there are groups of ogres who are trying to free Wakboth in my current game.

Kajabor is Annihilation, the Void, but was itself annihilated as part of the Compromise, or was he?

Kajabor either became Time or that's a story people made up to sleep better. Even if true, it means Kajabor 'won', since that makes him rhe almighty God Above gods. There is some dispute as to whether Wakboth killed Kajabor and zent him to Hell or the reverse.

There was a fanzine detailing the Block and its environs, including a group of Uz or ogres trying to free the Devil. There was also a pathetic spirit in his bones, claimwto be Wakboth's soul.

As I am thinking about what I want to do for my d100 game I am strongly tempted to combine elements of Glorantha, Middle Earth and the Young Kingdoms, making an alliance of Morgoth and Wakboth in Hell (ie Angband) with Melkoe trying to resurrect the Devil for his own purposes a. 'Live, Wakboth, Live!', as a play on the AD&D module 'Die, Vecna, Die!'.

I've always been curious what the Hell Wakboth is supposed to look like. The only illustration I've seen makes him a Displacer Beast on steroids.

• 1 year later...

I'm an Orlanthi at heart with a fondness for Kargan Tor.  Kyger Litor, Zorak Zoran and Dehore deserve honorable mention. ;-)

Sorry for the edit, I HAVE to throw in Pavis, campaign requirements preclude leaving him out.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

• 1 year later...

I loved the monster hunter version of Magasta in "Strangers in Prax".

I also love the sheer weirdness of Gorakiki the giant Insect Goddess of the trolls.

I also find it funny that those pathetic Orlanthi are just misinterpreting the worship of Shargash... typical.

I always thought Orlanth was a pretty cool dude, full of ballsy bravado

Also you can't get much more cunning than Yinkin

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 2 weeks later...

Big fan of Nysalor/Gbaji.

Nothing quite captures the subtlety of Glorantha as that whole story does for me.

Any long-running Glorantha DM has to sort of figure out (at least for themselves) who's the 'good guy' in that whole story (including Arkat, of course).

• Like 1

I'll go for the remnants of the Celestial Court, Larnste and Uleria. Uleria for obvious reasons, Larnste for making the universe non-static and changeable. Any character of mine was a lay worshipper of these two.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

From an evil GM's perspective my favorite antagonists are Krarsht, Ompalam, Thanatari/Atyar and Gark the Calm. From a player character standpoint I like Lhankor Mhy, Donandar, Eurmal/Trickster, Humakt, Seven Mothers and Yelm/Yelmalio. Grazer deities are cool too. But right at the top of the divine heap must stand Mastakos and Orlanth.

Cheers.

Evilroddy.

As a sprog, I went for Humakt; but for the sheer range of what one can say and see Issaries is really growing on me. Not much good for a "combat character" of course. Curiously, I've found Orlanthi easy to play after-a-fashion but almost impossible to play well; what with all those interwoven and oft-conflicting responsibilities.

If we were based in Dragon Pass, I imagine Yinkin would be a lot of fun; although maybe there would be a little too much by way of escaping from outraged husbands/spouses/partners/parents [and so on ad nauseam].

I have fond memories of playing an Issaries merchant in the Griffin Mountain campaign, so Issaries has been my favorite for a long time. I find a number of deities to be marvelously unique constructions of literary brilliance, including: Thanatar, Humakt, Orlanth, Ernalda, and Arkat.

I also have a soft spot for the quirky niche entities like the Three Feathered Rivals, the Cannon Cult, Geo, and River Horse.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.